Page 450 of 660 FirstFirst ... 445448449450451452455 ... LastLast
Results 6,736 to 6,750 of 9896

Thread: The Star Citizen Thread v8

Originally Posted by Zetta View Post (Source)
    As someone pointed out, the difference between 3D Realms and CIG is that the Duke Nukem guys got their money from selling successful games, the ego was the problem not the financing, as it was their own money. CR has the same ego but he's also continually holding out the begging cap.
    Indeed. Broussard screwed up and wasted his own money, whereas Chris Roberts seems to be headed in the same disastrous direction wasting everyone else’s money and not his own.

The only reason we got Freelancer was because someone put the kibosh on Roberts' overbudget, overdue program, and released it rough after some quick cleanup. This happens to the man every time it seems. This time, though, someone gave him a truckload of money, and no one to say he couldn't do it.

Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    I'm not familiar with that protocol. Is that yet another brand new, never done before, Genuine Roberts invention?
    The Great and Powerful Roberts has explained to us great benefits of transmitting networking over string.

The length of the piece of string exactly matches the development time until release, and some say if you wind in the string over a long enough period of time there's a copy of the Squadron 42 roadmap attached to the other end...

Originally Posted by Viajero View Post (Source)
    Indeed. Broussard screwed up and wasted his own money, whereas Chris Roberts seems to be headed in the same disastrous direction wasting everyone else’s money and not his own.
    Broussard ego make him to waste his own money but here we have paradox actually because Roberts getting richer&richer thx to his HUGE ego......

Originally Posted by Coloratura View Post (Source)
    The only reason we got Freelancer was because someone put the kibosh on Roberts' overbudget, overdue program, and released it rough after some quick cleanup. This happens to the man every time it seems. This time, though, someone gave him a truckload of money, and no one to say he couldn't do it.
    Precisely. Chris Roberts has been responsible for some pretty good games - but only because someone else was above him, in some manner, and so was in the position of taking his unfeasible, unrealistic ideas for the game he's trying to make and saying 'No. We don't have the time and/or money.' This time, no-one is in that position - he is the boss. As such, any time he sees or thinks of something that he thinks is cool, and wants to put it in Star Citizen, it goes in, even if that means many more months or even years of work. This also means that if he thinks something isn't quite good enough, it gets reworked, even if that means months more work for a relatively tiny improvement. This is also why you will find all sorts of little details in the game, and find some pretty good graphics, but also a hell of a lot of bugs, just about zero optimisation, and some basic things for an MMO that still don't work right, like the underlying netcode, for example, even though we're approaching 7 years of development (the Kickstarter was in 2012, but the game had apparently been in development for about a year before that) - the dev team seem to be spending time putting in what Chris thinks will look and/or be cool, so they aren't getting enough time to get the basics right first. The fact they seem to be trying to make sure money keeps funneling in by constantly finding new ways of trying to sell things that don't yet exist, even virtually, and doing things like changing the TOS to limit or eliminate your right of refund seems to indicate that, even though they have already raised a ludicrous amount of money, they still need more.

One thing I noticed is that they've selling 'gift cards' for higher than their face value. As I type, for me, a $10 card costs $12, a $25 card costs $30, a $50 card cost $60 and a $100 card cost $120. This is apparently because, being in the UK, they charge me VAT on gift cards - but you don't have to pay VAT on gift cards, as no goods or services have been supplied at the point of sale of the gift card, so making that claim either shows their tax people are incompetent or they are lying by claiming that. I would not like to guess which of those two it is.

Originally Posted by Zmidponk View Post (Source)
    One thing I noticed is that they've selling 'gift cards' for higher than their face value. As I type, for me, a $10 card costs $12, a $25 card costs $30, a $50 card cost $60 and a $100 card cost $120. This is apparently because, being in the UK, they charge me VAT on gift cards - but you don't have to pay VAT on gift cards, as no goods or services have been supplied at the point of sale of the gift card, so making that claim either shows their tax people are incompetent or they are lying by claiming that. I would not like to guess which of those two it is.
    They've been slapped around over that before and have, in their usual, confused and circuitous way explained that a $10 gift card ($12 inc. VAT) can indeed be used to buy a $10 item ($12 inc VAT). They just don't want to make the effort to explain the very obvious that everyone who has to deal with it already knows, and instead apply the US way of doing things to everyone, even when it's not actually what's going on and just makes everything more opaque.

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    How the hell can backers keep coming up with more and more insane stuff, and then tell each other what a cool idea it would be for SC!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...lay_should_be/

Yeah, might be a cool mini game for some sort of game, one focused on hacking. But this desire to turn SC into an everything simulator is horrendous.
    It's almost as if they don't want the game to be released. I guess the longer it is in this protracted development cycle, the longer before they have face the uncomfortable truth that what they're getting is a tarted up Crysis mod with a story written by a 12 year old.

Originally Posted by jefranklin18 View Post (Source)
    It's almost as if they don't want the game to be released. I guess the longer it is in this protracted development cycle, the longer before they have face the uncomfortable truth that what they're getting is a tarted up Crysis mod with a story written by a 12 year old.
    I think that might be precisely what is happening. It's more fun to theorise about your ideal game than to be disillusioned by a pale shadow when an actual game gets delivered. There's a sort of unwritten and unacknowledged contract between RSI and the superfans that the game will be in perpetual development, and this Schrödinger's Cat of a game will retain the potential to be the game everyone has been dreaming of, not just a 3D version of Space Invaders with a fuse-changing repair minigame and golf swing scanner mechanics.

Wasn't this "quick cleanup" three years long?

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    How the hell can backers keep coming up with more and more insane stuff, and then tell each other what a cool idea it would be for SC!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...lay_should_be/

Yeah, might be a cool mini game for some sort of game, one focused on hacking. But this desire to turn SC into an everything simulator is horrendous.
    Now the real question is how to monetize this.
    For example you could buy computers in game for real money.

What a cool move it would be from CR to offer top-tier computers for only $999 that include Elite Dangerous.

Anyone giving me short summary what's going on? Haven't been following SC for months.

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Anyone giving me short summary what's going on? Haven't been following SC for months.
    Same old. Same as in same same.

You don't understand the troubles he faces and the pressure he's under - they are out to get him and ruin his vision! It could be said to be reminiscent of the struggles of Francis Ford Copolla when he made Apocalypse Now - they simply couldn't grasp his greatness and let him achieve such heights in the art of film making.

Originally Posted by jefranklin18 View Post (Source)
    with a story written by a 12 year old.
    IMPOSSIBLE! Would a 12 year old get Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman and er.... some other people? I think not! It will be the most awesomest awesome space movie ever game ever with romance and action and feelings not just pew pew and swoopy swoop.

Perhaps that is the "game" itself? A game which centers on a "game in development" if u can wrap your head around that idea? When u hook in all the other elements such as media including website, twitch, youtube, promoters, etc... its all a big "Star Citizen game within a game." Those who play SC are playing a game which involves an aspect of social media reality coupled with a never ending release of "game content" if you can follow my train of thought here...?! There will never be an actual game.... the "game" is now.

Having now upgraded to 3.1.2, I had a fly around this afternoon, and it's still all judders and glitches. It also seems almost nailed on that your first attempt at playing will crash - always for me the first time I fly away from Port Olisar.

After reloading I flew down to Daymar and messed about - you can land on top of emergency shelters, as I discovered while practising landing. Wasn't sure how I was going to get back up on top of the shelter to board my ship, but the game crashed as I ran towards the shelter anyway so I guess Science will have to wait.

I still don't like the flight model (though I've got a bit more used to its oddities) and I really hate the cockpit view, it's so restricted (even in my Aurora which is supposedly one of the better ones?). Surely a game which boasts such graphic fidelity would make the most of the cockpit to show off the view - at the moment I feel like a medieval knight peering out of his helmet visor.

Daymar looked pretty good though in F4 view mode, albeit completely deserted and lacking in content.

Originally Posted by WindWpn View Post (Source)
    Perhaps that is the "game" itself? A game which centers on a "game in development" if u can wrap your head around that idea? When u hook in all the other elements such as media including website, twitch, youtube, promoters, etc... its all a big "Star Citizen game within a game." Those who play SC are playing a game which involves an aspect of social media reality coupled with a never ending release of "game content" if you can follow my train of thought here...?! There will never be an actual game.... the "game" is now.
    Yes, it's the Star Citizen "meta" - it's the best thing about Star Citizen currently.