Page 269 of 660 FirstFirst ... 264267268269270271274 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,035 of 9896

Thread: The Star Citizen Thread v8

Yeah, there is nothing in Eve to actually explore. Everything has been mapped out and dissected, the triggers and content for every last encounter documented, and the mechanics just determine what site you encounter where.

There was a slight mystery with the wormholes (in 2010) and some of the incursions (2011), but that was jus at down to the obscurity of the mechanics, not the content itself. All real exploring was done in a matter of weeks. And that's for a game with hundreds of encounters in thousands of systems.

Originally Posted by TenakaFurey View Post (Source)
    Exploration in EVE is essentially a process of random encounters. You enter a system and several cosmic anomalies might be present. You head to a cosmic anomaly go open it and see whats inside. If there are no anomalies, you go elsewhere and come back later.

The "random chest" appears to be the only way exploration can work within SC, but it's also not one that generates much excitement. Nor is it really exploration.
    Not sure I agree. People 'loath' randomness, but actually I enjoy it a great deal. It is more of chance to see something in specific location. If it is well designed, randomness really does not bother me.

Let's say Everspace. It's levels is rogue like, random. Despite all that I still enjoy exploring them. It is fun.

I don't think there's game yet - and I doubt there ever will be - for people wanting to discover something truly original. To be fair, even real life explorers describe their process as something very grindy. It have taken months, years for famous explorers to discover something they name after themselves.

So random POIs aren't issue, they can give good feel about exploring - if they are done right. All volcanism in Elite isn't random, it is determined, discovering them is a bit random, but overall they are there because of planet simulation. That's I think is closest you can get to meaningful process there.

CIG simply does not have tools to pull this off.

Originally Posted by sovapid View Post (Source)
    Eve has an exploration mechanic, doesn't it? And it has a much more limited "universe", at least compared to NMS and ED.
    The difference with exploration in EVE as compared to any current space game is that the mechanic for it is very detailed, interesting, and requires real skill and judgement to do it effectively, but the rewards can be great even for basic users and it's very satisfying to play. Yes the content has been discovered over and over but where the types of content appear changes every day.

I loved it personally and never got bored of it. It is a constant source of disappointment for me that ED doesnt have something as engaging, interesting, rewarding, or detailed. I can only imagine the perfunctory mess that SC will make of it.

That's all true.

The distinction between gameplay and content is a pretty important one — EVE has lots of one, ED lots of the other. EVE suffers from being locked in an early '00:s design of static “dungeons” that are servered up with some minimal randomisation; ED suffers from having its only real exploration gameplay be tied to the SRV and not be particularly rewarding. Both really come as a direct result of the overarching world design: limited and constructed, but mechanics-focused vs. (near-)infinitely generated, but there more for the sake of simply having lots of it.

Both games have some actual design thought put into them, and the player is more left to argue the merits of the balance between those two aspects.

Originally Posted by Zetta View Post (Source)
    It's a donation not a purchase!

Nope... http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/02/01/z...efund-in-court
    No ToS will save them

Interesting read, especially...
    ....It also demonstrates, yet again, that the multi-page small print so familiar to the online age and digital goods is rarely legally binding. This judgement says that transactions of this sort you give me 100, I'll deliver you a given object in 12 months amount to a direct contract of sale. Which will certainly be useful if anyone else out there is looking for refunds on this kind of thing.

Sounds a tad familiar....

As far as the defence of the defendant is concerned, at no stage do they deny there was effectively an agreement to provide the Vega Plus. Their defense is very much on the basis of, 'were going to produce it, hes going to get it, its just a bit late'. There was an estimated delivery date of September 2016.

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Not sure I agree. People 'loath' randomness
    The randomness isn't an issue....

It's that ecploration is little more than going from one system you have visited umpteen times in the past to another system you have visited umpteen times in the past, seeing the same stars and planets and moons with all that is really changing being the contents of the chest/encounter/anomaly that is randomly generated

Originally Posted by Dooguk View Post (Source)
    Here is another article on the same subject....

https://hackaday.com/2018/02/03/crow...ny-and-backer/
    For God's sake beside all broken promises those people also using Sinclair name for their own benefits....disgusting....Can Sir.Clive Sinclair(his lawyers) make charges against them?
    BTW.when we touch this subject Does anyone knows how Spectrum Next going on?

Is this means that our beloved Spectrum turning to the dark side???

Originally Posted by Zyll Goliat View Post (Source)
    For God's sake beside all broken promises those people also using Sinclair name for their own benefits....disgusting....Can Sir.Clive Sinclair(his lawyers) make charges against them?
    BTW.when we touch this subject Does anyone knows how Spectrum Next going on?

Is this means that our beloved Spectrum turning to the dark side???
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScKKkVtB2lc
    Put that pitchfork away. Read the other article, it says Sincliar supported the endeavour.

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    Sincliar
    Freudian slip, or honest typo? Hmm...?

I must admit that even after backing a few successful kickstarters and receiving the rewards I am becoming wary of backing projects nowadays.

This may not be a popular opinion, however, I think there needs to be better regulation of crowdfunding with protection for backers. Maybe projects like Star Citizen, which everyday is looking more certain to fail, will cause Governments to bring in regulations or laws for protection, especially as the failure of Star Citizen will result in a huge fallout.

It's good that Rob Morton won the case against Retro Computers Ltd. however, it's just the start on what is needed in my opinion.

Obviously with any form of crowdfunding it's a gamble whether the product is delivered in the way that it was described and people should be ok with that providing they don't receive a mobile game when they were expecting a PC game. What I dislike more than anything about CIG's approach is that they won't commit to anything. Nobody seems to know when anything is going to be done and their style of crowdfunding basically amounts to nothing more than 'give us your money'. It's an awful way to treat your customers if you ask me.