Page 648 of 648 FirstFirst ... 638644645646647648
Results 9,706 to 9,718 of 9718

Thread: The Star Citizen Thread v8

  1. #9706
    Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    Yup, although that does have interesting implications for ships that have a crew of more than 8....
    Enemy within emergent gameplay confirmed.

  2. #9707
    Are we actually arguing about what is realistic in a universe with FTL travel and artificial gravity?

    Sorry, I just want to check.

  3. #9708
    Originally Posted by DLewth View Post (Source)
    Are we actually arguing about what is realistic in a universe with FTL travel and artificial gravity?

    Sorry, I just want to check.
    Yes, welcome to the most wonderful and vibrant expression of Tim Berners-Lee's vision for a new global meritocracy based on reasoned debates, and rigorously researched facts.

    And anyone who disagrees with me is a stinky silly poo head, so there!

  4. #9709
    Originally Posted by DLewth View Post (Source)
    Are we actually arguing about what is realistic in a universe with FTL travel and artificial gravity?

    Sorry, I just want to check.
    To be fair, realism in computer games is always discussed, regardless for what title. Even tho the fall-back excuse is "its a game" there are games out there which get very close to realistic conditions or at least hack it in such ways that its hardly noticable. Mostly "some aspects" of any given feature is realistic while the rest is bent due to the rule of cool or in order to allow gameplay in the first place. FTL travel and artificial gravity itself tho is purely theoretical and based on opinion. Current knowledge doesnt allow for either or makes any of them impossible to achieve but 200 years back people claimed that its impossible to fly or go faster then 50kmh so the next break-through might be just around the corner ^^

  5. #9710

  6. #9711
    Huh, that's surprising. So, how much of the mining mechanics does SC have implemented and working right now?

  7. #9712
    Originally Posted by MTBFritz View Post (Source)
    To be fair, realism in computer games is always discussed, regardless for what title. Even tho the fall-back excuse is "its a game" there are games out there which get very close to realistic conditions or at least hack it in such ways that its hardly noticable. Mostly "some aspects" of any given feature is realistic while the rest is bent due to the rule of cool or in order to allow gameplay in the first place. FTL travel and artificial gravity itself tho is purely theoretical and based on opinion. Current knowledge doesnt allow for either or makes any of them impossible to achieve but 200 years back people claimed that its impossible to fly or go faster then 50kmh so the next break-through might be just around the corner ^^
    Maybe people wouldn't argue that much if CIG focused less on saying physicallized fidelicious physicallities...

  8. #9713
    Originally Posted by MTBFritz View Post (Source)
    To be fair, realism in computer games is always discussed, regardless for what title. Even tho the fall-back excuse is "its a game" there are games out there which get very close to realistic conditions or at least hack it in such ways that its hardly noticable. Mostly "some aspects" of any given feature is realistic while the rest is bent due to the rule of cool or in order to allow gameplay in the first place. FTL travel and artificial gravity itself tho is purely theoretical and based on opinion. Current knowledge doesnt allow for either or makes any of them impossible to achieve but 200 years back people claimed that its impossible to fly or go faster then 50kmh so the next break-through might be just around the corner ^^
    Thats absolutely nonsensical. You can claim anything 'is purely theoretical and based on opinion' with that argument. FTL and artificial gravity is not realistic, period.

  9. #9714
    Originally Posted by sleutelbos View Post (Source)
    Thats absolutely nonsensical. You can claim anything 'is purely theoretical and based on opinion' with that argument. FTL and artificial gravity is not realistic, period.
    Artificial gravity is pretty realistic, albeit it surely won't look like in Star Trek, but is pretty good depicted in the ED moving station rings.
    Interesting part starts at the 26 minute mark.

  10. #9715
    Originally Posted by MTBFritz View Post (Source)
    To be fair, realism in computer games is always discussed, regardless for what title. Even tho the fall-back excuse is "its a game" there are games out there which get very close to realistic conditions or at least hack it in such ways that its hardly noticable. Mostly "some aspects" of any given feature is realistic while the rest is bent due to the rule of cool or in order to allow gameplay in the first place. FTL travel and artificial gravity itself tho is purely theoretical and based on opinion. Current knowledge doesnt allow for either or makes any of them impossible to achieve but 200 years back people claimed that its impossible to fly or go faster then 50kmh so the next break-through might be just around the corner ^^
    What makes me SMH is when a game's universe offers artificial gravity, FTL travel, holographic displays and nipple jets, but hasn't automated the process of turning off a mining laser when some variable gets too high.

  11. #9716
    Originally Posted by McGlashan View Post (Source)
    What makes me SMH is when a game's universe offers artificial gravity, FTL travel, holographic displays and nipple jets, but hasn't automated the process of turning off a mining laser when some variable gets too high.
    That is what is called the entertainment part.
    Nobody seemed upset with the movie Matrix as well, even though:
    1. the machines could have done with geothermal energy just as humans did
    2. even if machines needed humans for energy generation, why bother with simulation when you can keep them in coma?

  12. #9717
    Originally Posted by optimal_909 View Post (Source)
    That is what is called the entertainment part.
    If SC was ever to become a finished game that was worth playing, it would probably take someone 5 minutes to create a bot that automatically maximised the mining yield (free mod tools for everyone, remember!) Only the most perverse players would continue do it manually after about the first 5 rocks, if a more convenient method was available.

  13. #9718
    Originally Posted by McGlashan View Post (Source)
    If SC was ever to become a finished game that was worth playing, it would probably take someone 5 minutes to create a bot that automatically maximised the mining yield (free mod tools for everyone, remember!) Only the most perverse players would continue do it manually after about the first 5 rocks, if a more convenient method was available.
    In every game like ED or EvE mining becomes a real pain in the a*s when you do it long enough. I don't think that it will be any different in SD.
    But the biggest difference is, that I can mine with ingame currency bought ships (ED) or with a starter ship like the Venture (EvE) which you get for free after doing the tutorial missions, instead of dishing out 120/140 $ for a mining ship which is basically nothing else than a starter ship.