Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Circumnavigating a planet (for charity)

Excellent project and a noble cause. Good luck buddy, I'll be watching this thread and I'll spread the word around in my group's forums.

There is a worthy challenge. Well done!

Quick heads up to say that the JustGiving page has been giving me 500 errors all day. Bit irritating. Anyway, don't let this put you off. I'll see if I can contact them to sort it out so maybe try again tomorrow?

Just about to do my day 2 write-up!

Day #2 (04.11.3303)

First the stat's ...

Start co-ordinates -3, -123 (total SRV distance travelled = 8.35MM)

Finish co-ordinates -2, -66 (total SRV distance travelled = 8.53MM)

So that's 57° of longitude covered today which is approximately 169km (or roughly 200km according to the distance travelled reading), let's call it about 180km for a total of 330km so far (so nearly 1/3 of the way round already!).

After this morning's rather gloomy outlook I was fortunate enough to be back in bright sunshine for this afternoon's run. Here's a quick screenshot of Joe (I'm saving Maria until Joe's fuel has nearly run out - probably tomorrow actually) with the Call-out Charge landing in the background (I'd just fluffed an early flying bounce and, since I was stopped anyway, decided to repair via the ship rather than waste a valuable synthesis).

I'd already spotted that I was going to be crossing another large crater today (you can see it on the video above), so although I corrected my course slightly back to the right, I tried to stay far enough to the left to just skim past the edge of it. What actually happened was that I over-corrected and actually ended up catching some rough terrain just on the edge of it while doing 110m/s so I had a slightly scary few minutes at one point. I've captured some of that on video (it'll take a while to upload so I'll post it later). Anyway, here's the Call-out Charge parked on the edge of that crater, recalled for further repairs not long after the mid-air one you'll see in the video. The landscape behind the ship is what I've just crossed.

Other than that the only other thing to report today is my collection of interesting rocks that I've looked down upon as I glide across the ground like a leaf on the wind ..

.. watch how I soar!

ARGHHHH! That last one was a bit close.

n.b. the speed readout visible in those screenshots is mis-leading since the SRV shows the speed relative to the direction you're facing, I was actually doing something like 80m/s in that last one!

Anyway, here's my final screenshot of the day, Call-out Charge coming in to land in the background, see if you can spot Joe 90!

Still a long way to go!

o7

Sounds like someone's trying to find their own personal Dudenbeaumodeme.

Nice!

Wish I'd seen this earlier: the smallest radius planet within very easy reach of Sol is Mirphak A 2 c at 141 km.

Also within relatively easy reach, and a bit smaller is HIP 102918 1 a at radius 138 km

Probably the most spectacular location for this kind of event would be CSI+09-19289 2 e at radius 587 km. It is ringed and orbits a ringed giant, which orbits a Wolf-Rayet star, and is embedded in the NGC 6803 planetary nebula.

edit: CSI+09-19289 is about 5700 LYs from Sol

You flive like a madman!
    Keep going commander and good luck!

o7

Originally Posted by Metal Marty View Post (Source)
    You flive like a madman!
    Thanks! Speaking of which, as promised ... hitting rough terrain around the edge of that big crater at 110m/s.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Utterly life transforming.
    Words isn't enough, so I'll make this short:

O7

Just dropped a couple of creds into the jar for a worthy cause and a righteous pilot!

Of course, just driving around on a planetoid of such low mass is going to mess with its orbit, so now you've got to do another lap in the opposite direction to balance it out. It's physics. Leave it like you found it, Alex.

And right on, Commander!

At the risk of sounding like a jackass...

That's a moon, not a planet.

No, but seriously, good job, good luck, may the luck always be in your fliving.

Day #3 (05.11.3303)

Hi folks! Decided to take Maria out for her first spin today.

(OK, yes ... she does look an awful lot like Joe ... but then they match the ship!)

Just a short one really, was a bit off my game so decided to quit while I was ahead (I had a nasty collision that ripped the hull straight down to 4% ... it's not the end of the world if I lose an SRV but having come this far without doing so I'm of a mind to try and finish without a single explosion now).

Start co-ordinates: -1.96, -66.5 (total SRV distance travelled = 8.53MM)

Finish co-ordinates: -1.4, -22 (total SRV distance travelled = 8.67MM)

So that's 44.5° of longitude covered today which is approximately 132km (or roughly 140km according to distance travelled), let's call it about 138km for a total of 478km so far (approaching half way I reckon).

Here's today's "spot the SRV" competition.

Also just wanted to pass on my appreciation (again) to everyone that's donated to Special Effect. Thanks to you guys we've now broken my original £100 target which is absolutely awesome. I don't know about anyone else but I reckon' we should keep on going?

I'll leave you with this, a short video entitled "The loneliness of the long distance SRV driver".

o7

Originally Posted by ElectricZ View Post (Source)
    Leave it like you found it, Alex.
    It did occur to me to simply leave my PC logged in all week to preserve the instance and thereby the tire tracks. How awesome would it be to see this band of track marks going around the entire planet (oh all right, moon for the benefit of Mr Love)!

I think it may be a fun idea for two players to set off in opposite directions to see if they can join up on the other side?
    Although, it will probably end up like the film Capricorn one where one of the astronauts has to climb a near vertical mountain

Flimley

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast