Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B rated modules

B rated modules

Stock ships come with a bunch of E modules to make the purchase look like a good deal, but needing 50-100% added to get it up to spec. Sounds just like a real car sale.

But what about the B rated core modules; does anyone actually use them? They are heavier, not much better than a C and basically not a worthwhile upgrade to any ship. I don't think I have ever used one in my elite career and was wondering what the use of these parts are, and if other people actually do find them useful? Personally I tend to use D or A rated depending on what ship it goes in to, even with the 138M 8A thrusters of the Cutter I went from 7A to 8A as I couldn't waste the money on the 8D/C/B thrusters as an intermediary.

What are your thoughts?

PS: I get the 0B scanners, scoops etc. The question is mainly about the core modules like pp, thr, fsd, pd, se, ls

Yes, if A is not accessible, or getting it cost wise is not sensible yet for me.

They have the higgest integrity so it may be useful for some PvP builds.

I'm with OP. I usually go from D straight to A when I can afford it.

For SCBs you actually get the most MJ out of a B grade bank.

If you're on a budget they can make sense. I ran an 7B power plant on my Python for a while. Another Cr. 30m for another 2.5mj just didn't make sense at the time. Not when I could engineer it beyond that for free.

Obviously as I earned more I upgraded but the ol' 7B did me proud for quite a while.

Originally Posted by JonathanBurnage View Post (Source)

IMO class C modules are the most useless ones.

Keeps insurance low and has best integraty, if you are a trader it can realy help tank some thruster and power plant attacks.

Originally Posted by JonathanBurnage View Post (Source)
    Which is true but depending on your build/engineering you may need to carry an extra heat sink launcher in order to deploy those cells without boiling your ship. If that requires dropping a shield booster from your utility points then...

As pointed out, I am not talking about fashion accessories, but the core modules

Originally Posted by GunnerBill View Post (Source)
    Which is true but depending on your build/engineering you may need to carry an extra heat sink launcher in order to deploy those cells without boiling your ship. If that requires dropping a shield booster from your utility points then...
    Nontheless, it is a good application, ergo, they are useful just not too much.

Too heavy!

A "D" Rated module is a much better choice when properly engineered.

It depends on my build and finances; though I tend to A-rate eventually if I'm flush with creds. In the interim sometimes the B is more than serviceable, considering cost and effectiveness. I will actively avoid B if I'm building for weight however.

I agree with the previous post about C-rate being the most useless. I only run a C if there's literally nothing better available.

Very useful if you need beefier modules for a hull tank. Otherwise, useless.

Originally Posted by Jimbodiah View Post (Source)
    As pointed out, I am not talking about fashion accessories, but the core modules
    Depends on the module and ship. IMHO big lumbering ships can use a B-drive well. Its not as if an A-drive will suddenly make them super agile, and the integrity is very welcome. On T9s for example I'd much rather put B-rated pp and thrusters to both keep insurance (and as such risk) low while also increasing chance of survival.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast