Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti Xeno Combat Initiative and Ship Outfit Suggestions for All

Originally Posted by Vasious View Post (Source)
    Dumb question but why the fuel scoops?
    As I wrote, it's to accommodate traveling, and can be swapped out for anything else.

Personally I always carry a 6A scoop and 64 ton cargo rack on my Cutter all the time, no matter the outfit to stay versatile.

My two pence:

1) I disagree with the "don't bother with the repair limpets". When you fight in a wing you will eventually get hull damage against the goid. Having the repair limpets permits you to disengage, repair and join back to the battle.
    2) In my experience a wing of light and medium ships (cobra, DBscout, DBex, Viper, etc) can use speed, maneuverability and tactical coordination to take down a goid in a very effective way (and a very satisfying one, if you ask me).
    3) The real key is to coordinate the attacks. Someone in the squadron must give orders on what weapon to use and what heart to target (ie: "Everyone, use missiles" -> "Heart exerted, change for multicannon, second heart"). As well it can be very useful to order the squadron to engage the swarm if needed (ie: "Someone, take down that swarm!").
    4) In long engagements, an AFM may be very useful. That is specially true when you get hit by the yellow ray of death when you fly a light ship like a cobra. Half of your modules will get fried and very likely your power distributor will be heavily damaged. Once again: "Squadron, going back for repairs, hold him off".
    5) If able, bring some common weaponry, especially if you have size 1 hardpoints. It will be very useful to destroy the alien shields.
    6) The ECM module actually does affect the Thargon drones. It may save your life from a certain alien-missile-propelled death.
    7) Regarding shields, the best combo I found for my Python is the 6c Biweave shield with Hardened modification + 1 shield booster with explosive enhanced resistance. The fast recharge rate allows me to not use any shield bank cells and focus on hull resistance, while the explosive resistances ensures that I can hold of a Thargon Swarm suiciding against my ship.

Here are my builds for xeno hunting:

1) The Radiance, a fast and sturdy Cobra MK3. In this case I have a ax missil and a ax multi to hit the Thargoid at any moment of the battle. The speed of 500mps ensures that I can disengage if needed.
    2) The Star Dwealler, previously a pure scientific ship, now repurposed for the Thargoid threat. This python has been built to hold off the thargoid attacks for my squadron. It is very satisfying to be hit by the yellow ray of death... and simply shoot the goid back. The turreted multicannons help to hit the exerted hearts with ease.

Oh yeah, and I highly recommend to get military grade armor. You will really thank me later for those extra hitpoints!

Originally Posted by M. Volgrand View Post (Source)
    My two pence:

1) I disagree with the "don't bother with the repair limpets". When you fight in a wing you will eventually get hull damage against the goid. Having the repair limpets permits you to disengage, repair and join back to the battle.
    2) In my experience a wing of light and medium ships (cobra, DBscout, DBex, Viper, etc) can use speed, maneuverability and tactical coordination to take down a goid in a very effective way (and a very satisfying one, if you ask me).
    3) The real key is to coordinate the attacks. Someone in the squadron must give orders on what weapon to use and what heart to target (ie: "Everyone, use missiles" -> "Heart exerted, change for multicannon, second heart"). As well it can be very useful to order the squadron to engage the swarm if needed (ie: "Someone, take down that swarm!").
    4) In long engagements, an AFM may be very useful. That is specially true when you get hit by the yellow ray of death when you fly a light ship like a cobra. Half of your modules will get fried and very likely your power distributor will be heavily damaged. Once again: "Squadron, going back for repairs, hold him off".
    5) If able, bring some common weaponry, especially if you have size 1 hardpoints. It will be very useful to destroy the alien shields.
    6) The ECM module actually does affect the Thargon drones. It may save your life from a certain alien-missile-propelled death.
    7) Regarding shields, the best combo I found for my Python is the 6c Biweave shield with Hardened modification + 1 shield booster with explosive enhanced resistance. The fast recharge rate allows me to not use any shield bank cells and focus on hull resistance, while the explosive resistances ensures that I can hold of a Thargon Swarm suiciding against my ship.

Here are my builds for xeno hunting:

1) The Radiance, a fast and sturdy Cobra MK3. In this case I have a ax missil and a ax multi to hit the Thargoid at any moment of the battle. The speed of 500mps ensures that I can disengage if needed.
    2) The Star Dwealler, previously a pure scientific ship, now repurposed for the Thargoid threat. This python has been built to hold off the thargoid attacks for my squadron. It is very satisfying to be hit by the yellow ray of death... and simply shoot the goid back. The turreted multicannons help to hit the exerted hearts with ease.
    Great contribution.

The reason why I don't put repair limpets on the ships with less speed and internals is that the need to disengage and rely on allies to distract the Interceptor, plus the need of a minimum of two internal slots for the repair limpet controller and a cargo rack.

It's ultimately personal taste, but I assume that the average pilot do not want to deal with several fire groups and having to worry about the more advanced tactics. The builds I offer are fundamentally foundations to be built on and customized to suit personal and situational needs.

AFMU is another luxury item which smaller ships do not have the space for, not to mention that high shield value ships can almost maintain their shields throughout the fight. The Federal line of ships might want to consider AFMU and module protection, besides the Corvette.

Ok. So went out with FGS build (see previous posts) and did some test runs solo against Thargoid Cyclops. Never died, so far so good, but my best run ended with only his second heart down to c. 30%. Main challenge is really hitting with AX MC. I think I have a good grip on managing the swarm, taking shields down and avoiding the worst of the lighting / disable field, but I struggle to efficiently hit the hearts. Is it the hardpoint placements? I have both MC in the front class 2 points of the FGS? What is the best distance? Somehow I think getting close doesn't help much as then only one MC hits. Micro-locking of fixed weapons really works only if the thargoid doesn't move, with every evasive action, even If I lead and shoot as per indicator, the % of hits seems to be low. Does it make sense to swap for turreted MCs? How can these be managed to only shoot at hearts and not at the hull? I know that probably my aim is not the best so grateful for any pointers on how to get better specifically with thargoids...

Originally Posted by Duderama View Post (Source)
    Ok. So went out with FGS build (see previous posts) and did some test runs solo against Thargoid Cyclops. Never died, so far so good, but my best run ended with only his second heart down to c. 30%. Main challenge is really hitting with AX MC. I think I have a good grip on managing the swarm, taking shields down and avoiding the worst of the lighting / disable field, but I struggle to efficiently hit the hearts. Is it the hardpoint placements? I have both MC in the front class 2 points of the FGS? What is the best distance? Somehow I think getting close doesn't help much as then only one MC hits. Micro-locking of fixed weapons really works only if the thargoid doesn't move, with every evasive action, even If I lead and shoot as per indicator, the % of hits seems to be low. Does it make sense to swap for turreted MCs? How can these be managed to only shoot at hearts and not at the hull? I know that probably my aim is not the best so grateful for any pointers on how to get better specifically with thargoids...
    Put the MC on your tightest two hardpoints. Do not attempt to use turrets, they are terrible.

The optimal range to take down the hearts is 1 km to face blank. When you module target, your fixed weapon will have a very minor gimbal effect if you aim accurately and have good convergence on the hardpoints.

Also, learning the Cyclops' maneuvering pattern and reading them accurately is essential. Such as shooting the hearts from behind is much more difficult, and that they occasionally retreat. Also watch for the direction they drift in, you'll be able to predict where the predictive HUD is going.

I've not played for ages - but this is something I could get down to. I've got a Courier mothballed somewhere which I'd be willing to chuck into the fire. It's about time I got involved with some multiplayer ED - will see about joining you guys sometime.

Sounds like a good idea, it can be hard to find others to wing up with.

Originally Posted by Flimsey View Post (Source)
    Sounds like a good idea, it can be hard to find others to wing up with.
    Yep, that's what the Discord link in the OP is for.

Here is the link to the FDS build that I'm using to Solo the Cyclops for anyone interested in a fairly inexpensive ship to use:

https://goo.gl/FypLuK

I enter a NHSS, scan the Thargoid, let it fly away and remove the scanner from a fire group (no sense having to scroll past it when switching groups.)
    Then I switch to the multi to aggro the Thargoid by just hitting it with a bullet or 2. Then turn away and boost and ready the flak for the swarm. FA-Off turn to face the swarm and try to take it down to as few as possible. (Thargon missiles can really hurt the ship if your shields are down at the time.)
    Then missile and take out the heart as usual. Once the heart is down I boost away from the Thargoid and AFMU repair the damaged MRP and canopy as well if needed. Once it deploys the swarm, target it FA-Off turn around and get ready to flak it. I like the fa-off turns because it tends to keep the swarm flying in a straight line making lining up the shots pretty easy. By the time the swarm is dealt with the shields on the Thargoid tend to be down or just about and you can continue on with the rest of the fight!

Part of getting good is learning the Thargoid flight patterns when solo. You can usually know where it will be going and get an early start in winding up the multis plus since this build doesn't rely on shields you can pretty much just tank the yellow lightning attack and get really good heart damage in during that time.

Got an FDL fully loaded and ready to go. New to the forum so PS4 players send me a message! psn: Slick_Thumbz

Thanks for the info. Does it make sense to send the fighter only against the swarms to distract it? Avoids a loop with the flak cannon etc.?

I'm anti xeno combat alright. I'd rather talk than fight.

Oh, oh, I gotta join this today. As soon as children are in beds!

Originally Posted by Duderama View Post (Source)
    Thanks for the info. Does it make sense to send the fighter only against the swarms to distract it? Avoids a loop with the flak cannon etc.?
    You should use the fighter to distract the swarm if you are soloing. But with a wing, especially with the AX fighter, you can use it for more aggressive purposes. But the swarm almost always prioritizes fighters.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast