Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Last Gasp (06.01.3304 - 14.01.3304)

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Incidentally, people feeling somewhat befuddled by the planning aspect of this race might like to know that one of my original concepts was not simply the total linear distance of all of the stations visited but the total volume of space enclosed by those stations.

https://uk.mathworks.com/help/exampl...Example_02.png

Maybe I'll do a sequel later in the year!

There now are a few words on my tongue which would get me censored, if not banned .

This would require a minimum of four different systems visited, and probably slow down a bit after 8, which means a station approach and landing in under two minutes... are you sure that's even possible?

I'm AFK by measly 9324km, but will run...

Awesome race concept! I probably won't be home during the event dates but you can bet I will go back and make a run or two at it later, just for fun.

It's time to get hypoxic:
    (skip to 6:00)

N00b question: What mode do you have to Buckyball race in?

If I only had 25 minutes left to live I would ... not want to be dodging gankers is all...

Originally Posted by Stinja View Post (Source)
    Alec will have to confirm whether or not there are any specific rules for this race, but the general answer can be found here: http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/entry.html#faq

If I only had 25 minutes left to live I would ... not want to be dodging gankers is all...
    We try to encourage Open but do you know what ... I don't really mind. That said, very much doubt you'll encounter gankers.

re: gankers, just realised about the registration rules Solo may reduce the console "warp-tunnel penalty" is all.

Completed a trial run, back to LHS 142 with 10s O2 to spare.

EDIT: run2 not so good... got another outpost in, but back to LHS 142 with 1:31s remaining, orbits meant a slower SC (Vo Dock between both planets), drop into station with 29s remaining, and as aligning with the toaster, I piked out with 4s and turned o2 back on

Completed a trial run, back to LHS 142 with 10s O2 to spare.
    Impressive!

Incidentally, while contributing to a favourite movie quotes thread I was reminded of one of my all-time favourite Elite: Dangerous videos and it seems appropriate to include it here.

Which brings me to a question. When you were on your last 10 seconds or so of Oxygen the gasping sounds made by your dying commander used to get more extreme as you started gulping for air. Is it just me or does this no longer happen? (or does it only happen if you have a broken canopy).

Oh, which also reminds me, another early concept I had for this race required pilots to deliberately smash their canopy against the side of Vo Dock before starting the run ('cos I thought that trying to line up those outpost landings with only a partial HUD visible would be more "fun"). Luckily for you guys, despite extensive testing, I never managed to deliberately break the glass (although I did break a few ships).

Are plantery ports not allowed?

Originally Posted by crotalus View Post (Source)
    Are plantery ports not allowed?
    I did test that and it would work (i.e. you can turn around on the pad without restoring O2) but, for the sake of keeping things fair for people without horizons, I'm gonna say no again ... sorry. I'll add that to the FAQ. For what it's worth I suspect the time lost to planetary descent and glide would mean it's not worth it anyway.

Impressive!

Incidentally, while contributing to a favourite movie quotes thread I was reminded of one of my all-time favourite Elite: Dangerous videos and it seems appropriate to include it here.

https://youtu.be/Djy83O0nfds

The "Play" icon for that video is slightly worn out in my browser...probably one of the first I put a "like" on, one of those few precious moments of gaming that only a handful of titles manages to give.

P.S: "Interstellar" , aka "the closer I ever came to crying while watching a movie".
    Oh right, also "the earlier I ever spoiled a movie ending to my gf while watching said movie the first time", she still holds a friendly grudge on that ...

The man at the bar stretched, drained his glass and checked his watch ... "7 hours to go" he thought.

"You want another Mr Barnum?"

"No thanks Pancho, think I'm gonna head home, freshen up and then head over to the observation lounge."

"You think anyone's crazy enough to actually turn up to this thing then?"

"We'll see ... don't hold your breath!"

He laughed at his little joke and headed for the door, waving over his shoulder - "c'ya later PB"

i'm back!

it's been a few months of 'stuff', not serious stuff, just stuff.

Having starved myself of Elite i'm going to jump into starving myself (of oxygen) in Elite! love it.

see you all at Vo. nice to see Jak as the bartender. good touch.

I did test that and it would work (i.e. you can turn around on the pad without restoring O2) but, for the sake of keeping things fair for people without horizons, I'm gonna say no again ... sorry. I'll add that to the FAQ. For what it's worth I suspect the time lost to planetary descent and glide would mean it's not worth it anyway.
    I agree about the time lost, the reason I was asking was that I was wondering how far I could go.
    Looking at distance to the ports I suspect the furthest that that I could go would require landing at planetary stations I know doing that would not have set a good score it was just out of curiosity

Commencing hyperventilation procedures:

Now I just need to find how far I can go in this contraption before turning blue!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast