Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus Dash / Home 2.0 - Experiences & Tips Thread

Originally Posted by Wasp0 View Post (Source)
    Yes please reveal ?
    Thanks
    Guess work mostly which is why we need FDEV to provide offical support for Dash.

Thanks for keeping us informed. How does the Oculus beta work? Do you feel that they are open to suggestions for improvement?

I tried pinning Netflix (through chrome) to my cockpit by using Dash. I started watching the Abyss but found that elite had lost focus so my controller didn't work, I regained focus by using the mouse (and taking my headset off) and the controller worked but in my pinned window I had the abyss running with the focused mirror of elite right in the middle of it!! As i was more intent on getting some bounties for the CG I left it like that so I could hear the mixed audio of the abyss and elite and see the periphery of the Abyss behind the window of elite!!! Not ideal. Also whenever I pushed the Dash button and went to the void to mess with the window and my desktop, my framerate dipped to single figures. I only have an i5 6400 and a 1070 with 16gb ddr4 so maybe it is very bound by the power of CPU.

Anyone who has tried this out care to tell me how i can retain the focus on elite but not have that little window of the game overlayed over any video i am watching??

Some more feedback on my experiences with the Oculus beta. For me, it works rather flawlessly, played 3 hours in ED yesterday without any problems, not even to speak of BSOD. I'm using the latest NVidia driver (.43) on an ASUS GTX1070 OC STRIX, it worked right from the start. One point I should possibly note is that I chose 'user-defined upgrade' and 'fresh install' upon setup. I didn't pin anything inside ED (will still have to find out how that works), but mainly used the Oculus remote control for switching between the desktop and ED. And that's great, as now I can have Firefox, EDDiscovery, EDDB and all that within the VR environment and don't have to take off the Rift or peek through the nosehole when I want to check something or set focus, and I like having these on a large screen anyway. Switching can be done via the menu button on the remote control, otherwise, it works like a laser pointer that has the functionality of the left mouse button, and that's ok with me. The legibility of text is ok for me, given the low resolution of the Rift. Afterwards, I spent some time with the Touch Controllers and the new Oculus environment, you obviously need these to use the full customization options for Oculus Home. Sitting mostly at the desktop, though, for me the Touch Controllers are not optimal, as space is limited and I'm always at the risk of throwing something down from my desk or hitting the HOTAS, possibly the monitor even. Then, I'm left-handed and tend to point with the left controller, always clicking the wrong menu button and generally had problems pointing at and then grabbing something, but possibly that's just me. Generally, I found the remote control to be much more precise, and generally better to handle. It's nice that staying inside VR all the time is possible at all now, and so the Dash is a big improvement for me. Using the Oculus version of ED btw, the update for that one was a little larger than the 5.8 MB for the standalone version (and took considerably more time). All in all, I'm quite content, and ED performance didn't noticably degrade for me.

O7,

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Re: having things like pinned windows open within Elite - does anyone know if it's possible to save the layout or do you have to carefully open and position windows every time you want to play Elite?
    There is no save function to my knowledge, you shouldn't need to save a layout function when Elite supports Dash fully as you'll be able to clearly see where windows are being placed in relation to the cockpit. Hopefully that will make the task of pinning apps that much easier and a hundread times more natural.

Originally Posted by Bongo Fury View Post (Source)
    Anyone who has tried this out care to tell me how i can retain the focus on elite but not have that little window of the game overlayed over any video i am watching??
    The secret is to not fullscreen Netflix as that takes focus away from Elite. You can refocus Elite at anytime in the Void by bringing up the virtual desktop and clicking on the Elite desktop Window.

To be honest I found Netflix (used via Firefox) to be a huge resource hog which caused headtracking issues while I was playing Elite with it pinned. I tried a 1080p MKV in VLC and it had no visible impact on my machines performance while pinned.

I was going to look and see if there is a Netflix App on the MS Store, I've never looked for one before.

Originally Posted by CylonSurfer View Post (Source)
    The secret is to not fullscreen Netflix as that takes focus away from Elite. You can refocus Elite at anytime in the Void by bringing up the virtual desktop and clicking on the Elite desktop Window.

To be honest I found Netflix (used via Firefox) to be a huge resource hog which caused headtracking issues while I was playing Elite with it pinned. I tried a 1080p MKV in VLC and it had no visible impact on my machines performance while pinned.

I was going to look and see if there is a Netflix App on the MS Store, I've never looked for one before.
    There is.

It's terrible.

It supports bitstreaming of audio though, but who cares it's overly compressed DD+ anyways.

Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post (Source)
    There is.

It's terrible.

It supports bitstreaming of audio though, but who cares it's overly compressed DD+ anyways.
    Cool, I guess I'll have to judge how bad it is based on how well it performs in Dash - if its provides better performance than the Firefox / Netflix combo I tested yesterday then I'd have to class that as fit for purpose in this instance.

Originally Posted by Bongo Fury View Post (Source)
    I tried pinning Netflix (through chrome) to my cockpit by using Dash. I started watching the Abyss but found that elite had lost focus so my controller didn't work, I regained focus by using the mouse (and taking my headset off) and the controller worked but in my pinned window I had the abyss running with the focused mirror of elite right in the middle of it!! As i was more intent on getting some bounties for the CG I left it like that so I could hear the mixed audio of the abyss and elite and see the periphery of the Abyss behind the window of elite!!! Not ideal. Also whenever I pushed the Dash button and went to the void to mess with the window and my desktop, my framerate dipped to single figures. I only have an i5 6400 and a 1070 with 16gb ddr4 so maybe it is very bound by the power of CPU.

You can if you pull out the chrome browser as a secondary screen by pointing at netflix then grab button

Originally Posted by han View Post (Source)
    You can if you pull out the chrome browser as a secondary screen by pointing at netflix then grab button
    How was performance when you had netflix open in Chrome and pinned inside Elite? In Firefox I found it to really lower performance and cause headtracking glitches and stutter in both Elite and Oculus Home after I'd quit Elite.

I've got to chime in here and ask how other people are pinning windows if they're not able to see their cockpits. I played about 2 hours last night (it was late so maybe I'm mis-remembering?) and if you click the right Touch menu button then select "Show Desktop" from the carousel, you can reach in to your desktop and grab any of the apps you want with the right grip button. Place it anywhere you want for now, dismiss your desktop, then you can point at the app and grab it, minimize it, move it around whatever you need to do while seeing all of your cockpit. When you find the spot you want your window, hit the pin button and it'll stay there.

I really like the new features. Home could use a little more finesse, but it's beta after all. Steam games also appear to be taking performance hits.

So can you create and use "themes". eg: Certain apps pinned in certain locations?

Surely this would be the only way to manage apps appearing in the ED hud easily? Choose a "theme" and your usual 2-3 apps appear in the right places?

Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    So can you create and use "themes". eg: Certain apps pinned in certain locations?

Surely this would be the only way to manage apps appearing in the ED hud easily? Choose a "theme" and your usual 2-3 apps appear in the right places?
    No you can't. That's addressed in Post #35 above you.

edit: this is a good idea, however. They've opened up a feedback forum for the beta phase. Chime in there.

Originally Posted by heretowatch View Post (Source)
    I've got to chime in here and ask how other people are pinning windows if they're not able to see their cockpits. I played about 2 hours last night (it was late so maybe I'm mis-remembering?) and if you click the right Touch menu button then select "Show Desktop" from the carousel, you can reach in to your desktop and grab any of the apps you want with the right grip button. Place it anywhere you want for now, dismiss your desktop, then you can point at the app and grab it, minimize it, move it around whatever you need to do while seeing all of your cockpit. When you find the spot you want your window, hit the pin button and it'll stay there.

I really like the new features. Home could use a little more finesse, but it's beta after all. Steam games also appear to be taking performance hits.
    The 'Void' is the grey background with the Dash Carousel / Virtual desktop you see when pressing your right Touches home button in non Dash supported VR titles. To my knowledge, once you exit the 'Void' in Elite you can no longer interact with any pinned application only view them in the position you placed it while in Void. When in the Void you cannot see the cockpit from Elite surrounding you, hence any moving pinned application is based on pure guess work. You pin it, close voide and review where it is in the cockpit, if you don't like its position you reopen void and then move the Window based on what you can remember of its last position within Elite cockpit and repeat this process until you are happy with the pinned apps placement.

At least that was my experience - are you suggesting that you could move pinned apps around while actually playing Elite and without returning to the Void environment?

Originally Posted by heretowatch View Post (Source)
    No you can't. That's addressed in Post #35 above you.

edit: this is a good idea, however. They've opened up a feedback forum for the beta phase. Chime in there.
    Ta...

Beyong this I'd imagine low level control of apps appearing, not appearing, and their positions/sizes will be super useful to app developers. eg: So windows being injected into the ED Hud could be changed/manipulated on the fly.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast