Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE CODEX (allegedly planned for Q4'18) - what would you like to see in it?

THE CODEX (allegedly planned for Q4'18) - what would you like to see in it?

I think that for me this is the 2nd most anticipated feature that was announced by FDEV, the 1st being the exploration QoL improvements. There's been a lot of talk about exploration, but what about the Codex? From what I understood it's supposed to be sort of a Wiki or Galaxopedia for Elite Dangerous. What would you guys like to see included in it?

For me it would be:

0) Text-2-speech, so we can have the info read to us while we fly.

1) Summary of the current and past events. Basically a timeline for the story going on in Elite Dangerous, beginning from the 1984 version up to the present day, and updated on a regular basis.

2) Complete lore and canon - basically an encyclopedia of everything from the Elite world. Lots of descriptive info, complete with with images or animations.

- Ships
    - People (prominent characters, past and present)
    - History
    - Superpowers
    - Corporations & Organizations
    - Engineers + blueprints
    - Guardians
    - Thargoids
    - Megaships
    - Types of stations
    - Modules with stats

The entries in this section could be limited to what the player has discovered themselves. I.e. after visiting a Sirius Corp tourist beacon, the information from that beacon would appear in the Codex for this player, while others would still have to unlock it by visiting the beacon. This would be another incentive to do the tourist missions

3) List of discoveries made by the player while exploring - anomalies, unusual bodies etc. - this is more for the future, when we have new stuff to find when exploring

Not sure what else can go there. I think that there is a great potential there to build a relationship with the Elite world. Make it more believable, so that the players feel more immersed (yeah I said it!) in the game.

Any other ideas?

To replace my second monitor so r/elitedangerous, this forum, EDDB.io and INARA. And have it be tabs similar to what's in the left Panel.

Is the codex going to be available on console or is it pc only

Originally Posted by Johnb09 View Post (Source)
    Is the codex going to be available on console or is it pc only
    As it is an announced feature, I'd expect that it will be available on all platforms capable of handling it.

I like what you have there OP, ,all I want to to say is that I want the information to actually be useful, well, some of it at least. By that I mean useful in terms of trading, exploration, mining and more rather than just a galaxy encyclopedia.

So something like I suggested a couple of days ago: Clickbait

From my understanding of the limited info that's been given out on this, the only intention so far is to implement your point 3. I thought that the idea is for it to be a personal planner/tracker, so I certainly don't expect for it to have all the other stuff in it. Most of that should be in Galnet (which will audio enabled at some point).

The Codex (or the relevant parts) could be integrated into the GalMap.

A list of first discovered or important systems that than be filtered (type, date…).

Clicking on a system name in the codex would get that system selected in the GalMap.

Bioware did a good job with their "codex" function when they introduced ME1. But that was a story driven game. Important stuff for the setting background was narrated by a voice actor.

My wishes:
    * It allows for commercial exploration, selling data to higher bidder, and seeing those data flowing more specifically in BGS (they already do but just for pure number value);
    * I can filter data so I can see bigger picture - where's most lucrative mining, gathering of resources;

I think having exploration tied to more practical roots would add a lot. Going to center of galaxy might be cool once, and hunting for good looking vistas too, but overall they don't sell me as strong day-by-day gameplay goals.

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    I think that for me this is the 2nd most anticipated feature that was announced by FDEV, the 1st being the exploration QoL improvements. There's been a lot of talk about exploration, but what about the Codex? From what I understood it's supposed to be sort of a Wiki or Galaxopedia for Elite Dangerous. What would you guys like to see included in it?

For me it would be:

0) Text-2-speech, so we can have the info read to us while we fly.

1) Summary of the current and past events. Basically a timeline for the story going on in Elite Dangerous, beginning from the 1984 version up to the present day, and updated on a regular basis.

2) Complete lore and canon - basically an encyclopedia of everything from the Elite world. Lots of descriptive info, complete with with images or animations.

- Ships
    - People (prominent characters, past and present)
    - History
    - Superpowers
    - Corporations & Organizations
    - Engineers + blueprints
    - Guardians
    - Thargoids
    - Megaships
    - Types of stations
    - Modules with stats

The entries in this section could be limited to what the player has discovered themselves. I.e. after visiting a Sirius Corp tourist beacon, the information from that beacon would appear in the Codex for this player, while others would still have to unlock it by visiting the beacon. This would be another incentive to do the tourist missions

3) List of discoveries made by the player while exploring - anomalies, unusual bodies etc. - this is more for the future, when we have new stuff to find when exploring

Not sure what else can go there. I think that there is a great potential there to build a relationship with the Elite world. Make it more believable, so that the players feel more immersed (yeah I said it!) in the game.

Any other ideas?
    All of that, and unique exploration discoveries, with galaxy map/system map links to the places. Maybe if/when persistant NPC's come they will be there too.

Small wish/addition:

Option to enable text-2-speech of interesting facts about surface materials when picking those up in SRV.
    ( Arsenic, Selenium, Yttrium etc. )

Originally Posted by DoppelGanger View Post (Source)
    Small wish/addition:

Option to enable text-2-speech of interesting facts about surface materials when picking those up in SRV.
    I would like that, but only when you first discover them. Hearing them all the time would likely drive me crazy.

Originally Posted by DoppelGanger View Post (Source)
    Small wish/addition:

So much this. Please, PLEASE FD add small bits of contextual information for other stuff than trade goods.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast