Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Elite Dangerous Writing Contest - November 2017

Originally Posted by drew View Post (Source)
    Write on, Commanders!

Cheers,

Drew.
    LOL I had a Premonition someone would say that - only right it should be Drew

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    English only, thanks!
    what if its 2,200 words.... 2,000 is quite hard to be descriptive!

Originally Posted by CMDRmarqueA2 View Post (Source)
    A nit to pick... why do the ED novels all use single quotes for speech? 'It is like this... single quotes instead of the standard double quotes for speech.' ... drives me nuts. Is this a grammar convention of which I'm not aware?
    Single quotes is standard UK editorial style for dialogue. It's not a hard rule, but it's pretty consistently applied. Double quotes is typically for US published books.

Why? No idea.

Cheers,

Drew.

An exciting opportunity for those of us who love to write! 2,000 words is quite a challenge to develop a short story, though. Have to make every word count!

Well, here's my submission. Jack is my commander's name (it's really cosby714 but I use jack as his name for roleplaying) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bcTiNbFYtO67XBwXRVDjPRoOW0NIiQPCg1jT0w8WXgE/edit?usp=sharing

Very cool idea! Thank you! I've submitted a story. Feels like a chapter. Really enjoyed writing it.

Thanks Drew. Yeah, I posted a link after I researched it. Seems most of the English-speaking world does it that way, other than the USA.
    By the way, I read Elite: Reclamation a couple months back. Fun read! Cheers! 07

Done and won.

But good luck to the runners up ;-)

Hopefully I'll be able to either tune in to the live stream or catch a replay of it - I do like a good story, and there is quite a bit of talent around these parts.

Single quotes is standard UK editorial style for dialogue. It's not a hard rule, but it's pretty consistently applied. Double quotes is typically for US published books.

Why? No idea.

Cheers,

Drew.
    Because we're Americans, and that's just how we roll.
    Plus we call this thing ' an apostrophe and use it to join letters to other words.
    We call these " quotation marks, and since one usually quotes what someone else says...

I sense a love story coming between the Galactic Intern and biscuits in his life.

Why? No idea.
    In the US, the Chicago Manual of Style is all-knowing and all-powerful for the editor. My editor uses it with religious fervour.

http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/.../ch13/toc.html

Originally Posted by Turjan View Post (Source)
    LOL I had a Premonition someone would say that - only right it should be Drew
    Inevitable, really!

Cheers,

Drew.

That's my entry e-mailed in..
    It's from an aborted NaNoWriMo attempt last year.

Was going to do a book of short stories about the Distant World Expedition to Beagles point for NaNoWriMo.

But spent more time playing than actually writing...

I just checked my personal Character's Origin story and it is about 3,000 words, but I think I could take a potion from it and make it more interesting and shorter. hmmmm

Originally Posted by JohnStabler View Post (Source)
    This may be a good place to mention some writing software that I created a while back called Manuscriptor.

It's language tools can be quite useful for those who are new to creative writing. The free version is feature complete.
    I'm using Scrivener. free 30 day trial "NaNoWriMo version" available

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast