Page 271 of 296 FirstFirst ... 261267268269270271272273274275281 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 4430

Thread: The Star Citizen Thread v8

Originally Posted by Jenner View Post (Source)
    Out of curiosity, is there anything going on with the game outside of the engine lawsuit and all? Where is the 3.0 release at nowadays?
    3.0.1 got released and fixed some stuff (no more player golf balls, ships spawn with doors and engines). It also had interdictions going crazy which really tanked performance. They seemed to have dialed back the interdictions server side though.

Their service beacon mechanic, which allows you to put up a beacon so other players can find you got moved from 3.2 to 3.1.

And 3.1 is supposed to be released sometime in March. If this is true should be only a few weeks before some sort of PTU for 3.1 is out.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

I'm surprised they are talking about increasing player capacity per instance when performance is already so slow.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

I'm surprised they are talking about increasing player capacity per instance when performance is already so slow.
    You're surprised they're talking about stuff they haven't done yet?

Isn't that basically what they've been doing for 7 years?

It’s not just in gameplay - they want Spectrum to be the home for Orgs with guild structures, recruitment and lulzbanning tools, leaderboards and guild publicity - with an as yet unknown method of translating any of that into gameplay.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Well, if they don't increase it, how will they ever get the thousand player instances the players dream of? They can always recfactor the networking later, after they dig the ditches for the pipelines and wibble the wobble of the womble something or other.

Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    It’s not just in gameplay - they want Spectrum to be the home for Orgs with guild structures, recruitment and lulzbanning tools, leaderboards and guild publicity - with an as yet unknown method of translating any of that into gameplay.
    I'm not sure how i would feel about that, having the devs being able to effecively moderate my groups activities.

Are the orgs still a thing?

I remember when there was a period when loads of them would turn up at the studio in their matching t-shirts/sweatshirts and do the tour.

There was an Elite org but IIRC the guy running it gave it up a few years back..

Originally Posted by ianw View Post (Source)
    Hell yeah. If there's one thing Star Citizen does cater for, it's the good ol' space bros and their "hangin' tuff an' rollin' witt it" posturing. If I'm honest, it's the one reason I'll probably end up refunding - I can take the crushing disappointment of 3.0.1 and all the broken promises, but the idea of sharing the same 'Verse with a bunch of saluting tea-bagging cosmic frat boys just fills me with dread.

Originally Posted by Zyll Goliat View Post (Source)
    So true....just because the guy have the idea and possibly some small skunk-work back in 2009 we should count that as an actual development.....I mean for god sake their CO Warhorse Studios was founded in 2011....
    And we have a lot of people saying that CIG started their project as soon as 2010-2011 and that indeed was development and not skunk-works...

And just because the company was founded later does not mean they had something in the works.

Originally Posted by Zyll Goliat View Post (Source)
    They most likely only did some concept art and possibly some storyline from 2009-2012 but not the prototype....according to the the wiki they build the prototype after they purchased their CE license in 2012 and before their KS campaign finished in 2014(seventeen months )...
    And yet they had an estimated delivery for DEC 2015, a wee bit optimistic.

Shame you couldn't buy imaginary swords for hundreds of dollars while that delivery date slipped, huh?

And we have a lot of people saying that CIG started their project as soon as 2010-2011 and that indeed was development and not skunk-works...
    and by lot of people, you mean God Emperor of CIG and dashing space worm Chris Roberts, right? I don't get it. What's with revising the dates and overruling the man who established that only he can speak for the project with authority? He already had to reign in Ben and Lando for speaking out of turn, is he going to have to sort you out next? The man told us when production started. Is it really making him look better to disregard him, or does it just make him sound even more incompetent?

It sure as hell wasn't "skunk-works" in that period in the sense that Frontier dabbled with Elite ideas while making and shipping many different games for many different clients. That would imply he had a dayjob game to do when clearly he didn't and this was his only shot back into the business and the focus of his attention.

Originally Posted by Snarfbuckle View Post (Source)
    Chris Roberts told us the game had already been in development for a year by the time he showed it off on Kickstarter, and used the demo as "proof".

Then we had it confirmed that CryTek did up the demo for free. And that the 18 month leeway period was largely to cover the 18 months of development Chris Roberts told us had already occurred, but didn't.

Everyone knows SC started development in 2011, but by talking it down people can try to avoid giving it the appearance of being horribly late and stuck in development hell.

That they feel the need to do this shows you how concerned they are about it.

Originally Posted by ianw View Post (Source)

I remember when there was a period when loads of them would turn up at the studio in their matching t-shirts/sweatshirts and do the tour.

There was an Elite org but IIRC the guy running it gave it up a few years back..
    I'm quite glad ED doesn't have Orgs in quite the same way as SC. I'm sure there are some groups that are kind of militaristic in style with leaders and virtual saluting etc. Fortunately ED doesn't tend to attract too many like that.

By SomethingJones

Guard Frequency Episode 026 | Interview with Chris Roberts
    Jun 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrJ6bcER26o#t=431s

@ 07:11

Q: (this is from 2014)
    When did you realise this project was bigger than you thought it would ever be?

Chris Roberts:
    Eh... haha! Em... well we... you know, ah... haha! Eeehhhh.... well we actually still need to GROW a little bit... no we do... no, there's just so much stuff to get done and like GET it done... uh, you know, in a manner that won't take FOREVER.

Ah, ahm. But uuhh... yeah I mean it's really to do with the SCOPE, I mean basically the LEVEL of backing sort of said, 'well, we want you to go FULL BORE', so at that point you go, like, 'OK, well what... you... we can sort of scale much WIDER', and so that's kinda what we've done

There is a bit of a RAMP UP time with it, right, so there's a time to get the teams up to speed, CRYENGINE takes some time to learn it's a really powerful engine but it's got a really steep learning curve, ah... so I'm HOPING that sort of the effect of having such a large group of people is going to be paying off, probably in the next few months.

There's a bunch of content we haven't shared with anyone yet, we will start to... we've sort of been focussing on ARENA COMMANDER but we're gonna start showing some other stuff.

We've been working on stuff like PERSISTENT UNIVERSE and just the level of ENVIRONMENT DETAIL... well they're coming online, we're just trying to get everything in place because the whole idea with it is... in essence Star Citizen's really like FOUR GAMES IN ONE, it's... you know there's the SPACE DOGFIGHTING and then there's the FIRST PERSON SHOOTER side and there's sort of uh, you know... kinda TRADING planetside stuff

And then you know, if you wanna call it, an additional game mode is like the BIG CAPITAL SHIP STUFF which is a whole... different, where people like FUNCTION and fly a ship together and work as a TEAM

Ahm, so essentially we have all these things that are HAPPENING and you CAN'T sort of parallelise those because you know, the stuff down on the planet is pretty separate to the stuff up in space for instance. And so that's sort of what we've been spending... you know we only really started to crank it up last October, November (2013) so it just takes time getting everyone up to speed and get processes in place which makes those teams work effectively together... which we're still in the process of doing

But I'm sort of hoping that everyone's going to start seeing the rewards of that, because there's just a level of FIDELITY that we're going for that, you know... it's like a... you know... it's a STEP BEYOND... anyone else's... you know, maybe they just weren't STUPID ENOUGH to try it but, ha-haha!

But yeah, so.
    I love how Chris manages to say all of that, pumping the dream but still avoid answering such a simple question.

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    I'm quite glad ED doesn't have Orgs in quite the same way as SC. I'm sure there are some groups that are kind of militaristic in style with leaders and virtual saluting etc. Fortunately ED doesn't tend to attract too many like that.
    I think it's all part of some sort of Herd mentality that CGI found out it actually works...
    As long as you are with your buddies in ships you paid several hundreds of dollars you CAN'T possibly not have fun, amirite?
    No matter what, you WILL have fun!

Originally Posted by TenakaFurey View Post (Source)
    Chris Roberts told us the game had already been in development for a year by the time he showed it off on Kickstarter, and used the demo as "proof".

Then we had it confirmed that CryTek did up the demo for free. And that the 18 month leeway period was largely to cover the 18 months of development Chris Roberts told us had already occurred, but didn't.
    I know we are talking about Croberts here, but I've always wondered on the validity of that statement.

I think that the video on the Kickstarter showing the Bengal Carrier, getting into the cockpit, out of it, and onto the Bridge was the Crytek faked footage. But was all of it faked? What about Croberts showing off his rudimentary flight physics showing a basic hornet? Was that also faked? If so, that's scam-central right there.

Was there a source that specifically mentions what was and wasn't faked? Source?