Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Audio - A Space Oddity : In-game Comms Voice Echo

Audio - A Space Oddity : In-game Comms Voice Echo

Winged up with a pal last night in order to try to battle Thargoids.

Both of us have headsets with microphones, no one is using external speakers, and I have checked that my microphone is not set to "listen" in Windows (i.e. Windows is not set to play back my mic audio to me).

We started voice comms, in-game, and I could hear my own voice echo'ed back to me after about a 1 second delay. It's tolerable, but still rather annoying, and I hate the sound of my own voice

I found only a couple of old threads related to in-game comms and own voice being echo'ed back, but they weren't helpful and no conclusions were reached - and another thread on Steam with the same problem - again, no conclusion other than "It's the game doing it" (because other games - which I don't play so can't check - worked 100% fine with in-game comms).

My question is : could there be a bug in ED in which it echo's one's voice back to the me? If that's not the case, then there might still be some problem external to the game which is causing the echo - either with PC or the PC of the person I was winging up with.

Regards.

EDIT: Better description of the problem : the other guy's complete ED audio was being transmitted - I could hear everything that he did, including game sounds, Thargoids roaring at him, his ship sounds - exactly as if he was using external speakers yet he's using a headset.

2. This is the last staff post in this thread. #2
    It sounds like a configuration problem. Elite uses the Windows default device (you can't select it) for any microphone inputs so if your friend is using any clever configuration tricks with their audio then it's likely that their game audio is being fed back in. Best ask your friend how he's got everything set up to learn more about this

Originally Posted by CMDR Vanguard View Post (Source)
    It sounds like a configuration problem. Elite uses the Windows default device (you can't select it) for any microphone inputs so if your friend is using any clever configuration tricks with their audio then it's likely that their game audio is being fed back in. Best ask your friend how he's got everything set up to learn more about this
    Yeah I rather suspect this is the case too - it's just getting 'im to admit it

We're trying an alternative setup using Discord for talking to each other - and even then there have been... problems

Thanks for the response o7

Regards

setting up a push to talk key both ends will help as voice activation can pick up everthing with mic gain setup high