Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Killed by NPC within 15 seconds after interdiction

  1. #16
    He's not going to like the answers in this one either, as they will be exactly the same.

    He went into combat against a high level NPC (in a vulture) with his ship ill prepared for the job not to mention with no pips to his shields (4 C bi-weaves are also too small for the Annie even when fully powered) making them pretty much none existent oh & lightweight alloys, probably the smallest hull reinforcement you can fit to an annie too.

    In short, what the OP had was a glass cannon set up for long distance passenger runs, put it into a combat situation, the Vulture got behind him The Annie's lack of maneuverability allowed it to stay there with already weak shields made weaker with no pips and a very thin hull with nothing but the most basic hull plating. The inevitable happened, very quickly.

    Took a lot longer than 15 seconds though...

  2. #17
    4c biweaves.

    y tho

  3. #18
    Originally Posted by Viktor678 View Post (Source)
    So you're saying My fighting skills blow? Well thanks for your time pointing that out. While this sequence does not show what happened what I was destroyed within 15 seconds, the fact is that I was, and had nothing to do with my apparent worthlessness as a combat pilot, and ps4's don't have keyboards. Are you part of the Frontier support staff, or just some guy in his moms basement with elite next to his fake name and low self esteem?


    Wow, how un-charitable of you. Frankly you should thank Red and rep him besides. I doubt you will be able to find it in yourself to admit you're wrong and do so, so I will rep Red for you.

    +1 Red, well explained but not worth the trouble it would seem.

    Edit;

    Red, he did get his shields up...here on the forum with full pips! Nothing getting through!



    Oh, and by the way, I left "mommy's" basement a very, very long time ago to save you that slander.

  4. #19
    I saw the video before it was deleted. Here is what happened. i will ignore everything that happened before the situation turned against you.

    You had the npc at "no shields" and 13% hull.
    You felt confident. Overconfident, in fact. I recognize this fact because I would have done the same thing.
    Your flying and fighting got even more sloppy because... you thought the victory was in the bag. Remember screwing around looking at his modules instead of finishing him off?
    You are running turrets. when I fight with turrets it is easy to let the auto aim do the fighting for you. This is dangerous and I recognize the tendency on my own combat.

    Correct me if i am wrong but when he got you "from your engines" you have given him the opening in your armor and your weapons are worthless. You are toast.

    There was no design problem here.

    You are at a turning point in your combat career. You have two choices now.

    1. Recognize sage advice from fellow commanders, swallow your pride, and use this as an opportunity to improve and raise your understanding and skills to the next level.

    or

    2. Deny, retain your pride, and keep doing things the same way... and stay where you are. Forever on this plateau.

    For #1 you need to get over your emotions.

    There is a question you need to answer.... honestly... to yourself. You don't need to tell us your answer.

    Ask yourself "What is the REAL reason I took down that video? Was it to avoid the truth or evade continued embarrassment?"

    If you can find a way to face this you are doing better than the other 99% of humanity. If you cant face it then you are the 99%.

    Literally.

  5. This is the last staff post in this thread. #20
    Hey Cmdrs,

    Thanks for the report.

    Does anyone have a video of an npc destroying their ship in 15seconds?

    Any additional information about this would be appreciated.

  6. #21
    Originally Posted by Viktor678 View Post (Source)
    Shame you removed it. I was curious.

  7. #22
    Originally Posted by Ozram View Post (Source)
    Shame you removed it. I was curious.
    Well, unexpectedly, there was a pile on, so I took it down. What can I say, I have thin skin... AND my combat skills DO blow! Rather than being given a blow-by-blow accounting of what I already knew, that I suck balls at combat, I rather thought that I had posted on a site that was being answered by someone at Frontier. That isn't to say that his unhelpful comments and condescending adjectives like "inexplicably" didn't help with what I "should" do in combat situations, because they have. So cheers for that.

    As to your post Ozram, you're not missing anything but a mostly harmless combat pilot apparently not knowing how to fight in a barge, while doing passenger missions. I seemed to be getting by just fine before the 1.11 update:-) The clip didn't capture what I had experienced when it WAS 15 seconds, anyway. I guess my frequency claim isn't accurate, as I haven't had the problem since. I only brought it up because back when Engineers was released, I remember there was a bug where the npc's had over-engineered weapons that created the same combat result.

  8. #23
    Originally Posted by QA-Mitch View Post (Source)
    Hey Cmdrs,

    Thanks for the report.

    Does anyone have a video of an npc destroying their ship in 15seconds?

    Any additional information about this would be appreciated.
    Mitch-Unfortunately I do not, as it hasn't happened since. I was thinking it was a similar situation after the Engineers release, where the npc's had over-engineered weapons. Apparently, I just don't know what the hell to do in combat situations and outfitting. I suppose if no one else has experienced it, then this thread should be removed. Thanks.

  9. #24
    Originally Posted by Viktor678 View Post (Source)
    Well, unexpectedly, there was a pile on, so I took it down. What can I say, I have thin skin... AND my combat skills DO blow! Rather than being given a blow-by-blow accounting of what I already knew, that I suck balls at combat, I rather thought that I had posted on a site that was being answered by someone at Frontier. That isn't to say that his unhelpful comments and condescending adjectives like "inexplicably" didn't help with what I "should" do in combat situations, because they have. So cheers for that.

    As to your post Ozram, you're not missing anything but a mostly harmless combat pilot apparently not knowing how to fight in a barge, while doing passenger missions. I seemed to be getting by just fine before the 1.11 update:-) The clip didn't capture what I had experienced when it WAS 15 seconds, anyway. I guess my frequency claim isn't accurate, as I haven't had the problem since. I only brought it up because back when Engineers was released, I remember there was a bug where the npc's had over-engineered weapons that created the same combat result.
    No worries. You do get we all have to go through the learning curve yeah? Reason so many of us know the details of how and where a fight went wrong is often from poersonal experience. There’s no shame in that. Sometimes a little advice can go a long way. Cheers and good luck in the future!

  10. #25
    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    Why are you so mad? I explained to you why your 200m credit ship was killed by a weak npc. You can't start moaning about it when you did pretty much everything wrong.

    I have no idea why you are so offended, the entire reason I'm able to point this out to you is that I have seen literally hundreds of videos like the one you've now deleted (why?) since I started playing and literally hundreds of players coming on here saying 'look at the impossible npc in this vid'.

    Unlike you, when someone tries to explain the absolute basics of defence and combat a majority of them learn something from it and never have the same problem again. You seem to be far too arrogant to accept the possibility that you played any part in this though, which is unfortunate for you.

    My inclination here is actually just to tell you to go frak yourself with a stick given your know-all attitude but since I'm in a good mood, I'll try this one more time.

    You had NO PIPS in systems. Your shield is basically worthless with no pips in systems. If something is shooting at you move pips into systems. In combat situations, never, ever fly with no pips in systems. It is literally the most basic thing that you need to know about combat, before you even start to think about shooting something. That is what turned the npc getting behind you from being a minor inconvenience into a death sentence, because it was able to take your shield down inside about seven seconds. If you had moved four pips to systems, it wouldn't have been able to take them down inside two minutes.

    As for do I work for Frontier support, no. I'm also not 'some guy in his moms basement with elite next to his fake name and low self esteem' though. I'm a 46 year old man who has played this game for more than two years and doesn't get his Anaconda shredded by a master-rated vulture, who thought you might actually be a big enough person to accept that you may have done something wrong and have an interest in discovering what it was.

    So yes. The problem lies between controller (lol is that better?) and chair. Maybe if you parked your ego and stopped thinking you were the greatest combat pilot to ever log in, you might realise that and address it. Based on this post though, I'm not at all hopeful.

    The reason I replied by the way is that support have better things to do than teach you how to fly your ship. They are here to deal with actual bugs, not people who don't understand basic game mechanics. You would do better uploading that video again and making a post here:

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumd...ewcomers-Forum

    asking 'please explain why I lost my Anaconda in this fight'. When another 20 or more people tell you exactly what I did last night, maybe you'll accept it.

    To be absolutely clear it's not about your 'combat skills' as such, in fact in the video you linked you did a perfectly acceptable job of keeping the npc in the firing arcs of your turrets and were in complete control of the fight up to the moment that you let it get behind you, sufficiently so that until about 30 seconds from the end of the video I really couldn't imagine how you'd lost it even with the lack of pips to systems. You then made two errors though, the first one being letting it get behind you and the second one being failing to recognise the danger you were then in with zero pips to shields. The first mistake didn't have to be fatal but the second one is what ultimately ensured that it was.

    If you want a clear illustration of why putting pips to systems (i.e. shields) is important because I have to assume that you're not aware of this, here's a video that illustrates it. (It's from a while ago but the mechanic hasn't changed since then) Obviously the actual time taken to drop the shield here isn't the important part since it's a single weapon being fired for test purposes, it's the relative difference between zero to two pips to shields compared with four pips, which is what you should have done the moment you had an agile npc behind you and unloading on you:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrSXvCEergY

    After sticking four pips to your shields to ensure that you weren't going to lose them inside seven seconds, in your situation I'd have stuck the remaining two into engines and immediately have done either a straight boost to try to open some manoevering space, or a flight-assist off boost turn to quickly spin you round. Either one of those with a bit of roll applied simultaneously would have got your turrets back on the target and you'd have taken the remaining 20% of his hull out in short order, assuming that after you'd boosted you then moved the pips from engines into your weapons so that you didn't run out of gun juice.

    Pip management is important. You shouldn't just set them and forget them and especially if you think you're going to be fighting you should never fly with zero pips to systems. Back when I started playing the AI was sufficiently lame that you could just leave two pips in everything and fly around a res site for an hour killing everything but those days are long gone; you need to be keeping an awareness of what pips you have set where and changing them in reaction to the circumstances of the fight.

    Finally, as for what happened on the occasion that you were destroyed in fifteen seconds it was exactly what happened in the fifteen seconds of the removed video during which you went from about 80% shields to dead only without the two minutes of successfully shooting the npc first, presumably because it opened up on you right after the interdiction.

    Really, if you don't want to mess about learning pip management your best option if you're in an Anaconda and you get interdicted by a vulture is to simply submit to the interdiction (so that you get the shorter FSD cooldown period) and then just low wake back to supercruise if you're close to your destination, it probably won't get back into supercruise in time to interdict you again. Or just successfully evade the interdiction to begin with, although I accept that an anaconda vs a vulture is probably about as bad as the interdiction mini-game gets.



    What happened was exactly what I said mate - he had no pips in shields from during the interdiction right through to the end of the fight, let a Vulture get behind him, still didn't put any pips in shields and lost his Anaconda. This is after fighting it for two minutes and having the npc at 20% hull with its shields down. It got behind him because he decided to have a browse through the menus and lost track of where it was.
    Thank you Cmmdr. THIS is more helpful. When I am attacked, I attack back, my apologies. I appreciate your feedback, and perhaps we both have learned something by this exchange. Peace.

  11. #26
    Originally Posted by Viktor678 View Post (Source)
    Mitch-Unfortunately I do not, as it hasn't happened since. I was thinking it was a similar situation after the Engineers release, where the npc's had over-engineered weapons. Apparently, I just don't know what the hell to do in combat situations and outfitting. I suppose if no one else has experienced it, then this thread should be removed. Thanks.


    There you go. You will find that everyone would love to help you out and get you up to speed if you just ask. In this case, +1 for you for manning up.

    Edit;

    BTW, I am known to tuck tail and flee when necessary!

  12. #27
    OP, did you mean 15 sec to destruction after shields were gone? If so, it's possible you have a point about how fast the hull went down. I had something a little bit similar happen. I was in a CZ and stayed too long surrounded by about 4 or 5 enemies testing out my newly fresh corvette with 7c biweave and light hull. I let the shields collapse mistakenly because I was chasing "one more" target before trying to flee the npc-gank. Each enemy was somewhere from master to elite since I'm already combat elite. Then I was surprised the hull went down so fast, where it certainly seemed 15 seconds or less and I had to face the 27 mil rebuy. Some of those ships seemed to have kinetic weapons and rails also. Usually my gunship lasts far longer with shields gone where it had a mil grade hull. So I'm wondering if certain ships' hulls just buckle down that much easier. Or maybe I"m wrong and it's still working as intended. Light hull doesn't have resistances. Maybe the npcs all have military grade hulls and have hull reinforcement which doesn't show up in subtargeting.

  13. #28
    Originally Posted by krylite View Post (Source)
    OP, did you mean 15 sec to destruction after shields were gone? If so, it's possible you have a point about how fast the hull went down. I had something a little bit similar happen. I was in a CZ and stayed too long surrounded by about 4 or 5 enemies testing out my newly fresh corvette with 7c biweave and light hull. I let the shields collapse mistakenly because I was chasing "one more" target before trying to flee the npc-gank. Each enemy was somewhere from master to elite since I'm already combat elite. Then I was surprised the hull went down so fast, where it certainly seemed 15 seconds or less and I had to face the 27 mil rebuy. Some of those ships seemed to have kinetic weapons and rails also. Usually my gunship lasts far longer with shields gone where it had a mil grade hull. So I'm wondering if certain ships' hulls just buckle down that much easier. Or maybe I"m wrong and it's still working as intended. Light hull doesn't have resistances. Maybe the npcs all have military grade hulls and have hull reinforcement which doesn't show up in subtargeting.
    I wish I had experience in recording BEFORE I posted this, because it happened so fast that it felt like 15 for the whole combat episode (once I opened up on them). As I have learned, my pip management does not lead to lasting very long to superior weapons. My strategy has always been to use beam and pulse lasers, as many as I can, and just go for a quick kill. To achieve that, I have always put full pips in weapons when I engage to quickly knock out their shields and go for a quickie. I never had a problem as quickly in my Anaconda AND sparkly-new Cutter, which has the 2 military slots fully upgraded, as I have since the 1.11 PS4 update. I had the experience first in my annie, which I lost, then immediately after that in my cutter, but jumped the hell out before I lost that too. It didn't seem normal, but with that said, I know the quick loss was quicker than it would have been had I actually known the knowledge about pip management that Cmdr Red Anders so nicely posted in this thread. Unfortunately, I haven't had the same situation happen since, and I'm selectively engaging when interdicted now. I guess I hope it happens again, but with the knowledge gained of what I am doing wrong in combat, I expect to last longer.

  14. #29
    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    Why are you so mad? I explained to you why your 200m credit ship was killed by a weak npc. You can't start moaning about it when you did pretty much everything wrong.
    Nah, must be a broken game. ;)

    Good effort in trying to explain the errors. Repped for effort.

  15. #30
    Originally Posted by Viktor678 View Post (Source)
    I haven't had the same situation happen since, and I'm selectively engaging when interdicted now. I guess I hope it happens again, but with the knowledge gained of what I am doing wrong in combat, I expect to last longer.
    Good attitude. Repped.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast