Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Circumnavigating a planet (for charity)

Originally Posted by Nick Sticks View Post (Source)
    Yes, the plan is to be there tomorrow at 5:45am and see you cross the finishing line.
    My wife thinks I'm mad.
    I know I'm mad.
    LOL - ditto

Originally Posted by Nick Sticks View Post (Source)
    If you would like the full load of videos I took which are in much higher quality than YouTube shows then let me know - there's about 9.5GB.
    Nah, it's OK - what you've uploaded is ace. I expecially love that short (any chance of fading the sound out at the end?).

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    LOL - ditto

Nah, it's OK - what you've uploaded is ace. I expecially love that short (any chance of fading the sound out at the end?).
    Ok. The sound was supposed to fade out and it did once, but I was having trouble getting just that clip from the whole take as I haven't edited video for a long while, and I'm only using MS Movie Maker!
    I'll have another go at it.

Great start to the morning Alec & Nick, admittedly I was a little late to the party due to waiting for my girlfriend to go to work..... But hey, made it for the final tea and buns.
    I like the shadows those spikes cast Cmdr Nick, umm maybe everyone spike up their ships at the stargazer asteroid station for tomorrow ? I think I may.
    To The Max !!!

Flimley

Going 75m/s with 28% Hull...
    Godspeed!

Ooh, how did I miss this earlier! Awesome drive, and good call on the charity fundraising.

Doh! Forgot the little spinny globe surface map video thing for the day 6 update.

Post #68 also now corrected.

OK, I feel that full disclosure is in order here.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Cmdr Tannik Seldon!

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Ooh, how did I miss this earlier! Awesome drive, and good call on the charity fundraising.
    It was actually Cmdr Seldon's epic 3000km drive half way around 241 G. Aquarii 3 D that partially inspired this little venture of mine!

The-Aquarian-Job-goes-badly-wrong-How-I-lost-a-ship-mid-race-but-am-still-in-the-running

I also feel obliged to point out (wasn't 100% certain about this until about an hour ago) that I'm also not the first person to entirely circumnavigate a planet/moon in an SRV.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you ... again ... Cmdr Tannik Seldon!

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...mnavigating_a/

I do this, not to embarass poor Sushi (who's a thoroughly nice chap by the way) but simply to point out, for historic accuracy and before someone else does, that I'm not actually the first nor the fastest. Also, as a fan of SRV fliving videos, it was a great excuse to share two more!

o7

Thanks for the shout-out!

I believe credit for the first person to circumnavigate in an SRV actually goes to Disorganize:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...cannonball-run

The planet he picked was much bigger than either of ours, it was a truly epic endeavor.

I don't even have the speed record: I can't seem to find it now, but that belongs to whoever it was CMDR Timmy Brabston who flew an SRV into a low orbit (so that they never hit the ground, but also didn't go too high and lose control) and then managed to come back down safely after one full loop around. Really cool stuff.

EDIT: Found it! It was CMDR Timmy Brabston. You've got to see this for yourself, it's incredible, and criminally underappreciated:

Well, if a picture is worth a thousand words then this is probably the one!

Full report later but thanks to everyone for their support ... it's been quite a ride!

Congrats Alec, I spiked up my ship and pre landed last night at the finish line in preparation for the ticker tape parade. Aaaaaaaanndd woke up one hour too late.

Flimley

Originally Posted by Flimley View Post (Source)
    Congrats Alec, I spiked up my ship and pre landed last night at the finish line in preparation for the ticker tape parade. Aaaaaaaanndd woke up one hour too late.

Flimley
    Drat ... sorry about that, my bad for being such an early riser! We waited for you on the mound but got kicked at 7am by the Thursday server reboot. You were with us in spirit!

Thankyou Alec. Made a bit of a donation for your good cause. +1v-rep
    And will update with a "I was there" (too late) screen shot later.

Flimley

Originally Posted by Flimley View Post (Source)

Flimley
    Ah, too bad. Two spiked ships would have been great.
    The early starts are a killer, I thought I'd stopped doing them.

Alec spiked on my Cobra III:

Saying goodbye is a hard thing to do!

But before we get to that let's rewind an hour. I don't mind confessing that fears of being ganked on the final (very well publicised) leg of this journey have been keeping me awake at night. At 5am I can bare it no longer and decide (sorry tho' I am for Nick and Flimley and Sushi) that I'm just gonna get up and fly the final stretch while everyone else (good and bad alike) are still asleep.

It's 5:15am on the 9th November 3303, there's 125km left to go, it's dark and I'm wearing sun glasses, hit it!

I've only been fliving for a short while when I get a request from Tannik Seldon for co-ordinates. Within minutes he's next to me in his own SRV and we continue the rest of the journey together, me setting a gentle pace (I'm taking no risks today (ish) and want to savour every second of this final section) and stearing a course back towards the place I started and Tannik matching speed and flying alongside me. A really quite beautiful moment if I'm honest!

About half an hour later I see Nick login and send him a mid-air wing request. He decides to try and find us by himself (respect) but, despite there being two sets of headlights to pick out against the vast and empty landscape he eventually gives up and joins the wing. And then there were three.

We're close now, very close. Time for one last push.

At this point I have to apologise to my American/Canadian cousins (Tannik included I suspect). The copyright police have finally caught up with me and the audio on the video (Butterfly's Wing by Mercury Rev) is blocked in certain countries. Have to say I'm gutted by that because it's a beautiful track and fits that video really nicely. I'm gonna leave it as is for now (maybe you can find the track elsewhere and hit play at the appropriate moment?). Sorry guys ... if you really really want to see it then let me know and I'll see if I can find an alternative soundtrack for it. See inside SPOILER below.

Here's a version that's hopefully suitable for the American market!

And that brings us to where we came in. I crest a ridge and there it is ... the crater opening out before me and the little mound in the middle where this all started 7 days ago.

I don't mind admitting (although I doubt the other two realised it at the time) that a tear comes to my eye. As far as I'm concerned I've been travelling in a straight line and yet here I am, right back where I started. I've had a few moments like this in this game ... a true and deeply profound sense of scale. This might be just a game but the galaxy it's recreating is very real. Little moons like this really do exist out there (millions of them) and if we could travel to one, land, and deploy an actual SRV then we could do what I've just done for real. I type the message you see at the top ...

Now that I'm here I'm reluctant to finish.

Ho hum ... let's do this thing!

The final five and a half minutes ... unedited.

I've travelled a total distance of 1240km in 7hrs 43min over the course of 7 days (averaging 44.5m/s).

I've made two new friends and been re-united with an old one.

And you guys ... wow ... you guys have raised a total of 317 (so far*1) which I GUARANTEE you will help to make someone's life so SO much more liveable.

Thank you ... and farewell for now.

o7

*1 I'm not 100% certain what the ethical/conventional thing is to do here but currently I'm planning on leaving the donations page open at least until the end of the weekend.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    At this point I have to apologise to my American/Canadian cousins (Tannik included I suspect). The copyright police have finally caught up with me and the audio on the video (Butterfly's Wing by Mercury Rev) is blocked in certain countries. Have to say I'm gutted by that because it's a beautiful track and fits that video really nicely. I'm gonna leave it as is for now (maybe you can find the track elsewhere and hit play at the appropriate moment?). Sorry guys ... if you really really want to see it then let me know and I'll see if I can find an alternative soundtrack for it.
    OK, fear not ... I've found another track that I've used before (so it should be OK to use again) and fits nearly as well. Uploading now.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast