Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "X Marks The Spot" - A leisurely circumnavigation of Enceladus

Day 3 - From "Camp There" to the North Pole

- after a veeery long sleep, I'm finally greeted by another day of...night. Looks like I missed the daylight train once again. Whoohoo. Oh well, more dramatic photo ops this way so here we go, next stop the north pole hopefully, but not before the usual healthy breakfast. Left over crackers, and freshly baked regrets. Yummy!

- in the cosmic ballet of Enceladus around Saturn, the sky has changed during my absence: the glowing plane of the Milky Way is not anymore the canvas over which Saturn is painted, instead moving on the other side of the sky where a couple of Enceladus' siblings have appeared over the horizon. At a wild guess, one is Titan, the other is...not Titan.

- not even the time of coming out of the basin were I camped the last days, and I already meet signs of activity: someone was apparently parked in another dip a few kilometers from mine, his (or her) engine trails the only remaining trace of their presence:

- I stare at my new traveling companions, and take the time to ponder and reflect on the deeper questions the universe poses me: what's our purpose? Is there even a purpose? And more importantly, why did I only take badly preserved crackers with me before departing from my ship?

- Random bonus beauty shot:

- A few kilometers past "Camp There", out of the basin and on plain ground again when a weak, unusual signature on the scanner grabs my attention. I divert a couple kilometers to investigate, but probably would have been better if I didn't:

I stumble upon the place where someone apparently met their fate, details will remain forever unknown probably, but the way debris are scattered around and the wreck of an armed drone crashed a few meters away make me think that a fight happened, and it didn't end well for the unlucky rover pilot either:

"Premium vehicle manufacturer since 2258"

- I leave that unsettling place and continue on my journey...but not for long, there's a lot of activity apparently at polar latitudes. I met these kind of beacons already, think I'll pass on the close inspection of this one:

A few kilometers later, this appear on the distant horizon:

Not your usual basic outpost, but a full-fledged planetary base overlooking a vast landscape, quite an imposing sight from the base of the slope:

In between the two building a small number of containers was present, together with a couple escape pods closely guarded by a complement of drones...I just hope those were empty but I'll never know, since I had already attracted the attention of one of the sentries and it started to make clear that I had to leave, immediately.

- Another short stretch of road traveled, another remnant of human activity. Could it be connected with the nearby beacon and mysterious buildings?

- Day 3 has seen far less distance traveled than what was planned for, but at last I finally made my way to the pole. Even my navigation computer noticed that, but for some kind of calculation bug it appears that it was convinced to be at the wrong pole. But hey, I'm on a pole at least!

After explaining the tiny but relevant difference between "90°" and "-90°" to my onboard computer, I corrected my bearing and prepared myself to camp there. Not Camp There, simply camp there, as in "camp here where I am". Not intended as Camp Here either, the one over there...ok, bad name planning on my part. Got it.

Preparing myself for the night with another good read after finishing my previous book. Let's start with this one, "365 Turkey Recipes For Vegans". As you can see, I can barely contain my excitement.

That's all for now from the north pole of Enceladus, next updates soon hopefully, from the already planned "Camp Everywhere".

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Day 3 - From "Camp There" to the North Pole
    Brilliant (again), love these updates.

Observation #1 - I didn't see a single damn man-made thing on my entire trip while you appear to be stumbling upon something every 50 yards or so! I guess this is partly due to you being in SOL and partly due to me turning off my sensors and scanner to conserve fuel.

Observation #2 - Thinking about going around the poles rather than around the equator is doing my head in! So presumably a heading of 0° from anywhere will take you to the North pole. But, now you're at the North pole what does that mean? Where does a heading of 180° take you? I just can't get my head around it. I dare say you have a handle on this but all I'm really saying is, make sure you don't drive back down the side you just came up!

P.S. "A bear walks ten miles south, then ten miles west, then ten miles north, and ends where it started. What colour is the bear?" - all I'm really saying is, watch out for bears!

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Observation #1 - I didn't see a single damn man-made thing on my entire trip while you appear to be stumbling upon something every 50 yards or so! I guess this is partly due to you being in SOL and partly due to me turning off my sensors and scanner to conserve fuel.
    Dare I say the second more than the first: I've kept eyes on the scanner while disabling almost everything else for the exact purpose of being on the lookout for anything interesting. Upside, a lot of good photo opportunities and anecdote material; downside, as you may notice I'm taking the "leisurely" part a bit too literal with my current pace. (but I'm also stopping a lot to collect video material)

About being in Sol, it may have to do with it too but I've got no clue about how the game manages POIs creation based on current system, so I'm not ruling out that either.

Observation #2 - Thinking about going around the poles rather than around the equator is doing my head in! So presumably a heading of 0° from anywhere will take you to the North pole. But, now you're at the North pole what does that mean? Where does a heading of 180° take you? I just can't get my head around it. I dare say you have a handle on this but all I'm really saying is, make sure you don't drive back down the side you just came up!
    If I had to pretend to know my way around geometry, I'd say that since a heading of 0° from anywhere leads you to the North pole, a heading of 180° from anywhere will take you to the opposite one. But once there, you can still use your previous longitude as a reference to keep going on a straight line, so by knowing that I came from roughly 45° lon, once at the North pole if I take a 180° heading on 225° lon (or is it -45° in game?) I should be able to maintain my previous direction, then once at the South pole head again for 0° heading on 45° lon and go back to my starting point.

But really, since Enceladus is tidally locked to Saturn I just need to keep it on starboard and always at roughly the same height above the horizon and I'll know I'm going the right way. Also, Saturn comes with a practical built-in sextant: with the orbit of Enceladus perfectly aligned on the same plane of the ring system and its axis of revolution perpendicular to it, the inclination of the rings relative to the horizon should give you a good estimate of your latitude: rings parallel to the horizon at the poles and perpendicular at the equator, and any other angle in between. Nature is beautiful.

P.S. "A bear walks ten miles south, then ten miles west, then ten miles north, and ends where it started. What colour is the bear?" - all I'm really saying is, watch out for bears!
    A polar bear would have a hard time trying to blend in this dull grey landscape ...but now you've made me afraid of dull grey bears, who knows if they are a thing on this barren ball of ice?

Day 4 - a quick hop from the North Pole to "Camp Everywhere"

The North Pole was all fun and games, except it wasn't fun and there were no games. Moreover, it's very cold and lonely up there (compared to the hectic night life, the pleasing warm breeze, the palms and coral reefs at the tropical latitudes of Enceladus). Why the hell did I opt to stop there? Oh right, because North Pole. After a good informative reading and some hours of rest, I feel sparkly again and ready to continue on my trip. And I also know 365 new ways of throwing a turkey in the bin, consider it a plus. On to next stop (wherever it is), "Camp Everywhere"! (disclaimer: it's not everywhere actually)

Boooring. But look at the bling!

I've not much time to dedicate to my journey today, so let's see how many kilometers I can add to the odometer from there. More important, let's see if I can add those kilometers in the right direction!

After going past the pole, an event confirmed by the heading indicator suddenly switching from 0° to 180°, I take just a quick glance at my overly complex astrogation procedure to check my bearing: with Saturn still firmly sitting at my right, I point my heading dead-on at 180° and throttle away, with longitude now pointing at -135°. The numbers do add up, that's the way to go.

I know I've been risking too much at the start of my voyage, and I can't be 100% reliant on my SRV boost function for reasons I still have to clarify, so I'm taking my sweet time with things, a keen eye on the road, a slow speed and a steady pace will lead me anyway were I want to-pfffffft who am I kidding anyway? Sorry couldn't keep a straight face.

Except there. There I kept a straight face.

See that? That's what a gold cladding looks like the instant it melts against a coarse rock due to blunt impact forces. Don't do it at home kids.

Then, the straight face became a slightly constipated one. The boost failed me once again in my time of need.

And again, but this time I had all the time for making repairs on the fly - literally.

About doing things literally: here it's me some way before that, "fliving" over yet another stash heavily guarded by angry drones, the content of which I didn't care about the slightest. Here you may see a flawless application of the notion of "not giving a flying f....". Sorry angry drones, next time, I promise.

Kilometers upon kilometers go by past my wheels, the landscape barely changing except for some random encounters, the nature of which I start to question:

- another downed probe, its faint signaling beacon blinking unheeded in the dark cold

- another wreck from some exploration gone awry. Another rover reduced to scrap, another drone crashed to the ground

I already met similar sights: extremely similar sights. It almost feels like these things are randomly laid there for the exact purpose of me to find them. Maybe it's the constant darkness, the unsettling yet wondrous sight of the universe above and around me, that makes all these questions, idling but ever present, surface from the realm of the subconscious to the vigilant eye of the mind.

Is all of this real? What's the very definition of "real"? What if we are just simulated entities in a simulated world, me just not being "me", but a simple artificial projection originating from somewhere else, an "holo-me"? Is there a deeper thruth to things? Maybe some marvelous revelation, or something terrible, a truth so unbearable to be known only by a restricted elite, capable of handling a knowledge so dangerous.
    Is this universe really infinite? Or is there some impassable frontier just hidden somewhere, behind the horizons our eyes can see? What that frontier has in store for us? And what's beyond?
    And moreover, should I stop with the cheap puns?

Yes, yes I should. Oh look, I've arrived!

75 degrees of latitude, looks like a good enough spot to stop (accidental word pun), even if not much road has been traveled once again:

I prepare myself for another period of rest with big reassuring Saturn watching over me, and choose another read from my thrift store collection to ease myself into sleep: "Watch paint dry: a comprehensive travel guide to Hutton Orbital". This will not ease, this will smash me into sleep...hey what's that on second cover, "Redeem your free mug, cut out ticket inside"...free MUG! Me wants me wants...oh, it's already been cut out. Bummer.

Next planned stop, "Camp Near", hopefully near the equator, soon(tm).

Day 5 - setting up "Camp Near"

After a relatively brief stop on the picturesque slope of Camp Everywhere, I decide it's time to move on. Let's see how far I'll go before setting up "Camp Near". In the meantime, Enceladus carried on the eternal ballet around its parent planet; the phase of Saturn and the sky behind it have changed dramatically since the last time I saw them, just a few hours ago:

This time I decide to not let myself be distracted by anything anomalous that may pop up on the scanner, not too much at least. The starry, never ending night, and the majestic sight of the ringed giant already make for enough distraction, but I have a destination to reach, wherever it may be.

Aside for some minor close encounters of the rocky type, and a couple rude lithobraking events (no faulty boost this time, just a faulty level of attention on my part), this leg of the trip went by with relative ease and a suspicious lack of ground activity, especially after the many chance encounter of the previous days. That however was somewhat compensated by an apparent rush in airborne passers-by (is "airborne" a thing, when there's no "air" to go with "borne"?): federal patrols, lonely Adders and Asp's, full wings of private pilots, even the occasional Orca on a sightseeing tour. Just hope they weren't searching for any prospective water geyser, because there weren't any as far as the eye could see.

Given the quiet and uneventful itinerary, I took my time for some sightseeing. I don't think I'll ever get enough of that after all.

A bonus shot for the amateur astronomer: from the left, Barnard's Loop hanging low over the horizon, with the Horsehead Nebula and the Orion Belt (Alnitak, a barely discernible Alnilam and Mintaka) in its center and red and blue giants Betelgeuse and Bellatrix above it; the Hyades open cluster with its "V" asterism making the head of "Taurus", its horns extending above stars Aldebaran and Ain up to the Auriga and the "feet" of the Gemini, and then the renowned Pleiades cluster (hic sunt Thargoides) with the overly bright California Nebula right over it; the constellation of Perseus peeking out from behind Saturn, with the binary Algol just above the planet's edge and young giant Mirphak shining at its center, and right of it Cassiopea, its easily recognizable "W" asterism pointing the way to our neighbour galaxy M31 (Andromeda) and its satellite M110. This view really has it all, so I decide to leave my hurry aside and soak up the scenery once more. I've seen countless starscapes from here to Sag. A*, but that's the only view of the universe we have had for the last several thousands years, and it's something special.

A few minutes and several kilometers later, with Orion fully above the horizon and its most prominent nebula making its appearance, I notice I've reached the 50th parallel and decide to stop there and find a place to set up Camp Near, 130 km later and away from previous Camp Everywhere. I feel lonely and I'd really like to have a teddy bear to hold tight for the night. That huge boulder protruding from the ground just resembles one (the resemblance is striking, isn't it?), so I think I'm going to hug that.

Lucky you teddy boulder, you're going to be my only company for the night ahead, I think I'll have to find you a name...something cuddly, warm and fuzzy. No reading tonight, only cuddles.

Good night, Brutus.

So that's all for now from Camp Near on the 50th parallel of Enceladus, currently planning on reaching at least 20-25° latitudes on my next leg, or the equator altogether if time allows (and as per the last week, it's not allowing ):

My current heading should bring me to a peculiar cluster of overlapped craters a few kilometers south of Camp Near, that could make for some interesting ground to traverse but I'll have to keep my curiosity for the next time.

"Twinkle twinkle little Brutus, as a bear you're really bogus...."

Day 6 - "Camp Far", all the way to the equator

After almost a week surrounded by a perpetual night, I finally see again the light of day. Wheels still hugging my teddy boulder Brutus, I wake up basking in the warm radiation of the distant Sol, the hull of my Tumbling Initiative finally showing its true might.

Behold, the Bling.

I set once again my bearing on 180° and start my journey to the southern emisphere. Feeling a bit emotional after the merry hours spent together, I bid farewell to my rocky friend. It's been a hell of a time, but my planet needs me, goodbye Brutus.

On my first minutes of driving/fliving I discover that the sunlit terrain is harder to traverse than expected, the many icy boulders barely standing out against the equally icy ground. The shadows projected at night were helpful in this regard, but on a positive note, having a bright horizon ahead helps with visual points of reference and is less straining for the eyes over time. Also, during the "day" there seem to be a bit more life and activity around than usual, plenty of ships in the sky, plenty of stuff on the ground.
    A bright flash in the distance heralds the arrival of a huge Beluga cruiser, coming for a low pass right above me:

Another outpost standing again the striped upper atmosphere of Saturn. Luckily this time, after a quick scan the drones identified my gold nugget as friendly and let me take a closer look:

A few kilometers away from my starting point, I glimpse what looks like a small cloud of black smoke right ahead of me, barely discernible against the airless sky behind it. I rapidly cover the distance, just to find myself an unwelcome guest at the wrong party:

The crash site of an unidentified Diamondback, surrounded by drones and a no-trespassing area. My scanner identifies the drones as belonging to the friendly "Mother Gaia" faction, but tagged as wanted. Drones gone rogue? While I stay there just outside of the delimited area, pondering the best course of action, I slip over my right hand console and involuntarily enable both the repeaters and power distributor; I lean on the stick to regain my composure, diverting most of the power to weapons with an accidental move of my thumb. Not even the time to realize what happened when a sudden twitch of the hand makes me inadvertently release a discharge from my repeaters, just when I happened to have one of the drones targeted. Sorry my bad, clumsy move, won't happen again I promise.

A few seconds and three drones later, I move in to inspect the wreck. No signs of life to be found, the pilot either had the chance to bail out, or is buried under the mass of ice that broke through the cockpit in the impact. I hope for the former and opt to leave the scene before anyone shows up to check what's happened, either to the ship or the drones.

It could be no coincidence that a few kilometers from the crash site I spot another ship in the distance. This time though the ship is intact, operative and a with a big Federal logo on its hull. A Federal Dropship, the FNS Feral Gauntlet (a name so badass it could blow up a Sidewinder just by being broadcasted on transponder).

While approaching I notice what seems like movement in the cockpit, apparently the ship is manned but on radio silence, I hope they won't mind an harmless passer-by just saying hi, I've been stuck here for days and I'm starving for human interaction.
    The ship is larger than it appeared from a distance. Quite an imposing sight.

The ship commander doesn't seem overly happy to see me and maintains the radio silence, but rapidly change her attitude when I message her about the wreck I just find near there. She confirms me that she had been dispatched for a distress call, probably related to the same wreck as it turns out, and thanks me for dealing with the rogue drones. We briefly exchange greetings, and I go for my way again.

From that point onwards the rest of the trip goes by smoothly, the peculiar strip of overlapped craters I saw from the satellite map reveals to be indeed very fun to flive through, the sunlit landscape for once offering some breathtaking views of the icy expanse. Slowly but constantly, the stripes of Saturn rise and rotate above the horizon, until they end up appearing perpendicular to the ground. The unmistakable signal that I've reached the equator. Yes I know, I have a latitude indicator that's a lot more precise and I should really follow that, but I like old-fashioned more.

750 kilometers since the start of my endeavour. I'm just a bit short of half-way. Slowly but steady.

This time the road has been long and I made quite a number of interesting encounters, I feel tired and in a good mood for some relaxed reading and some hours of sleep, and I won't even need a book light this time...I'm tired of the essay writing of past days though, it's time for some narrative! Let's see what I have on top of my list..."The Naughty Adventures Of Chickpea The Flatulent Pony". Well, I think that's what I get for blind drawing from the bargain bin. Go on little Chickpea, entertain me.

Greetings from "Camp Far", right on the 0° line. Next stop, "Camp Whereveryouare". Wherever it will be, whenever it will be.

Keep going Aken ... you're doing great!

Following you from your "Shamless cross-forum self promotion" link on another forum

Looks like fun - I might try this on one of those small low g potato shaped moons.

o7 - keep on trucking...

Originally Posted by Iron Orchid View Post (Source)
    Following you from your "Shamless cross-forum self promotion" link on another forum

Looks like fun - I might try this on one of those small low g potato shaped moons.

o7 - keep on trucking...
    Hi Cmdr Redvers, nice to see you there and good luck with your far bigger circumnavigation effort!

o7, keep on jumping

Day 7 - from "Camp Far" to "Camp Whereveryouare", through the icy plains South of the Equator

The day starts with the Sun still high in the sky, a quick check of the SRV systems and of the bladder and I'm ready to get on the road again. Judging from a quick glance at the satellite map and at the terrain ahead of me, this has all the promises of a boring stretch of road, at least until I get to that couple of very large craters quite a distance south of where I currently am.

The next several minutes confirm the initial impression: kilometer after kilometer of rock scattered plains, the distance goes by relatively easily, the hardest part being careful not to get too much speed to avoid the risk of insta-death due to the random rock sticking out of the ground at the wrong spot. Keeping it in the 50-70 m/s gives a good compromise between speed and safety, so I try to stick to that.

It doesn't last long though; with the landscape around me being so devoid of anything interesting, I turn my attention to the giant swirling ball of gas hanging low in the sky on my right, my gaze lost in its countless atmospheric features:

Turns out that losing your gaze on anything but the ground ahead when driving above 40 m/s is not advisable though. Aaand say goodbye to another pair of pants!

"Heralded by a thunderous roar, a wild Scarab-worm emerges from the depths of its icy lair"

I can't allow myself to be distracted so easily, I need to stop taking such risks and be more judicious in my approach to the journey. From this time on, no jumping, no acrobatics, no overspeeding...whoops, did it again.

My reflexes are still spot on at least. Even my brand new pair of pants has spots now though so really, I should stop with this kind of stuff. From this time ON!

A few more encounters along the road to the South pole. Coming from behind a small ridge, I literally landed amidst a loose stash of container. I wasn't overly happy, the guarding drones weren't either. Bonus artistic shots:

Along the road I also met another couple of Federal patrols, both landed near crashed satellite beacons: the build quality of those things must really suck...
    Here is the FNS War Bellum:

And not too far from that, the FNS Defiant Wolf:

These guys really know how to give cool name to ships. After so many days limited to the boundaries of my SRV, I miss my Python Doorstopper Almighty, my Keelback Albion Skunk, my DBX Bucket Of Bolts, my Dolphin Thanks For The Fish...

Time goes by and I slowly approach the 45° South Parallel, those very large craters I spotted from the map appear to be surrounded by several "smaller" craters, this being one of those:

The double track marks are because I literally leaped inside the rim from my previous jump, I had to climb back to the rim to grab this. A still image doesn't do it justice.

The shadows tells me it's high noon on Enceladus, and I've reached my destination; setting up "Camp Whereveryouare".

Almost 1000 km traveled since the start and I'm starting to get low on resources after my previous many exploits, my next part of the journey will better be devoted to stock up on iron and nickel.

After my latest reading I'm scared of what other gem I could find in my books supply, so this time I'll just relax, sleep and soak up the barren yet peaceful scenery.

Hoping to directly reach the South Pole from there on my next day of travel, that's all for now from "Camp Whereveryouare".

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Day 7 - from "Camp Far" to "Camp Whereveryouare", through the icy plains South of the Equator

The day starts with the Sun still high in the sky, a quick check of the SRV systems and of the bladder and I'm ready to get on the road again. Judging from a quick glance at the satellite map and at the terrain ahead of me, this has all the promises of a boring stretch of road, at least until I get to that couple of very large craters quite a distance south of where I currently am.

The next several minutes confirm the initial impression: kilometer after kilometer of rock scattered plains, the distance goes by relatively easily, the hardest part being careful not to get too much speed to avoid the risk of insta-death due to the random rock sticking out of the ground at the wrong spot. Keeping it in the 50-70 m/s gives a good compromise between speed and safety, so I try to stick to that.

It doesn't last long though; with the landscape around me being so devoid of anything interesting, I turn my attention to the giant swirling ball of gas hanging low in the sky on my right, my gaze lost in its countless atmospheric features:

Turns out that losing your gaze on anything but the ground ahead when driving above 40 m/s is not advisable though. Aaand say goodbye to another pair of pants!

"Heralded by a thunderous roar, a wild Scarab-worm emerges from the depths of its icy lair"

I can't allow myself to be distracted so easily, I need to stop taking such risks and be more judicious in my approach to the journey. From this time on, no jumping, no acrobatics, no overspeeding...whoops, did it again.

My reflexes are still spot on at least. Even my brand new pair of pants has spots now though so really, I should stop with this kind of stuff. From this time ON!

A few more encounters along the road to the South pole. Coming from behind a small ridge, I literally landed amidst a loose stash of container. I wasn't overly happy, the guarding drones weren't either. Bonus artistic shots:

Along the road I also met another couple of Federal patrols, both landed near crashed satellite beacons: the build quality of those things must really suck...
    Here is the FNS War Bellum:

And not too far from that, the FNS Defiant Wolf:

These guys really know how to give cool name to ships. After so many days limited to the boundaries of my SRV, I miss my Python Doorstopper Almighty, my Keelback Albion Skunk, my DBX Bucket Of Bolts, my Dolphin Thanks For The Fish...

Time goes by and I slowly approach the 45° South Parallel, those very large craters I spotted from the map appear to be surrounded by several "smaller" craters, this being one of those:
    https://i.imgur.com/tHIPCA2.jpg
    The double track marks are because I literally leaped inside the rim from my previous jump, I had to climb back to the rim to grab this. A still image doesn't do it justice.

The shadows tells me it's high noon on Enceladus, and I've reached my destination; setting up "Camp Whereveryouare".

Almost 1000 km traveled since the start and I'm starting to get low on resources after my previous many exploits, my next part of the journey will better be devoted to stock up on iron and nickel.

After my latest reading I'm scared of what other gem I could find in my books supply, so this time I'll just relax, sleep and soak up the barren yet peaceful scenery.

Hoping to directly reach the South Pole from there on my next day of travel, that's all for now from "Camp Whereveryouare".

https://i.imgur.com/nfnFUTi.jpg
    I appear to be out of rep again (seems to happen on alternate days).

I'm still hoping to rendezvous (any thoughts on when you're likely to finish currently?) but am currently somewhat busy in the Pleiades. Considering what's going on there at the moment you might be best off staying right where you are, could be the safest place!

P.S. I really love these two images, very nice!

https://i.imgur.com/jioKYfL.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/zDFmeY1.jpg

I'm still hoping to rendezvous (any thoughts on when you're likely to finish currently?) but am currently somewhat busy in the Pleiades. Considering what's going on there at the moment you might be best off staying right where you are, could be the safest place!
    I initially hoped to finish in time for a quick dash to Dav's Hope, but the outlook isn't favourable at the moment with just three days to go.
    Seen from down there, the Pleiades are just a lovely little blueish patch in the sky, and I like for them to stay that way.

I appear to be out of rep again (seems to happen on alternate days).
    Gotcha covered.

I swear I read random posts looking for stuff to rep just so I can be sure I have enough charged for the next AkenPost.

"War Bellum", that sounds redundant.

("war war")

Originally Posted by Orvidius View Post (Source)
    "War Bellum", that sounds redundant.

("war war")
    But-but, it sounds double cool! It's like, say, "I'm Kill Kill, the killing killer". It's double cool, isn't it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast