Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSVR

Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post (Source)
    It would be interesting to see how well Elite would run on the PS4, if the graphics were set to Low.

I recently got a VR headset on PC, and since my machine is not far above the minimum spec, I wasn't sure if it would work very well. Surprisingly though, it is OK when run on VR Low quality settings (instead of high/ultra that I usually use). Part of the problem, I feel, is Sony. It would probably be easier to get PSVR to work on the PS4 Pro, but Sony won't let you do that, it has to work on all PS4s or you aren't doing it.

Graphics quality would need to be right down at Low, and as others have said, it needs to be running at 60fps as consistently as possible (FR drops are HORRIBLE in VR), but even that low detail level is amazing in VR. The immersion level goes off the chart and I don't really notice the reduced detail until I go down to a planet. It's something that I really hope FD can make happen, because it's awesome!
    Indeed. Sony (understandably) doesn't want to split their user base, so unfortunately everything has to work to a reasonable degree on the base PS4. We're stuck with that for the moment.

But even taking that into account, one of the most impressive early experiences I've had with my PSVR headset (running on a base PS4) is Battlezone - the graphics of which could be described as very low detail (the tanks you're fighting are low poly texture-less shapes), but it doesn't really matter due to the immersion of VR; it's still fun as hell and it still looks great.

Whilst I can fully appreciate that the simulation that is happening in the background of Elite Dangerous is far more complicated than anything that is going on in Battlezone, I think it still illustrates that high detail textures and 3d models are not necessarily vital to create a sufficient level of immersion. Providing the display resolution and the framerate are good enough, you can still get a feeling of presence – even if the graphics themselves look like they fell straight out of the 80’s.

And as I've said before, whilst I don't know the first thing about game development, I am aware that there are plenty of tricks and workarounds that clever developers can utilise to get things running at a suitable clip. I for one would be happy enough playing Elite in VR with flat shaded primitive shapes for ships if that's what it takes. I grew up playing Elite on the Acorn Electron for heaven’s sake.

But again, all I’m trying to say here is that our ongoing speculation is just that; speculation. At some point, we really need someone from Frontier to come out and tell us what’s up. Hopefully one day, perhaps not too far in the future, they will.

Fingers still crossed!

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post (Source)
    *Sigh*

We KNOW its a demanding game and a non trivial matter to run in VR at a sufficient level of quality. You may well be of the opinion that it's never going to happen - and you're welcome to that opinion.

But the actual developer of the game has said that they are looking into it. And so, there are those of us that are gonna need something more substantive than a suggestion from some forum user that we should "forget it" because they reckon it doesn't run correctly.

With all due respect, you don't have access the necessary information to make this statement. Unless you know something we don't?
    Mr Zodiac it makes most sense to ensure this fine game can run correctly on the bog standard PS4 first then implement VR! No?

Originally Posted by Star Tsar View Post (Source)
    Mr Zodiac it makes most sense to ensure this fine game can run correctly on the bog standard PS4 first then implement VR! No?
    Mr Tsar, I agree that Frontier should try their hardest to get this fine game running as "correctly" as possible (whatever your definition of "correctly" is) on the bog standard PS4. And so rather than simply "forgetting it" (as you suggested we should do in your previous post) perhaps we should wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to shed a little light on the current PSVR situation.

I'm glad we agree!

Originally Posted by Star Tsar View Post (Source)
    Its never been perfect on PC either but the VR is still there and a great experience.

To make everyone happy, the process of bringing ED to PSVR would very likely improve 'base' PS4 experience. This is one of the reasons I hope Frontier can bring 4K to PS4 Pro, because even though I don't own a Pro or 4K TV, I believe that whatever optimizations they make to the base code will likely improve the experience my a PS4 Slim as well.

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    To make everyone happy, the process of bringing ED to PSVR would very likely improve 'base' PS4 experience. This is one of the reasons I hope Frontier can bring 4K to PS4 Pro, because even though I don't own a Pro or 4K TV, I believe that whatever optimizations they make to the base code will likely improve the experience my a PS4 Slim as well.
    Question Duck: why does the pro hold no interest for you?
    off topic but asking as I've seen you say this before. Is it a value for money/upgrading thing?
    for me I upgraded and am happy I did, not trying to get you to go for it. Just genuinely interested as to why you are happy on the slim?

Originally Posted by YoBuck View Post (Source)
    Question Duck: why does the pro hold no interest for you?
    off topic but asking as I've seen you say this before. Is it a value for money/upgrading thing?
    for me I upgraded and am happy I did, not trying to get you to go for it. Just genuinely interested as to why you are happy on the slim?
    Originally the Pro was marketed for people who want 4K, but I'm very happy with my current 1080p display. Most games I play on my Slim look amazing, so right now the only reason I would buy a Pro is so ED can look better, and I'm not ready to spend $400 on ED.

There is also the issue of power consumption (which is a big deal for me), so I'm waiting and hoping that Sony eventually releases a PS4 Pro Slim at a reduced price someday. Then I might upgrade

ps - I picked up my Slim around this time last year (Black Friday) for about $200, which is half the price of the Pro. Yeah, I pinch pennies, too.

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    Originally the Pro was marketed for people who want 4K, but I'm very happy with my current 1080p display. Most games I play on my Slim look amazing, so right now the only reason I would buy a Pro is so ED can look better, and I'm not ready to spend $400 on ED.

There is also the issue of power consumption (which is a big deal for me), so I'm waiting and hoping that Sony eventually releases a PS4 Pro Slim at a reduced price someday. Then I might upgrade

ps - I picked up my Slim around this time last year (Black Friday) for about $200, which is half the price of the Pro. Yeah, I pinch pennies, too.

Good enough, sorry for off topic

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post (Source)
    snip/ Providing the display resolution and the framerate are good enough, you can still get a feeling of presence – even if the graphics themselves look like they fell straight out of the 80’s.
    I would pay some money for a psvr version of elite in wireframe models.

Make it happen Lloyd 7

Originally Posted by Mr Cynical View Post (Source)

Make it happen Lloyd 7
    me too, Im hoping to buy the psvr unit tomorrow, (for skyrim mainly) but if they could release a psvr version of ED it would definitely make my year

Originally Posted by MrSilent View Post (Source)
    me too, Im hoping to buy the psvr unit tomorrow, (for skyrim mainly) but if they could release a psvr version of ED it would definitely make my year
    Okay, so I've now played a few hours of Skyrim on my humble PSVR and I'm happy to report that it's fricking awesome. Okay, the graphics aren't great, it's full of bugs (it is Skyrim after all), and the VR features could be more 'fleshed out', but my god; just being free to wander around a massive open world like that in VR is just making me more frustrated that Frontier are still being so tight lipped about PSVR support for Elite.

C'mon Frontier, Bethesda are making you look bad!

Originally Posted by Mr Cynical View Post (Source)

Make it happen Lloyd 7
    OOLite in PSVR? I'm sure even standard PS4 could handle that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123