Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Anti Xeno Combat Initiative and Ship Outfit Suggestions for All

Always destroy the swarm first. Once destroyed, it does not respawn until a) you destroy a heart, or b) you take too long and the 'rage mode' starts. In rage mode the Thargoid spawns Thargons endlessly. You can stop it by killing a heart, but I feel you're learning then its best to get out at that point and try again.

Finally I got my first Thargoid kill. I will share my experiences and tactics later. In advance I have some questions. What is the best Thargoid engineering for Shield and Hull Reinforcment? Actually I have a G5 prismatic shield with thermal enhancement. This was for normal fight. Should I use the bi-wave or prismatic to engineer and with what effect?

Just my opinion but bi- weaves have no time to charge so probably best to go with prismatics, as much power as possible. Also check first post, GluttonyFang did a good writeup on best builds.

If you are going bi-weave then boosters off for recharging. They will come back much quicker.

The best shield mod is reinforced. You want as many MJ as possible.

Thanxs to all in the thread for patience and help. Now its time to give something back, so I'll share some experience.

The special point is that I'm not this high skilled player. Normally I'm playing Warframe, but here I have about 450 hous on my clock (Steam + Oculus).

1) I was never able to bring down the swarm with my remote flak. So I was forced to find another way. I distracted the swarm with my fighters. I have 2 fighters in my bay. If one was destroyed, I sent out the other. Many times when one was destroyed, the other was not ready (under construction). In this case run until the fighter is ready. Don't try to stay. You will not avoid damage, but when you stay you'll get massive damage and the fight is over very soon. Run as fast as you can, watch the construction time, relaunch when ready and back to fight.

2) I'm not good with fixed weapons so I tried everything - and I mean everything - with turrets. To make it short - learn targeting. Fixed weapons are the only chance to get the beast down in a time you can survive with your shield and armor (I have a corvette)

3) bring every piece of shield and armor your ship is able to carry. Throw everything else out. I have only a fighter hanger, a xeno scanner, scanner. This gives you the chance to survive as long you need to bring the Thargoid down

4) Engineer as much as you can.

5) When you are able to hull tank the yellow beams could be useful. The Thargoid is very near then and you can concentrate the fire. Fire everything you have. In some cases you will be able to open one heart only with this situation.

Nice advice. I'd only change that you need to learn to get the swarm down. I still have the fighters to distract the beast while I charge the shields but I have been thinking about skipping them for extra SCB.

Originally Posted by GluttonyFang View Post (Source)
    No problem, thanks for getting the word out.
    This is the gameplay I've been waiting for.
    o7

This is sort of a one-off question, but I have to ask.. since so many people fight these by flying in reverse anyways... has anyone bothered to test the effectiveness of Mines? I know what they do to regular ships and their shields, so I'm sort of curious to know if anyone's bothered to toss a few of these little surprises at an artichoke or a swarm.

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    This is sort of a one-off question, but I have to ask.. since so many people fight these by flying in reverse anyways... has anyone bothered to test the effectiveness of Mines? I know what they do to regular ships and their shields, so I'm sort of curious to know if anyone's bothered to toss a few of these little surprises at an artichoke or a swarm.
    The swarm doesn't trigger mines and the interceptors tank them like a boss.

I tested it early on @_@

My very first Thargoid encounter

So here is the result of my first take on a Cyclops

Sorry for the size, I was in VR at that time, but you can barely make out the 2% hull. The rest of the ship didn't look so great, too.

Things I've learned:

• Having AX missiles and AX-multis in the same weapon group is a bit confusing, because you'll be shown 2 reticules. (Frontier seriously now. This game has been out for a few years and we still can't reload our weapons or have different reticule colours? Do you even combat?).
    • I know how the FLAK cannon works. Fire, wait until all markers are lit for maximum effect, release fire button. But how to actually hit a swarm with it apparently requires a lot of practice. If anybody has some insight on that, I'll gladly take it.
    • Despite reading the opening post and the attack strategy, I've underestimated how subtle the effect is which indicates that the heart is vulnerable. I also wish we wouldn't have to fumble around with sub-targeting to select the right heart.
    • There is so much going on at the same time which requires your attention. I like it, but it's a bit overwhelming at the beginning. I've even let my shields drop although I had one SCB charge left.
    • The repair bill hurts.

Excellent thread, thanks for all who have offered advice.

I am looking at outfitting my FGS for AX combat. For those who have used this ship to solo kill a Thargoid, do you bother with A shields, boosters, and huge SCB? I ask because it's looking like the FGS is never going to be a decent shield tank, and I was wondering whether it was more worth while to go with bi-weave and focus on the hull tanking.

My main concern is going with a heavy 6A shield + boosters + SCB, then having them still be weak and failing, then taking ages to regenerate... All while I've given up precious hull to have this problem.

Originally Posted by dm0815 View Post (Source)
    Things I've learned:

• Having AX missiles and AX-multis in the same weapon group is a bit confusing, because you'll be shown 2 reticules. (Frontier seriously now. This game has been out for a few years and we still can't reload our weapons or have different reticule colours? Do you even combat?).
      indeed, same reticule for many different weapons is bad gamedesign
    • I know how the FLAK cannon works. Fire, wait until all markers are lit for maximum effect, release fire button. But how to actually hit a swarm with it apparently requires a lot of practice. If anybody has some insight on that, I'll gladly take it.
      git gud - you can train with normal npcs in haz-rez
    • Despite reading the opening post and the attack strategy, I've underestimated how subtle the effect is which indicates that the heart is vulnerable. I also wish we wouldn't have to fumble around with sub-targeting to select the right heart.
      its a big red glowing thing on a green ship on a mostly black background, a subtle glow and blinking on the target holo, and a "excerted" written nexdt to it on the left hand panel. what else do we need?
    • There is so much going on at the same time which requires your attention. I like it, but it's a bit overwhelming at the beginning. I've even let my shields drop although I had one SCB charge left.
      true true
    • The repair bill hurts.
      have a friend with repair limpets ready
    still better then the things that i have lerned:
    i still suck to much at piloting to even think about facing one...

Finally got the hang of the FLAK cannon and have some routine with the combat cycles. On my 3rd try I had it down to one heart, but had to disengage because my canopy broke. That was frustrating, but I'm sure I'll get it next time.

I don't think there is room for an AMFU. There is only so much that can be cramped into a Gunship. I also wonder if a Bi-Weave Shield wouldn't be a better choice. Any engineer mod recommendations for that?

Any videos of soloing Basilisk? Or even Medusa?

Originally Posted by Duderama View Post (Source)
    Any videos of soloing Basilisk? Or even Medusa?
    I saw only one video of soloing a Basilisk on reddit, or maybe here. You need look hard for it, not a common thing. The Basilisk is balanced against 4 Anaconda. To solo it, you need a god tier engineered Anaconda with prismatic shield to tank that heavy damage,(that was on that video) and also you need to be a hardcore godlike pilot with inhuman skills. (until we getting Thargoid specific armor, and engineering options for that and for AX weapons)

Soloing a Medusa? You don't know what is that It has a little size 96 swarm, and the ship only have such damage, it destroys a top notch Anaconda in few mins (or even seconds) oh I mentioned that it's regenerate faster than you can dps it? It has 6 hearts. It's like a 15 people raid boss in mmo-s. I think soloing will never happen.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast