Page 622 of 622 FirstFirst ... 612618619620621622
Results 9,316 to 9,322 of 9322

Thread: The Star Citizen Thread v8

Originally Posted by Vasea Azure View Post (Source)
    The rate of like/dislike under this incredibly misleading piece is sad. But Im glad to read that there was at least some vocal reaction to this at the e3. Sad to think how many uninformed folks will give them money after watching this. I know i did exactly this after watching few of those some years ago.
    If you show an interest in the game by posting in the chat in any of their livestreams and asking questions; 'what is this game', how much is it', 'this sounds great' etc, your pm inbox will start to fill up with messages from the clergy persuading you to part with your cash and explaining the optimal buying strategy to get your ship collection started.

I've done this a few times, try it, it's fun.

Originally Posted by MTBFritz View Post (Source)
    And its not a "war" really.
    Quite - some crossover notwithstanding on the one side you have a community largely famous for shennanigans, trolling and all sorts.

On the other you have a community largely famous for getting rilly rilly upset all over the internet when people say nasty things about them/CR/CIG/Star Citizen.

It seems a teensy bit one-sided..

Originally Posted by Jacques d'Orleans View Post (Source)
    I do not say that we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of whales any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea,
    but I do say that space games can be developed and enjoyed without raping the wallets, without repeating the mistakes that Chris Roberts has made in extending his mis-management around this globe of ours.

There is no Star Citizen, no game, just a alpha build in crappy state as yet. Its community is hostile to us all.
    Its defeat deserves the best of all EvE players, and CIG's opportunity for scamming citizens may never come again.

But why, some say, CIG? Why choose this as our goal?
    And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, play Donkey Kong? Why does one play Elite?
    We choose to fight CIG! We choose to fight CIG in this decade and do the other things, not because they are CIG, but because they are inept;
    because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our sh*tpost and tear collectors, because that meme war is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone,
    and one we intend to win, and the others, too.
    +rep for the Kennedy speech thingie

Originally Posted by Cobra1984 View Post (Source)
    If you show an interest in the game by posting in the chat in any of their livestreams and asking questions; 'what is this game', how much is it', 'this sounds great' etc, your pm inbox will start to fill up with messages from the clergy persuading you to part with your cash and explaining the optimal buying strategy to get your ship collection started.

I've done this a few times, try it, it's fun.
    The icing on top is you repeatedly asking for people to send you a referrer code. And when they do, act as if you can't see it, or it doesn't work.

In some ways, this whole saga is already over. The media and the gaming public at large are treating it not just with skepticism, but humour - Chris Roberts has become a laughingstock. It really is as simple as that. The legatus package may have been the final straw that broke the better-sit-back-and-see-what-happens camel's back, and made people chime in and just laugh and laugh at Roberts selling twenty-seven thousand dollars of ships, most of which don't exist, to perform mechanics that don't exist, in a game that doesn't exist. The analogy with multi-level marketing really is great: on top of the monetary structure, Star Citizen has multiple levels which don't exist. It's a failure-to-exist sandwich, and they're asking you twenty-seven thousand dollars to eat it. That's not even outrageous, it's just funny.

In these terms, being four years overdue is just a footnote. And the tragic, and frankly beautiful irony is that as CIG scrambles more desperately to get more money, they have to resort to more and more ludicrous tactics to squeeze money out of their backers. To escape the growing laughter from outside, they have to provoke that laughter ever more. CIG's credibility enfeeblement function obeys a power law and its exponent is hella positive.

What's left is a delusional backer base who will always find some excuse as to why Roberts failed. The inability to ascribe failure to him in the past will only extend to the future. But then, there are people still defending the Ouya. Maybe there's a person out there still defending Enron. It doesn't matter. It's already over. The rest of the time from here to whatever end CIG has in store is just a payoff for it.

There is the final caveat that Roberts will deliver. This appears nigh-impossible, but some handful of stranger things have happened. If he did, it would benefit gaming, and for myself, it would certainly be painless to eat these words. After all, it didn't cost me twenty-seven thousand dollars to write them.

Originally Posted by Osmanthus View Post (Source)
    There is the final caveat that Roberts will deliver. This appears nigh-impossible, but some handful of stranger things have happened. If he did, it would benefit gaming, and for myself, it would certainly be painless to eat these words. After all, it didn't cost me twenty-seven thousand dollars to write them.
    Yeah but we will point the finger at you and laugh!

Originally Posted by Viajero View Post (Source)
    Yeah but we will point the finger at you and laugh!
    A lesson in humility is good for one though bitter, but I think that such a lesson will not be derived from Star Citizen except as a case study