Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Circumnavigating a planet (for charity)

Never knew quite how cool ice looks on the SRV cockpit... o.O

Lunatic

Supported!

May the gods of Foxcroft be with you CMDR.

I have circumnavigated a number of small bodies in normal flight, I have covered entire moons on three occasions, Coltan for instance required me to fly 50,000kms at around 400Mps to do a complete surface scan, that took me more than a week of playing (not constantly of course), but fortunately with the right method you can relax a bit, it doesn't require constant attention like driving, that will be a challenge, I look forward to your finish announcement!

Originally Posted by varonica View Post (Source)
    May the gods of Foxcroft be with you CMDR.

I have circumnavigated a number of small bodies in normal flight, I have covered entire moons on three occasions, Coltan for instance required me to fly 50,000kms at around 400Mps to do a complete surface scan, that took me more than a week of playing (not constantly of course), but fortunately with the right method you can relax a bit, it doesn't require constant attention like driving, that will be a challenge, I look forward to your finish announcement!
    Thanks Varonica! And thanks for providing me with a place to do this, so far I'm really loving this little potato planet. The landscape is perfect (it's like Tiny Wings on acid), the gravity is leaving me with lots of boost in reserve for emergency rock-bounce recoveries and as for the backdrop ... who'd have thought that a blue-grey nebula on a dark black background would look quite so stunning!

Updated the OP with a bit more information about Special Effect and why it's a charity dear to my heart. Thanks to Alison (and everyone at Special Effect - and Ceyda's mum too!) for supplying the extra material and, basically, for everything you do.

From the back seat: "Dad, are we there yet?"

If it wasn't for the fact I just had to buy a whole new car, because my old ones wheels practically fell off*, I'd be donating!
    Alas, I'm in need of donations myself. Lol

What you're doing is the very definition of insane. Lol

This needs to be grouped affair.

Driving around a planet is silly and fun, but driving around a planet with as many SRVs as possible is even more silly, and even more fun!

* Subframe rotted away, meaning the wheels basically pointed whatever way they wanted! Felt very similar to driving the SRV. Lol

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)
    Driving around a planet is silly and fun, but driving around a planet with as many SRVs as possible is even more silly, and even more fun!
    .. and suicidal given the way SRV collision damage appears to scale exponentially with the number of commanders who happen to be in the same instance!

M'lud, I present exhibit A (from last weeks Hutton Trucker SRV race on Wasat A 2 E) ...

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    .. and suicidal given the way SRV collision damage appears to scale exponentially with the number of commanders who happen to be in the same instance!

M'lud, I present exhibit A (from last weeks Hutton Trucker SRV race on Wasat A 2 E) ...

I've been saying it for ages.

Rocks are overpowered. Lol

Great mad wonderful idea! Supported, obviously.

Originally Posted by Macedonica View Post (Source)
    Great mad wonderful idea! Supported, obviously.
    Thanks mate, much appreciated!

This is all truly epic, Commander +1+1+1+1 ...
    Admire the plug for Special Effect and will donate.
    One point - it seems to me (SRV novice) you are more 'flying' (crashing?) rather than driving - I think we need a new word to describe this activity - it is sort of 'scooting' along

Oh and the videos are great

Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post (Source)
    This is all truly epic, Commander +1+1+1+1 ...
    Admire the plug for Special Effect and will donate.
    One point - it seems to me (SRV novice) you are more 'flying' (crashing?) rather than driving - I think we need a new word to describe this activity - it is sort of 'scooting' along
    The word I prefer to use (can't remember if I mentioned it in the OP) is "fliving"

Thanks for the rep and even more for the donation!

NEWS FLASH

As an added little promotion, and as a way of saying thanks, I now have 5 golden SRV paintjobs to giveaway. What I'll do (when I finally complete my journey) is put the names of all those who donated into a random draw, first five names chosen win a free paintjob.

P.S. not sure if I'll manage to cover any ground today ... lot's to do but if possible I'll try to knock off another 100km later on this afternoon.

Nice view ahead! (maybe the sun will be up again by the time I get rolling)

Originally Posted by dannysquid View Post (Source)
    Good luck. This is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to do but fear sadness and the end of relationships!

My favourite thing about ELITE is the awe-inspiring sense of futility and loneliness you get from staying up late at night, staring out over giant procedurally-generated craters on entirely fictional moons nobody else will ever see. But I can see why they don't advertise futile loneliness as a selling point, even if it is maybe the most extraordinary thing about the game.
    Indeed.

Originally Posted by Armageddon
    Oscar:
    Ok, Mr. Truman, let's say that we actually do land on this. What's it gonna be like up there?

Truman:
    200 degrees in the sunlight, minus 200 in the shade, canyons of razor-sharp rock, unpredictable gravitational conditions, unexpected eruptions, things like that.

Oscar:
    Okay, so the scariest environment imaginable. Thanks. That's all you gotta say, scariest environment imaginable.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    The word I prefer to use (can't remember if I mentioned it in the OP) is "fliving"
    Yep - Fliving (added to my dictionary!) it is then - flive safely

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast