Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Elite Dangerous Writing Contest - November 2017

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #16
    Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Follow-up question.

Do we also have to share our work here, or is only the delivery to you via Email required?
    Sharing your writing to here or elsewhere is optional, but we do need the submission emailed to us to be entered into the Writing Contest.

This may be a good place to mention some writing software that I created a while back called Manuscriptor.

It's language tools can be quite useful for those who are new to creative writing. The free version is feature complete.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Sharing your writing to here or elsewhere is optional, but we do need the submission emailed to us to be entered into the Writing Contest.
    Understood, thank you.

question about word length

Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    Greetings Commanders,
    [*]Be creative, there is no "wrong answer" - but please try to keep it PG13![*]Follow the rules below & make sure you agree to the terms before submitting your entry[/LIST]

Rules

• Your submission must be between 1,000 - 2,000 words in length
    Dale,

Does the short story have to be between 1,000 and 2,000 worlds as I have one just over 5,000 words I was thinking of using but if it has to be under 2,000 words to use, I can't use it.

Alison

I've edited my Fifty Shades ebook to change 'Anastasia' to 'Salomé' and 'Christian Grey' to 'Bongo Baggins'. Then I noticed the rule about adult content.

I'll just keep it for myself...

Good luck folks! Looking forward to reading/hearing the winning entry.

Ahem.... Write on, Commanders!

Cheers,

Drew.

Thanks for the opportunity, Dale/Frontier

Single Versus Double Quotes

A nit to pick... why do the ED novels all use single quotes for speech? 'It is like this... single quotes instead of the standard double quotes for speech.' ... drives me nuts. Is this a grammar convention of which I'm not aware?

Originally Posted by CMDRmarqueA2 View Post (Source)
    A nit to pick... why do the ED novels all use single quotes for speech? 'It is like this... single quotes instead of the standard double quotes for speech.' ... drives me nuts. Is this a grammar convention of which I'm not aware?
    I thought it was standard convention these days. I thought the same but then I noticed the single quote thing in all the Harry Potter books and if it's good enough for J.K., then I'll do it too.

;-)

Argh nooo

Have already burned through most of my good ideas for the year working on the fan fic thing ive been doing over on the lore forum, or I'd be well up for this

Best of luck to the folks that participate though, already looking forward to reading other peoples work

Testing to see if my sigfile works

“The truth.” Dumbledore sighed. “It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.” –The Philosopher’s Stone

AH HA! It's a European thing! From http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_v...te_simple.html

If you are an American, using quotation marks could hardly be simpler: Use double quotation marks at all times unless quoting something within a quotation, when you use single. It's different in the greater Anglosphere, where they generally use singles in books and doubles in newspapers. It's still pretty simple, but nothing so straightforward as here.

Just to confirm, these prizes can also be distributed to Xbox CMDRs as well, correct?

Sounds fun!

Although 2000 words is pretty small for a "novella." The stuff I've been writing is certainly too long, but maybe I could write a standalone-ish chapter... or something else entirely, I suppose.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast