Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Elite Dangerous Writing Contest - November 2017

My story was 2500 words long!
    Was painfull trying to cut that last 500 words from a short story. Took out a few good sight gags and in-jokes.
    My "Hutton "Muggers" Friendly Jumpsuit" will need to wait for another story...

Originally Posted by CMDRmarqueA2 View Post (Source)
    A nit to pick... why do the ED novels all use single quotes for speech? 'It is like this... single quotes instead of the standard double quotes for speech.' ... drives me nuts. Is this a grammar convention of which I'm not aware?
    "Sheer laziness,ignorance of the application's correct usage,and fast readability.Orthographically,single quotes were used to denote a quotation within the speech 'bubble' denoted by the double quote It probably stems from the Austin period...but really anywhere from guttenburg on.And until the Hankyvator gets fixed,we've no way to judge just how far away that is...or even in which direction''.The voice drifting up the shaft continued "..'For lo,it has been written...'"..clank..clunk..." 'Sorry losers and haters,...but my iq... is one of the highest..and you..' " ...clang... " 'know it!Please dont feel so stupid ...insecure,it's not your fault.covefefe.' "

Originally Posted by drew View Post (Source)
    Single quotes is standard UK editorial style for dialogue. It's not a hard rule, but it's pretty consistently applied. Double quotes is typically for US published books.

Why? No idea.
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    Because we're Americans, and that's just how we roll.
    Plus we call this thing ' an apostrophe and use it to join letters to other words.
    We call these " quotation marks, and since one usually quotes what someone else says...
    I'm not going to dispute what Drew says, but I do find it odd that I (as British as a stick of Blackpool rock) was taught exactly as Indigo puts it. Is it a quirk that my schooling matched the American style, or merely a peculiarity of British editors/publishers compared to British teachers?

(And whilst I fully admit to needing the services of a good editor to bash my largely unpublished - and unpublishable - hoard of fiction into shape, I doubt I'll change the way I've been writing since I was a scabby-knee'd scribbler. It would be a lot of effort to reverse the ingrained habits of a lifetime!)

Good luck to all and sundry, though. I may just have a crack, too, as ED and the community have inspired me...

o7

Terms

• The works that you submit remains your creation as "fan fiction" and credit remains with you; however, should you wish to sell or profit from works created using Elite Dangerous intellectual property, you will need to acquire a license from our Licensing Team via email: licensing@elitedangerous.com
    • Any works submitted which includes characters already present in Elite Dangerous will not be considered canon - even in the case of the winning entry - and shall remain fan fiction
    • By entering this contest, you grant Frontier Developments permission to:
      • Re-distribute the submitted content on social media channels - in the case of winners and honorable mentions
      • In the case of the winner, read the story live on the 24h Charity Stream

So Frontier retains the rights to their own IP; obvious and understood.

Does the author retain the copyright for their submitted fiction?

Just asking in the context of the "By entering this contest, you grant Frontier Developments permission to:" bit.

Effectively the author is granting FD a license to use the work ("Re-distribute the submitted content on social media channels").

Thanks.

But I dont know 2000 words of english

Bill

<<

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    English only, thanks!
    Well damn, was going to write it in Swahili. Will have to deal with that inferior language of English then. Hehe!

Time to get writing

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    English only, thanks!

Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    Gibberish usually works on the forums
    I'd say that is overly optimistic..........

I've been toying with the idea of writing an online story of sorts, probably on Inara. This may just be the motivation I need, and could act as a prologue.

Well as I do like to stretch my writing muscles. I'm in! May the best author win!

Originally Posted by CMDR Terrorfirma View Post (Source)
    I just checked my personal Character's Origin story and it is about 3,000 words, but I think I could take a potion from it and make it more interesting and shorter. hmmmm
    I have a 50K word draft from which I have a chapter that would work well, but the chapter is 3,100! I'm having trouble cutting it down...got it down to 2,300. More work to do!

Originally Posted by drew View Post (Source)
    Single quotes is standard UK editorial style for dialogue. It's not a hard rule, but it's pretty consistently applied. Double quotes is typically for US published books.

Why? No idea.

Cheers,

Drew.
    Speaking of Anglicised (not Anglicized) and Americanised (not Americanized) punctuation styles; I wonder if we should be using the UK spelling conventions as well.

Well, my entry is in. That was a fun hour. Now I think I have to rename one of my ships . . . o7

Originally Posted by Manticore View Post (Source)
    Speaking of Anglicised (not Anglicized) and Americanised (not Americanized) punctuation styles; I wonder if we should be using the UK spelling conventions as well.
    Damn right, Learn how to spell colour right. ;-)

Originally Posted by William J Smith View Post (Source)
    But I dont know 2000 words of english

Bill
    I would recommend the dictionary because it's every other book in it. ;-)

Time to chase down my goose and pluck its bottom!

Had a flash of inspiration and was able to put something together after all, and have just this second hit send on the email to fire it off.

Don't suppose it'd be possible for FDev to post some of the submissions after the competition for us to read? Other than the winners and runners up, I mean.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast