Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: THE CODEX (allegedly planned for Q4'18) - what would you like to see in it?

Originally Posted by The Chairmaker View Post (Source)
    For me the codex would form a breadcrumb trail that would guide people into different areas of the game and in a way also act as a guide for new players.
    It would have a complex tree structure with a main trunk and branches off it. The further down the branches you go the more obscure and less hand holding there is to try to get the codex information.

So to start for example all players would have an initial codex entry talking about the importance of the starter system and any historical events in said system ,and pointing to the three main superpowers federation, aliiance and Empire.
    it would then point you in the direction of finding out more on the respective powers by visiting their home systems. It would then advise you of the need to get certain reputation levels and how to get them for each power.
    on achieving the respective access you then get links to key events in the respective superpower which you can then search out and find out more.

Some codex entries would be stand alone that you would just need to find. They would have no obvious link to earlier codex entries. I would describe these as "fallen branches". This would allow frontier the flexibility to add to the codex for new events later in the game.

A more vague example would be a codex entry for listening posts talking about how they have been used to find all sorts of lost wonders, from commander jamesons cobra mk3 to thargoid bases and the mysterious INRA.
    It would not say were they all are but it may provide a few random locations of other known listening posts. A commander would now know that if they come across a listening post it leads them somewhere, and could visit those named listening posts to get on the trail.

The codex would cover galactic history and politics, spaceships and space stations, rare goods, famous individuals, alien life, other mysteries.

The aim would be to allow players new or experienced in the game to find out things they perhaps were not aware of by using in game tools rather than viewing external sources eg Obsidian Ant, INARA , Reddit etc, opening up new gameplay opportunities and showcasing the rich lore that the game has, and which to date has been sorely under utilised.
    Bingo! This ^^^

For me the codex would form a breadcrumb trail that would guide people into different areas of the game and in a way also act as a guide for new players.
    It would have a complex tree structure with a main trunk and branches off it. The further down the branches you go the more obscure and less hand holding there is to try to get the codex information.

So to start for example all players would have an initial codex entry talking about the importance of the starter system and any historical events in said system ,and pointing to the three main superpowers federation, aliiance and Empire.
    it would then point you in the direction of finding out more on the respective powers by visiting their home systems. It would then advise you of the need to get certain reputation levels and how to get them for each power.
    on achieving the respective access you then get links to key events in the respective superpower which you can then search out and find out more.

Some codex entries would be stand alone that you would just need to find. They would have no obvious link to earlier codex entries. I would describe these as "fallen branches". This would allow frontier the flexibility to add to the codex for new events later in the game.

A more vague example would be a codex entry for listening posts talking about how they have been used to find all sorts of lost wonders, from commander jamesons cobra mk3 to thargoid bases and the mysterious INRA.
    It would not say were they all are but it may provide a few random locations of other known listening posts. A commander would now know that if they come across a listening post it leads them somewhere, and could visit those named listening posts to get on the trail.

The codex would cover galactic history and politics, spaceships and space stations, rare goods, famous individuals, alien life, other mysteries.

The aim would be to allow players new or experienced in the game to find out things they perhaps were not aware of by using in game tools rather than viewing external sources eg Obsidian Ant, INARA , Reddit etc, opening up new gameplay opportunities and showcasing the rich lore that the game has, and which to date has been sorely under utilised.
    Precisly this. I really do hope this is what it will be.

Not much, just everything.

Yeah, something like that would be awesome!

I'm a fan of this too! I think it should be more about pointing players in the right direction than handing everything to them. Most of the time I simply don't know something is out there unless I see it on the forums, videos etc since I rarely come across them directly in game. There is a wealth of content around, but most say the game is empty because they just don't know about it!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345