Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amateur Astronomers?

I thought there would be more, too.

I've always had a general interest in astronomy, as I'm sure many who play Elite do, but I've only recently got my first scope. I originally wanted an 8" Dobsonian, that seems to be a good entry level scope but I found this one at a bargain. It's a 130/900 reflector on an EQ2 mount with a motor drive - it doesn't have a computer/go-to function, just a single axis motor. I haven't been able to see any of the planets in Sol just yet, due to timing and location, but finding faint deep sky objects and just the moon have been great .

I'm trying it out as a hobby and quite enjoying it, getting used to polar aligning the mount and getting better at finding celestial objects and tracking them... All in all it's a relaxing way spend a few hours outside.

It's not really an astrophotography scope but no doubt I'll point my phone or webcam down the eyepiece, once in a while.

Nice! Good old EQ2. I used to have one with my Orion 130ST I got started with. Was going to buy the tracking motor, but ended up selling the whole thing to finance the i80 for my eclipse trip. I did like it alot though, didn't really like parting with it but it wasn't getting much use after the dob arrived.

I did start doing some basic photography with the i80 and a DSLR. Nothing fancy, just short exposures to share with my FB peeps what I'm looking at. Astrophotography is a long road that ends in alot of money spent.

Leonid Meteor Shower this weekend, Don, you should be able to capture a bit of that with your DSLR

Originally Posted by Don Alvarez View Post (Source)
    Astrophotography is a long road that ends in alot of money spent.
    And that's the main reason why I stuck with planetary work only for the time being.

Even though, truth be told, some rudimentary deep sky astrophotography can be made even with extremely basic tools, just a DSLR with a moderately good lens can give results under a good sky. Attach it to a EQ mount and at lower focal length you can follow objects for several second even with a coarse alignment and a simple RA clock drive. With softwares like DeepSkyStacker it's possible to sum and process several short exposures to somewhat simulate having longer exposure times. With it, I managed to capture SN2014J in M82 (one of the closest and brightest supernovae of recent years) using only my 60D and a cheap Tamron 70-300 tele mounted on the EQ2 (and no clock drive), stacking several 4-5 seconds captures taken from my balcony, under an almost totally washed-out urban nightsky.
    Even as basic as it is, I'm still amazed at that image!

Originally Posted by mp4x View Post (Source)
    Leonid Meteor Shower this weekend, Don, you should be able to capture a bit of that with your DSLR
    Unfortunately I was away the weekend, and where I was, it rained of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12