Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: (((sneak)))

Originally Posted by RagingxPenguin View Post (Source)
    If I had of seen you... I'd of done it just cause.
    RIP me.

Originally Posted by stormyuk View Post (Source)
    Can I have strategies for all please? Would be interesting to know what the tips are for the different situations as it can happen in all three to be honest when doing CGs.
    During the Rum CG I ran a shieldless DBX. Had a 129% roll for DD5s with Lightweight Alloys modded for Heavy Duty plus HRPs with Heavy Duty throughout (left one size four for cargo and no fuel scoop) with armored/shielded heat sinks. Got Top Ten 10% (not bad for a first time I think) and here's what I tried to do:

1) Arriving at the star: put my butt to it as close as I could and checked out targets in supercruise. Used a heat sink if I needed to stay close for a while. If I couldn't scan them, no problem, just checked their gamertags for familiar names. Once I felt the coast was clear I targeted the station and headed out...

2) ...by going up from the main star. Idea is that if you're travelling away from the gravity wells you will accelerate away from any would be attackers forever and make it harder to interdict you. You're also getting out of the main traffic lanes and not flying in a straight line at the most vulnerable speeds and angles possible to gankers (lots of us just hang out above the star and swoop in behind you). Idea is to fly in a big old arc to the target station while keeping your eye on supercruise the entire time (especially if anyone drops in behind you back at the star).

3) When I approached the station, I did so at maximum speed and attempted to put astronomical objects between myself and any other Commanders I felt were threatening me. Even dove between a planet and its ring system to dodge a guy. Wasn't afraid to use Emergency Drop and High Wake out either. Better to come back alive then stay and die. Kept looping back around objects to slow myself down, watching for anyone trying to get in behind me.

Of course, with all this, I got interdicted six times. You can't avoid it forever. Only got pulled down twice. First time was an idiot in a Corvette. Just boosted away at a random vector, hit silent running, and turned off flight assist (after a bit your drive trails disappear so he never saw me). One was serious (FDL and a FAS). I basically did what Rinzler recommends in his trading videos (fly at the pursuers and evade while using flight assist off) and calmly high waked. Then I repaired myself at a station before heading back into the fray.

It's all of these things taken together that let me hit Top 10% with no deaths.

Originally Posted by Phisto View Post (Source)
    During the Rum CG I ran a shieldless DBX. Had a 129% roll for DD5s with Lightweight Alloys modded for Heavy Duty plus HRPs with Heavy Duty throughout (left one size four for cargo and no fuel scoop) with armored/shielded heat sinks. Got Top Ten 10% (not bad for a first time I think) and here's what I tried to do:

1) Arriving at the star: put my butt to it as close as I could and checked out targets in supercruise. Used a heat sink if I needed to stay close for a while. If I couldn't scan them, no problem, just checked their gamertags for familiar names. Once I felt the coast was clear I targeted the station and headed out...

2) ...by going up from the main star. Idea is that if you're travelling away from the gravity wells you will accelerate away from any would be attackers forever and make it harder to interdict you. You're also getting out of the main traffic lanes and not flying in a straight line at the most vulnerable speeds and angles possible to gankers (lots of us just hang out above the star and swoop in behind you). Idea is to fly in a big old arc to the target station while keeping your eye on supercruise the entire time (especially if anyone drops in behind you back at the star).

3) When I approached the station, I did so at maximum speed and attempted to put astronomical objects between myself and any other Commanders I felt were threatening me. Even dove between a planet and its ring system to dodge a guy. Wasn't afraid to use Emergency Drop and High Wake out either. Better to come back alive then stay and die. Kept looping back around objects to slow myself down, watching for anyone trying to get in behind me.

Of course, with all this, I got interdicted six times. You can't avoid it forever. Only got pulled down twice. First time was an idiot in a Corvette. Just boosted away at a random vector, hit silent running, and turned off flight assist (after a bit your drive trails disappear so he never saw me). One was serious (FDL and a FAS). I basically did what Rinzler recommends in his trading videos (fly at the pursuers and evade while using flight assist off) and calmly high waked. Then I repaired myself at a station before heading back into the fray.

Awesome.

1. Fly into the system like a boss, because your T9/T7 has more shields and armor than some combat ships. Or your T6 is faster than most things.

2. Laugh at their FSD disruptor missiles, because they have a far longer cooldown than your FSD.

3. Tell people to git gud as you high wake to safety.

---------------------------------------------------

Oh wait. Most of you are whiny peasants who fly dumpsters.

1. Get interdicted

2. Die

3. fdev pls nerf
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, though.

Target a high wake destination. Check comms as soon as you drop in.

Hauler
    T7
    Asp Explorer*

No likely threats. Proceed to station.

Federal Corevette
    FDL
    FAS

Might be trouble.

Target potential dangers from your contacts panel. If they are players, you'll get the 'Show Gamercard' option when you target them. (If you check the tag, and you're a CG regular, you may recognize potentially dangerous people) You do not have to complete a scan, this will just waste time, unless they are already in front of you.

Take note of how far they are from you. Are they travelling away? Coming closer? Are they a hollow square or triangle? Is the ship hologram pointing in your general direction?

If they are, in fact, a hollow triangle that is coming closer and pointing in your general direction, then there's a good chance they are coming for that booty.

You have a few options here.

Drop out of SC, and boost away from your drop point, in case they follow you. In my experience, many will just wait for you to return to supercruise, but I've had people drop. Either jump to a neighboring system and try again, or wait a moment to return to supercuise, as they may have gone after someone else. Repeat as necessary.

If someone attempts to interdict you, it's okay to fight it. If for any reason you think you may lose, submit.

Now if you're in something big and slow, and your defenses are garbage, you might as well just sit there and take it. You're dead, son. If they *aren't* garbage, or you're in something small and nimble, prepare to jump to your already-selected destination. Again, the rinzler method is ideal. Pips to SYS, tank what you can. Boost past the attacker if possible. Charge FSD as soon as possible.

Fire SCBs if you have 'em (I recommend these on big slow stuff)Chaff chaff chaff until you're out, or your shields are gone. If your shields go, enter silent running, and use heat sinks as needed.

Align with destination. Once your countdown engages, you're home free. Find a place to repair/restock if necessary, try again.

I never take out-of-the-way routes, 99% of the time it's a beeline to the station. Works for me, should work for you.
    --------------------------------------------
    Anarchy starports such as Obsidian Orbital may be crowded, and have undesirables waiting outside.

Line up with the slot before you drop out of supercruise.

If you're big and slow, boost like crazy, and don't forget to request docking. Pray that your defenses are enough if they spot you.

Small and fast, just get in quick. Silent running if you're extra paranoid, just be careful.

* Beware the Battle Asp.

Originally Posted by Phisto View Post (Source)

Thanks! CMDR, some really good tips there, especially the hugging star. +Rep for the non patronising helpful response!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123