View Poll Results: Pick three of these stories

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - cleonymus - Interdicting a tune for your own dev

1 8.33%
  • 02 - Cmdr-Wotherspoon - A Point of Interest in the Sol System.

3 25.00%
  • 03 - Simoof - Burnt Offerings - A tale of love, adventure...

6 50.00%
  • 04 - Listeri69 - Good King Hankeylas looked out on the feast

8 66.67%
  • 05 - Cmdr pseudonym - Anything goes in....

3 25.00%
  • 06 - rootsrat - Not Mine

1 8.33%
  • 07 - Polygonal Spaceship - Grounds for Arrest

1 8.33%
  • 08 - Alien - This Is To A Theme Picked By Last Week's Joint

2 16.67%
  • 09 - RoyalHankey - New New New York

1 8.33%
  • 10 - insanephoton - Wacky Races

1 8.33%
  • 11 - Galactic Midden - Almost a crash landing... never shift

8 66.67%
  • 12 - Phong - Trying to rip the skein from remember(anything goes)

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Drabble Short Story Contest #229: Anything goes Dead Heat But that's not mine officer!

Drabble Short Story Contest #229: Anything goes Dead Heat But that's not mine officer!

Well done to almost everyone last week. Everyone's a winner! Well... almost everyone. Not me or RoyalHankey <sigh>

Psykokow hosts the Abraka-Drabble live reading show and "comedy" hour at 7pm BST, Fridays on...
    HUTTON ORBITAL RADIO! http://streaming.radionomy.com/HuttonOrbitalRadio (audio only)
    LAVE RADIO! http://laveradio.com/ (audio only)
    TWITCH! http://www.twitch.tv/psykokow/ (audio & visual)
    and will also be uploaded to his You-tube channel & anywhere else he can inflict the world with our drabblings!

Come back on Sunday night to see how well your Drabble has done. At least come back before Monday 15:00 to check if you're the one that has to provide us with a topic.

Please vote. Everyone is welcome to vote.
    And a plea to all of the contestants, Don't vote for yourself.
    Anyone caught voting for themselves will be forced to listen to one of my Drabbles

01 - cleonymus - Interdicting a tune for your own devious purposes.

On't first day of alpha, frontier gave to me.
    some credits and a very small ship.
    On't second day of beta, frontier gave to me.
    Two fragment cannons
    and some credits and a very small ship.
    On't third day of gamma, frontier gave to me.
    Three passengers
    Two fragment cannons
    In't latest Elite Dangerous, frontier gave to me.
    Ten Thargoids turning
    Nine miners mining
    Eight bounty hunters
    Seven signal sources
    Six pirates firing
    Five earthlike worlds
    Four landing pads
    Three passengers
    Two fragment cannons

02 - Cmdr-Wotherspoon - A Point of Interest in the Sol System.

“So there I was, standing on a rickety stepladder. I told them, I don’t need that, it’ll work fine without, but they knew better. It’s not easy balancing when you’re wearing a heavy space suit with both hands full, even in low-G. There’s no air resistance to slow you down. That’s the point, really.

Anyway, I lost my footing. It seemed like an age, suspended in mid-air. Well, mid-vacuum. I’d let go, and I could see everything as I fell. The hammer, the feather, and I all hit the ground at exactly the same time. It was a dead heat.”

[Grant - There is a dramatic rendition on your Google Drive, should you wish to use it].

03 - Simoof - Burnt Offerings - A tale of love, adventure and the slight weepage of a groinal sore

The planet was grossly over populated. Putrid and dank.
    It smelt like a kipper had shat into some mouldy cheese.
    Smoke filled skies obscured the vast universe, claustrophobic and depressing. Disease riddled streets.
    The planet had been discarded centuries ago but the resilience of the scum who lived there persevered.
    Somebody had to report on the current status. Midden did not see what the fuss was all about.
    Technology had moved backwards, forced to regress.
    With fuel being scarce and the daily influx of corpses a solution had to be found.
    The warmth from the furnaces nicknamed the dead heat.

04 - Listeri69 - Good King Hankeylas looked out on the feast of Simoof.

Simoof struggled with the matches, It was real nice he thought of Mr Hankey to provide such a large amount of carbon
    It was a cold planet after all and anything that could be burnt for warmth.
    It had been a week since Mr Hankey had suggested to Simoof that 'he was going out for a walk'.
    Simoof found him three days later dead on the other side of the locked door, frozen solid.
    Now Mr Hankey was providing another service freeze dried dead heat.
    Simoof rubbed his hands together with warmth as Mr Hankeys left leg finally caught fire....

05 - Cmdr pseudonym - Anything goes in....

"But that's not mine officer!" Skiprat pointed at the mouldy sausage on his floor
    "zer is only one person who smokes ze sausage and zat iz youz' The Venezuelan security guard tapped his truncheon
    "but I would never let a sausage go mouldy, especially such a nice long fat one like that' Skiprat picked up the sausage...
    'DOWN EVERYONE DOWN....RELEASE THE SAUSAGE! I REPEAT RELEASE THE SAUSAGE!'
    Skiprat panicked chunks of a cosby sweater started to pour out.
    'SIR!'
    Skiprat recovered and threw the sausage down a cul-de-sac

at that moment Skiprat woke up just as Mr Hankey was finished....

06 - rootsrat - Not Mine

Commander Myfault watched the convoy reach safe distance from the starport. The timer on the bomb in his cargo hold was ticking away. These Federal scum shall all die!

Suddenly a brief comms message arrived: “Prepare to be boarded!”

Seconds later the cops were on board. The moment they entered the cockpit, Myfault screamed: “I swear it was Coutts wot dunnit Guvnor!”.

“You’re under arrest for carrying illegal weapon! There is a mine in your cargo hold and we know all about your dastardly hatched plan!”

Myfault risked a quick gaze towards the cargo hold. “But that's not mine officer…”

07 - Polygonal Spaceship - Grounds for Arrest

Commander Smith tugged at his collar, hoping the customs officer didn't notice the sweat. van Maanen's Star, notorious home of the ascetic Guardians of the Free Spirit, hadn't been his first choice destination.

Missing a case of narcotics mislabelled "medical supplies", the monk held a canister aloft. "Contraband!" he crowed.

Smith blanched. "But that's not mine, officer!"

"Really? Whose is it?"

At that moment, Smith's pimple-faced YTS pilot entered, carrying a steaming, aromatic mug of coffee. Smith pointed silently. The officer drew his sidearm and levelled it at the youth. "Smuggling prohibited foodstuffs: guilty. Twenty years' hard labour," he proclaimed...

08 - Alien - This Is To A Theme Picked By Last Week's Joint Winner ... Alien!

The paint brushes went flying as the local younglings day outing activity was in full "let's do a good thing for Mister Seekeekoo cause he's an all-round excellent commanndeer like wot we hope to be wen wee iz big."

The ship used to be gun metal grey, then it was weathered gun metal grey, then it was I-Can't-Be-Arzed weathered gun metal grey and currently it had 51 children all over it.

Head boy Ben Eidlewise shouted at one confused youngling "ALIEN STOP THAT" and Commanndeer SeeKeeKoo shoo'd the kids away from his Type-9

His space cow was now a CowKow.

09 - RoyalHankey - New New New York

It was Christmas Eve babe
    In the drunk tank
    An old man said to me,
    Won't see another one
    And then he sang a song
    The Rare Old Mountain Dew
    I turned my face away
    And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
    Came in eighteen to one
    I've got a feeling
    This year's for me and you
    So happy Christmas
    I love you baby
    I can see a better time
    When all our dreams come true

They've got cars
    Big as bars
    They've got rivers of gold
    But the wind goes right through you
    It's no place for?

10 - insanephoton - Wacky Races

Welcome to the third annual Drabble race. We're here at Winnard's Hole waiting for the start of the seventeenth leg, Winnard's Hole to Hutton Orbital. The excitement is building after yesterday's dramatic finish. It was a dead heat between Winnard and Simoof. Who
    will win?
    The competitors are making their way towards their ships. The crowd is going wild.
    Something seems to be happening. Station security has cordoned off the area. They are heading towards Simoof's ship. They've taken a package from the ship. It appears to be a bag of Onionhead. Simoof has been arrested. Winnard wins by default.

11 - Galactic Midden - Almost a crash landing... never shift a "piano" with a pianist

"Right," said Fred, "Let us exit space dock
    Start the engines and steady as we go."
    Tried to shift it, couldn't even lift it
    We was getting nowhere
    And so we had a cuppa tea and

"Right," said Fred, "Give a shout for Simoof."
    Up comes Simoof from the deck below.
    After starin', swearin' and complainin'
    The python's going nowhere
    And so we had a cuppa tea.

And Simoof had a think, and he thought we ought to throw out all the cargo
    And the straps wot held John Virgo.
    But then John escaped, and that's when we killed Simoof!

12 - Phong The Late - Trying to rip the skein from remember(anything goes)

Interior of the dyson ballroom,watching xanti busy radiating away the unfurlingz from the top of the skai€tower in all directions..inanegurial bonkers.
    <Its all in the power to mass ratio.> a cheeky ekows from the interns garage whispersIN HIS EAR,going on to explain life according to hankey before disappearing beneath the swarming bundle of bodies that rapidly envelops her,and the band strikes up in Okenada .Watching the ripple as the segment begins to bob,widening the truncated chaos cone until tables,chairs , glasses,drinks and bodies begin to erupt from the surface playing second fiddle in a third rate bland

Video is processing,

Audio version is on itunes..

or direct here or via http://abrakadrabble.com

Well done Listeri69! Time to pick a topic. For my half I take my inspiration from today's weather and choose FROZEN.

And for my half I choose the topic FAUX PAS