Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Killed by NPC within 15 seconds after interdiction

Originally Posted by Viktor678 View Post (Source)
    Thank you Cmmdr. THIS is more helpful. When I am attacked, I attack back, my apologies. I appreciate your feedback, and perhaps we both have learned something by this exchange. Peace.
    No worries and I'm glad you found it helpful. I'll give you one more piece of advice actually; if that really was a class 4 bi-weave shield on the Anaconda switch it for a class 4A standard assuming you have the spare megajoule of extra power it takes. That alone will take your basic shields before any boosters from 222 MJ to 327 MJ and since boosters increase your basic shields by a percentage, if you do have a few boosters on you'll also get more benefit from them as X% of 327 is more than X% of 222.

A class 4 shield on a conda is never going to be strong (I have a class 4 on my exploration Anaconda but it's literally just there to stop me from taking damage on landing) but the main benefit of a bi-weave is that when you're not being fired on it will recharge faster. Trouble is an Anaconda is such a barge that it's really easy to hit, so your chances of getting out of an enemy's gun arc whilst it recharges are pretty slim. That makes the bi-weave's main selling point pretty much worthless and means you're better off with the extra strength of a standard shield.

Personally, I'd stick a 5A on it for extra security - swapping a 5E passenger cabin for a 5A shield and sticking a 4E passenger cabin in the class 4 slot will only cost you 8 passenger seats overall, which is nothing when you're running a conda full of bulk passenger cabins, but would give you 423MJ of shields (almost double what a class 4 bi-weave gives you even without any shield boosters) and should guarantee you can survive against anything for long enough to take it out, or jump out of danger.

Have to say though, you've hit upon the best solution in my opinion with simply being selective about when you fight. I use a Python for bulk passengers (I'm not running them from Haiden but from a group of four or five systems I've been developing and I can fill up much faster when I can dock at outposts as well as stations and planets) and I don't even have any weapons on it, if I can't avoid an interdiction no npc is going to damage me because I have grade 5 dirty drives on it and can boost at over 470.

If you've just got a new cutter and don't mind using large ships for passengers, give the cutter a go. I've used mine as a passenger ship and not only can you pack a frankly ludicrous number of people into it, a trip to Palin for grade 5 dirty drives on that will see it boosting at over 450. Additionally, even using a class 5A shield on it (which has to be specially engineered since a Cutter's hull mass is usually too much for a class 5...) with a handful of engineered boosters gives me about 1200 MJ of shields and there's no human npc in the game that is taking out 1200 MJ of shields on a ship that can do 450. Sure you can still fight if you want to but at least you get to choose the times you do and the times you don't.

Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    No worries and I'm glad you found it helpful. I'll give you one more piece of advice actually; if that really was a class 4 bi-weave shield on the Anaconda switch it for a class 4A standard assuming you have the spare megajoule of extra power it takes. That alone will take your basic shields before any boosters from 222 MJ to 327 MJ and since boosters increase your basic shields by a percentage, if you do have a few boosters on you'll also get more benefit from them as X% of 327 is more than X% of 222.

A class 4 shield on a conda is never going to be strong (I have a class 4 on my exploration Anaconda but it's literally just there to stop me from taking damage on landing) but the main benefit of a bi-weave is that when you're not being fired on it will recharge faster. Trouble is an Anaconda is such a barge that it's really easy to hit, so your chances of getting out of an enemy's gun arc whilst it recharges are pretty slim. That makes the bi-weave's main selling point pretty much worthless and means you're better off with the extra strength of a standard shield.

Personally, I'd stick a 5A on it for extra security - swapping a 5E passenger cabin for a 5A shield and sticking a 4E passenger cabin in the class 4 slot will only cost you 8 passenger seats overall, which is nothing when you're running a conda full of bulk passenger cabins, but would give you 423MJ of shields (almost double what a class 4 bi-weave gives you even without any shield boosters) and should guarantee you can survive against anything for long enough to take it out, or jump out of danger.

Have to say though, you've hit upon the best solution in my opinion with simply being selective about when you fight. I use a Python for bulk passengers (I'm not running them from Haiden but from a group of four or five systems I've been developing and I can fill up much faster when I can dock at outposts as well as stations and planets) and I don't even have any weapons on it, if I can't avoid an interdiction no npc is going to damage me because I have grade 5 dirty drives on it and can boost at over 470.

If you've just got a new cutter and don't mind using large ships for passengers, give the cutter a go. I've used mine as a passenger ship and not only can you pack a frankly ludicrous number of people into it, a trip to Palin for grade 5 dirty drives on that will see it boosting at over 450. Additionally, even using a class 5A shield on it (which has to be specially engineered since a Cutter's hull mass is usually too much for a class 5...) with a handful of engineered boosters gives me about 1200 MJ of shields and there's no human npc in the game that is taking out 1200 MJ of shields on a ship that can do 450. Sure you can still fight if you want to but at least you get to choose the times you do and the times you don't.
    I appreciate the feedback, thank you. Somehow, my current goal is to become elite in something, anything, so I decided to use my conda for passenger runs, and build up my trade ranking quicker (allllmmmmoooossst there). I had just finishedd grinding my empire rank to get the cutter, and equipped it sufficiently to take her out for a few runs and have minimal protection. I basically had a few million left over after getting the cutter(enough for insurance), and I hastily set out in my conda to run passengers, hastily because I had a 4 biweave still on it from an exploration run. I guess I've known to upgrade the shields, but to lazy to get to a system that actually has one (Haid n does not, and I'd rather just grind on the money). The pip video was enlightening, and along with your math on upgrading to a 4A at the least, would be a benefit. Just lazy, but I guess I need to bite the bullet and get outfitted better. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Viktor678 View Post (Source)
    I appreciate the feedback, thank you. Somehow, my current goal is to become elite in something, anything, so I decided to use my conda for passenger runs, and build up my trade ranking quicker (allllmmmmoooossst there). I had just finishedd grinding my empire rank to get the cutter, and equipped it sufficiently to take her out for a few runs and have minimal protection. I basically had a few million left over after getting the cutter(enough for insurance), and I hastily set out in my conda to run passengers, hastily because I had a 4 biweave still on it from an exploration run. I guess I've known to upgrade the shields, but to lazy to get to a system that actually has one (Haid n does not, and I'd rather just grind on the money). The pip video was enlightening, and along with your math on upgrading to a 4A at the least, would be a benefit. Just lazy, but I guess I need to bite the bullet and get outfitted better. Thanks again.

Howdy Viktor

Reds advice is, as always, good. I have taken it myself. Frankly, if you are really wanting to rank up to Elite I think the quickest way is via exploration these days. As much as I hate to mention it (I think it is a bit on the low side) you might look at...ahh hem....the road to riches (google it thats as close as I can get to it). Please, no one throw stones at me! Barring that, a nice tour within 3k to 5k of the bubble either + or - 1K of the plane will get you quickly where you would like to be. That will keep you close enough to be back in 1 or 2 (more or less) gaming sessions.

On another note, do you have your engineers fairly well opened (most important ones) and somewhat leveled up? Very important with a brick like the Cutter (my favorite ship). Really does take time and the mega bucks to get the Cutter where you have it finished. Still find myself trying slightly different weapons loadouts from time to time.

Good luck Cmdr, fly safe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123