Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 119

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Where is the post-FX communication?

  1. #1

    Where is the post-FX communication?

    Shortly before Frontier Expo, there was a thread in which Dale, in all his amazing communication and input to the community here, mentioned that following the expo, Frontier would be more communicative. We're a few weeks beyond the expo now and nothing seems to have changed.

    There's no consistent communication of goals and plans, no new initiatives to demonstrate players are being heard and their concerns addressed. The newsletters remain void of any meaty development-related news, instead remaining focused on community goals and store highlights. There's no developer diaries discussing the trials and tribulations of delivering such a complex game. It's just the same old silence we've had for a year now.

    So what happened? Where is the communication we were told would arrive after Frontier Expo? When is Frontier going to get serious about interfacing with their community of fans outside of tightly-controlled marketing arenas?

  2. #2
    maybe someone is searching for the narrative which was lost right before the release of 2.4 ?

  3. #3
    Communication and post from Dale: Coming Soon™

  4. #4
    It does seem to have gone awfully quiet.

  5. #5
    I remember when my Thursday revolved around the Dev Diary update on the forum. Then the Friday was the newsletter with actual news about game development. I loved it, every week i would look forward to it. Now there is nothing like this, which is a real shame

  6. #6
    Im so used to the silence i dont know what i miss out on..

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Communication and post from Dale: Coming Soon™
    Even if it's "soon" as measured by Frontier, a post from Dale is always cause for celebration.

  8. #8
    I believe Ed mentioned on last weeks livestream that they are planning a series of more in depth techy livestreams by different devs. iirc before Horizons they did a planet tech one, and Dav has been on a few times about the BGS and the galaxy. More of that would be welcome, maybe a deeper dive into, proc gen spawning (signal sources etc) missions etc.

  9. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #9
    Frontier Expo covered a lot that we wanted to talk about and while we want to go into more details about the features announced it's only been a couple of weeks since the expo. Development takes time, but more will come! The design/dev team are keen on taking community feedback and incorporating that into the features. We want to do this in a very targeted and meaningful way that will give the most impact to the dev team and allow for that feedback loop to be really effective.

    I apologise if what I said set the wrong expectation. It's possible I wasn't clear enough with my communication there, and that's my bad! We definitely don't want people jumping to conclusions and being expectant without cause, but at the same time we want to let you know that we want to create this awesome content to give you insights into what's coming. It's not been forgotten or abandoned, it just has to be done in line with what the development team do, as it requires a lot of their time too.

    So... the plan was, and still is, to have deep-dive livestreams to go into various parts of ED's. Logistics of making this happen need to balance with the needs of the development team to work on the game. As an example, the "How to make a Galaxy" talk at FX by Ant Ross is a great one - especially since it's highly requested from the community - looking at how Stellar Forge was made. These kinds of talks and presentations take a solid chunk of time, so we have to be careful not to do this at critical times for the team(s) involved.

    We've still got content coming over the 2.4 period. There will be some weeks that are busier than others so I will be cheeky and ask for your patience on this a little further on this. As ever, we'll keep you updated on the latest happenings through our usual channels; here on the forums, livestreams, social media, or if you're in shouting distance we'll do that too!

  10. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #10
    Originally Posted by Alex Brentnall View Post (Source)
    I believe Ed mentioned on last weeks livestream that they are planning a series of more in depth techy livestreams by different devs. iirc before Horizons they did a planet tech one, and Dav has been on a few times about the BGS and the galaxy. More of that would be welcome, maybe a deeper dive into, proc gen spawning (signal sources etc) missions etc.
    Yes, I believe this was mentioned at one part of last week's stream. That's still our plan. We know how much you guys love those.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    Yes, I believe this was mentioned at one part of last week's stream. That's still our plan. We know how much you guys love those.
    Just make Dav do it every week the others are cool too, but Dav rocks.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    Yes, I believe this was mentioned at one part of last week's stream. That's still our plan. We know how much you guys love those.
    Called it.

    Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    Frontier Expo covered a lot that we wanted to talk about and while we want to go into more details about the features announced it's only been a couple of weeks since the expo. Development takes time, but more will come! The design/dev team are keen on taking community feedback and incorporating that into the features. We want to do this in a very targeted and meaningful way that will give the most impact to the dev team and allow for that feedback loop to be really effective.

    I apologise if what I said set the wrong expectation. It's possible I wasn't clear enough with my communication there, and that's my bad! We definitely don't want people jumping to conclusions and being expectant without cause, but at the same time we want to let you know that we want to create this awesome content to give you insights into what's coming. It's not been forgotten or abandoned, it just has to be done in line with what the development team do, as it requires a lot of their time too.

    So... the plan was, and still is, to have deep-dive livestreams to go into various parts of ED's. Logistics of making this happen need to balance with the needs of the development team to work on the game. As an example, the "How to make a Galaxy" talk at FX by Ant Ross is a great one - especially since it's highly requested from the community - looking at how Stellar Forge was made. These kinds of talks and presentations take a solid chunk of time, so we have to be careful not to do this at critical times for the team(s) involved.

    We've still got content coming over the 2.4 period. There will be some weeks that are busier than others so I will be cheeky and ask for your patience on this a little further on this. As ever, we'll keep you updated on the latest happenings through our usual channels; here on the forums, livestreams, social media, or if you're in shouting distance we'll do that too!
    But that was certainly a lot Sooner™ than the average Soon™

    But as always, thank you, Dale - clarification and feedback are always greatly appreciated.

    I'd like to wager a gentleman's bet here - Stellar Forge is far less interesting than it sounds. I have a vision of a large database entry front-end where oodles of data are fed into it, and it sits and quietly crunches that data into what we can see in Elite. Not much to look at by itself, but it wasn't designed to run by itself. Without the Elite client, there's really not much to see, except for perhaps a dialog window that says "Galactic Data Processed Successfully" or some less-exciting notification.

    Now the inner workings - how all that data is crunched and turned into the pretty (and not so pretty [read: beige]) things we see in game, that might be a bit more interesting.

    For myself, I'd rather see an inside look at the Cobra Engine itself - some of the hand-designing and hand-placing of Interesting Things and at the Mission Builder. That's the sort of thing that really piques my interests.

  13. #13
    Any chance of the dev(s) responsible for the macOS port making a surprise 10 minute appearance in a stream to answer questions on, you know, macOS Horizons?

    Or as it's known, the missing

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    Yes, I believe this was mentioned at one part of last week's stream. That's still our plan. We know how much you guys love those.
    Sorry Dale, I don't know about "these guys". Maybe they exist, but as a non-native speaker listening to these streams is like listening to a 1 hour sermon for an atheist. In the end my understanding very much depends on the written summaries delivered by some friendly guys.

    But don't get me wrong, I always find posts like yours very soothing, are they at least a vital sign of life [and the best thing: in written form!], even if no real information was delivered. I wish the forum would have filters for threads with moderator or developer input, cause all this noise and drivel in this mega forum and the way I'm reading it (maybe I'm doing it wrong? I'm usually looking for new posts...) are pulling on my nerves on the long run and certainly are a potential source of my occasional frustration.

    Sorry when using the words "I" and "me" a bit too often, but I only can and want speak on my behalf in this regard.

  15. #15
    Amiga: You won't see Horizons on Macs until Apple get their open gl implementation up to date. It has nothing to do with FD.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast