Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Last Gasp (06.01.3304 - 14.01.3304)

Ok, since I apparently can't get any more of those pesky Classified Scan Databanks pilfered from planetary outpost, I can't unlock Ram Tah to get my heatsink launcher down to a reasonable weight.
    I'll have to do it without them, this might get cozy. I already had to replace the overcharged 2D power plant with a low emissions 2A - overheating on every jump started to grate on my nerves.

So: intent to broil the chicken.

CMDR: Azzie Elbub
    Class: Open
    Ship type: Hauler
    Ship name: Seventh Circle

Scanning run done, discovery scanner stored, ready to roll.

Right then folks ... after several days of hushed anticipation and frenzied trial and error route plotting (or at least I assume that's what's been going on) we finally have our first official race entry!

In the regulation Hauler class Cmdr Aken B. brings a Lemon To A Gunfight and sets the bar at an impressive 1040.42ly!

Not only that but he's our first winner of a blue "Very Last Gasp" trophy. Bravo sir!

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Not only that but he's our first winner of a blue "Very Last Gasp" trophy. Bravo sir!

https://i.imgur.com/fxD2sOf.png
    Now that we're at it, does this amount to any award?

I didn't even have to be rescued, I just had to wait there, slowly floating toward the nearest surface!

The race begins at Vo Dock in the LHS 142 system (one of Mr Obsidian Ant's personal favourites and you'll soon see why).
    Was this the reason by any chance?

Because I find it a reason good enough! So much beauty, so little time...

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Now that we're at it, does this amount to any award?

https://i.imgur.com/RXvI7ib.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cZgF0n9.jpg

I didn't even have to be rescued, I just had to wait there, slowly floating toward the nearest surface!
    Yes, I believe that qualifies for the "it's not pretty to look at but it'll get you where you wanted to go" award!

Was this the reason by any chance?

https://i.imgur.com/VmPGkVU.jpg

Because I find it a reason good enough! So much beauty, so little time...
    More or less. As a station to run missions (or indeed Buckyball Races) in and out of it's a constant feast for the eyes on approach.

But don't take my word for it, here's the man himself ...

Question: is visiting the same system multiple times allowed? I'd expect the answer to be a "no", but just to be sure.

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Question: is visiting the same system multiple times allowed? I'd expect the answer to be a "no", but just to be sure.
    Yes (as per the example in the rules section) ... you can't visit the same outpost more than once tho.

Alright, results from last night:

Scouted potential systems for my route: check
    Reviewed past runs to determine what my typical "margin of error" in the early, middle, and late race is: check
    Laid out route, with an eye on being able to complete it later in the race: check
    Drilled Team Stevenson's Rescue Team in reviving oxygen deprived Commanders: check
    Set HOTAS to racing mode: check
    Resisted urge to go "just a little bit deeper" in Subnautica: dang it!

My "weekend" is coming up. Time to do some racing!

Ok, result from this evening:

Made it back to LHS 142, but botched the approach to Vo Dock (ok, wouldn't have worked in any case) and couldn't switch on the life support in time.

I think I'll have to rethink my approach, though. Back to the drawing board (ok, eddb, pen and paper).

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    Okay, trying to get this thing right is reaching push pin and yarn levels of plotting.
    Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    Back to the drawing board (ok, eddb, pen and paper).
    And then there's me, planning stuff in my usual meticulous way.

In hindsight, taking at least a glancing look at eddb could have been a more sensible approach.

I'd have liked to do a first unlimited run today but the day had to be shared between hospital (no worries, rather good news for once!) and work, barely found the time to return from the Pleiades with a slightly more spiced up Bucket...oh, and also had my first contact with the grumpy flowers on the way back...in a shieldless, unarmed DBX nonetheless...had to buy a new set of underwear as soon as I got back to Vo Dock!

Confession time: I've just finished my mission to deliver 50t of Bromelite to Bill Turner and now find myself at Vo Dock in a regulation Hauler. "What the hell?" I hear you cry, "entering your own race" is a bit of a no no isn't it?". Well yeah but a) this seems like a lot of fun and b) from my practice runs I reckon' I can beat Aken B's score. So, I'm gonna give it a shot BUT I will disqualify myself if I manage to win on that grounds that a) in theory I could have practiced this a lot more than you guys (I haven't ... but I could have), b) I could steal the route being used by others (I won't ... but I could), c) I could cheat because nobody's checking my entry (I won't, but I could).

Switching life support OFF.

P.S. no further race entries to report as yet

Well, if you want to buff out the scoreboard, you can put me down for a DNF on 1245.13 ly in open unlimited. I mean, after all, I made it back to LHS 142 - just not quite to Vo Dock, and I didn't get a screenshot of my exploding Hauler.

Probably do a scouting run for my new course this evening (why are there no 80% mass reduction engineers for the ADS?).

Oh, and anyone got a video about how to do a proper gravity brake maneuver for an outpost that is orbiting less than half a diameter over a low g planetlet?

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    Well, if you want to buff out the scoreboard, you can put me down for a DNF on 1245.13 ly in open unlimited. I mean, after all, I made it back to LHS 142 - just not quite to Vo Dock, and I didn't get a screenshot of my exploding Hauler.

Sheesh you're starting to sound like Mrs Stinja

Submitted my bad run* But not had time to even try another. We've got until Sunday night correct? I'd also like to have a go at the Hauler, but again time...

* got to get my excuses for a poor showing in early
    - brand new to Buckying
    - old
    - feeble
    - playing on console
    - bad internets
    - obscured destinations
    - never flown a hauler in anger
    - <etc>

Afternoon scoreboard update time and, thanks to first time Buckyballer Stinja's stirling effort in his ratDBX the Cool Banana (fully equipped for Fuel Rat duties of course) we now have a qualifying distance in both race classes (not to mention funky new icons because I got bored of waiting for someone to actually submit a time ).

With over a minute and a half remaining he could even have had time to wipe off the front of his refrigerator or oven (other options are available) before landing!

Did my duty as a Buckyballer and submitted an Unlimited run in the Bucket Of Bolts.

Now please excuse me while I go faint in that quiet corner over there.

That Interstellar soundtrack works wonders literally wherever you put it.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast