Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Oculus Dash / Home 2.0 - Experiences & Tips Thread

Originally Posted by MAIN SEQUENCE View Post (Source)
    You need to log in to your account on the Frontier store and claim an Oculus key (free). It's under Partner Keys.
    working thanks ! i have the keyboard in front me of now, but I cannot type. for some reasons it doesnt work. IS there something else to do ?

Hi guys

Watched a football match and a movie on YouTube no problem using dash, but Netflix and amazon videos appear blank when viewed from inside the cockpit???

I see others are using Netflix... if so, how?

Thanks

I watch in a firefox window (log into Netflix website)

Thanks will try that now

Firefox worked like a charm! Am now watching Firefly whilst flying through the black

This is a great and very helpful thread. Thanks everybody. I have a problem with Dash and after doing some research on the web I could not find anything similar so I would like to try it here.

Has anyone experienced a change in the contrast or gamma after pinning a window in Elite Dangerous? After I have pinned a window (it doesn't matter what it is) something is off with my visuals. It's a litte bit difficult to explain: e. g. when I look at the area around or on the boarder of a sun in the distance with a window pinned it looks like the graphic effects around that area change to a bad pixelated fog/ to bad pixelated particle effects. I don't have the problem in other games, but since ED is so dark maybe I just don't see it in other applications. I tried to run ED on the lowest settings for VR but it does not change anything. The changes are also visible in other parts of space. Some darker areas become more "pixelated" and brighter. Sadly, the changes are very noticeable for me.

I have a rx580 and an amd fx6300, so I'm at the lower end regarding performance. But I don't think it's a performance issue. The changes look more like the pinned window adds a complete extra layer to ED and the displayed image and this causes the graphical changes in these areas.

If anyone has an idea or a cue for me I would appreciate it.
    Cheers

I sounds like a good thing, I was feeling the excites when they announced it... But is it worth getting an ED Oculus key and downloading ED again? (I use the Frontier launcher...)

Originally Posted by Mot View Post (Source)
    I sounds like a good thing, I was feeling the excites when they announced it... But is it worth getting an ED Oculus key and downloading ED again? (I use the Frontier launcher...)
    If you want access to Dash "Seemless mode" then yes it is.

Originally Posted by CylonSurfer View Post (Source)
    If you want access to Dash "Seemless mode" then yes it is.
    Since ED doesn't really use the dash apis.
    So the only real difference between running from inside the oculus prison library is that instead of being pulled into a white matrix like construct it becomes superimposed on the ED world.

Since the useful thing is a giant desktop image I don't see any reason to run from oculus library.
    You would still need to refocus the game from inside dash and pinned windows also remain when you are in game so apart from that one cosmetic difference I find none.

Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post (Source)
    Since ED doesn't really use the dash apis.
    So the only real difference between running from inside the oculus prison library is that instead of being pulled into a white matrix like construct it becomes superimposed on the ED world.

Since the useful thing is a giant desktop image I don't see any reason to run from oculus library.
    You would still need to refocus the game from inside dash and pinned windows also remain when you are in game so apart from that one cosmetic difference I find none.
    If you combine Dash's seemless mode with autofocus you can effectivly use any Windows app at any time from within your cockpit, no faffing about and none of the immersion breaking disconnection from the game every time you want to look at or interact with an external app - or even do something as simple as use the onscreen keyboard to type in the galaxy map search box. Another huge advantage of 'seemless mode' vs 'void mode' is that you can actually see where you pin windows in your cockpit cutting down on the frustration by 100%. The difference between the two modes is night and day with much of Dash's functionality and usefulness lost or restricted in void mode.

Combining Dash in seemless mode with an autofocus program really opens up some amazing opportunities to Elite players. For example, I created myself a virtual PDA which I now use in game that I can seemlessly interact with while in my cockpit via touch and operates much like any real life touchscreen based tablet does. Some of the functionality it provides include:

• A working touch based keyboard that is automatically displayed on the PDA if I have the ships comms panel or galmap open (and auto hides when they are closed).
    • A notes app allowing me to type out notes in game, save them and then view or edit them on the PDA at a later date.
    • Provides system information which is otherwise only obtainable while 'out of cockpit' in the Sysmap.
    • Displays Galnet news articles so I can read them in my cockpit while I fly around.
    • Displays data on engineers including all blueprints and material data.
    • Allows me to control the station menus (or ships UI) with touch via the PDAs GUI (a bit of a gimmick I admit)
    • Has a camera app (basic but allows you to take screenshots without wasting a HOTAS button on a bind).
    • A gallery app which allows you to view all of your Elite screenshots in cockpit and even delete the ones you don't want.

Without 'seemless mode' none of this would be possible, what you see as nothing more than 'minor cosmetic differences' is in my opinion really quite far from the truth. Personally I do not understand your hesitation to run Elite from Home instead of the native launcher as it only offers you advantages and I'm not entirely sure how a 'Prison Library' is indicative or relevant to the experience in any way - Installing / launching Elite from Oculus Home does not prevent or restrict you in any way from launching Elite via either the native launcher or Steam should you choose to. The choice however is completely yours to make, but I honestly do not agree with you downplaying the differences between the 2 modes when the advantages of running Dash in seemless mode are extremely clear.

Without 'seemless mode' none of this would be possible, what you see as nothing more than 'minor cosmetic differences' is in my opinion really quite far from the truth. Personally I do not understand your hesitation to run Elite from Home instead of the native launcher as it only offers you advantages. The choice however, is completely yours to make, but I honestly do not agree with you downplaying the differences between the 2 modes when the advantages of running Dash in seemless mode are extremely clear.
    I couldn't agree more ....but, meh, some people eh?

Combining Dash in seemless mode with an autofocus program really opens up some amazing opportunities to Elite players. For example, I created myself a virtual PDA which I now use in game that I can seemlessly interact with while in my cockpit via touch and operates much like any real life touchscreen based tablet does. Some of the functionality it provides include:

• A working touch based keyboard that is automatically displayed on the PDA if I have the ships comms panel or galmap open (and auto hides when they are closed).
    • A notes app allowing me to type out notes in game, save them and then view or edit them on the PDA at a later date.
    • Provides system information which is otherwise only obtainable while 'out of cockpit' in the Sysmap.
    • Displays Galnet news articles so I can read them in my cockpit while I fly around.
    • Displays data on engineers including all blueprints and material data.
    • Allows me to control the station menus (or ships UI) with touch via the PDAs GUI (a bit of a gimmick I admit)
    • Has a camera app (basic but allows you to take screenshots without wasting a HOTAS button on a bind).
    • A gallery app which allows you to view all of your Elite screenshots in cockpit and even delete the ones you don't want.
    You can't write the above without explaining how and what you used to accomplish it Lol!
    I for one am intrigued at how you've done this.

Totally agree with you BTW regarding native launcher vs Oculus home. The added convenience of being able to pin one or several windows in your cockpit (with no appreciable framerate hit that I can see) without leaving the cockpit just adds to the whole experience. I really would not like to have to go back to the vanilla launcher now I've seen and used Dash. The only fly in the ointment is my pinned windows disappear if I take off the HMD but I'm sure they will fix that at some point.

Originally Posted by Blairvoyach View Post (Source)
    You can't write the above without explaining how and what you used to accomplish it Lol!
    I for one am intrigued at how you've done this.

Totally agree with you BTW regarding native launcher vs Oculus home. The added convenience of being able to pin one or several windows in your cockpit (with no appreciable framerate hit that I can see) without leaving the cockpit just adds to the whole experience. I really would not like to have to go back to the vanilla launcher now I've seen and used Dash. The only fly in the ointment is my pinned windows disappear if I take off the HMD but I'm sure they will fix that at some point.
    I'll try and post a video soon.

I'll try and post a video soon.
    Superb, I will look forward to that. Many thanks.
    o7

Originally Posted by CMDR Rains View Post (Source)
    This is a great and very helpful thread. Thanks everybody. I have a problem with Dash and after doing some research on the web I could not find anything similar so I would like to try it here.

Has anyone experienced a change in the contrast or gamma after pinning a window in Elite Dangerous? After I have pinned a window (it doesn't matter what it is) something is off with my visuals. It's a litte bit difficult to explain: e. g. when I look at the area around or on the boarder of a sun in the distance with a window pinned it looks like the graphic effects around that area change to a bad pixelated fog/ to bad pixelated particle effects. I don't have the problem in other games, but since ED is so dark maybe I just don't see it in other applications. I tried to run ED on the lowest settings for VR but it does not change anything. The changes are also visible in other parts of space. Some darker areas become more "pixelated" and brighter. Sadly, the changes are very noticeable for me.

I have a rx580 and an amd fx6300, so I'm at the lower end regarding performance. But I don't think it's a performance issue. The changes look more like the pinned window adds a complete extra layer to ED and the displayed image and this causes the graphical changes in these areas.

If anyone has an idea or a cue for me I would appreciate it.
    Cheers
    Hi, I guess I didn't explain it that good. Does anyone notice a difference in the visuals (contrast or gamma or ...) when pinning a window through Dash? Yesterday I also installed ED through Oculus to try out the seamless mode. It is really good but sadly I still get the change in the graphics after pinning a window. I get the same effect when opening Dash in seamless mode. When I close it again without pinning a window, the graphical changes disappear and everything looks normal again.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516