Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Last Gasp (06.01.3304 - 14.01.3304)

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I just want people to leap into their SRV, hurl themselves off the mountain and use raw skill to make it to the bottom fast and in one piece.
    Skill? Pfft. I don't need skill. I have pure dumb luck on my side. Mostly. Sometimes. When I'm lucky.

... anyone else going to Lavecon this year? (tickets should be on sale any day now).
    after years of threatening to attend i feel this could be the year!

Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post (Source)
    Well (assuming I can get tickets) I'm definitely going so there's that. Probably not running a Buckyball this year (it was great but very time consuming) but I have proposed a couple of other little things I might be running if they'll let me!

Well (assuming I can get tickets) I'm definitely going so there's that. Probably not running a Buckyball this year (it was great but very time consuming) but I have proposed a couple of other little things I might be running if they'll let me!
    I'll probably attend again this year. Might get a LAN seat again too - was actually somewhat nice to have a "home base" to go and have a break at!

Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post (Source)
    G'waaan.

Looks like this was a new and interesting challenge, I would certainly have given it a try if I was home. Congrats to the winners and all surviving competitors! Thanks for a few good laughs while reading the thread, as well as sending me down a rabbit hole of reading about how spacecraft life support systems work which occupied me during a 4 hour car ride last week!

You know what, here's a tip for future Buckyball Race hosts ... do NOT give your racers any potential loopholes (even if they're really only intended as a joke), because they WILL take them.

sigh
    Noted, as I look forward to being a first-time host at the end of the month.

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    Don't know about the next one, but the one after that will have your route predefined for you. Just land at the stations in sequence and finally return to the starting port.

Of course, there will be other complications.
    The next one will be light on pre-race navigation planning, but I do hope to offer some interesting ship building opportunities

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Here's the "extended" full clip of my extremely Last Gasp run in the DBX, with all the approaches and landings (take it as a "brief tutorial at far-from-perfect-but-good-enough gravity manoeuvers" ):

https://youtu.be/YJ5jN--dr7o
    Aken ... that's brilliant, basically the video I would have wanted to make if I'd properly taken part in this race! God that Interstellar soundtrack sends shivers down my spine ... every single damn time I hear it. I think, maybe, best movie soundtrack of all time.

o7

The man in the velvet coat was once again sat in his favourite place at the bar, sipping his first G&T of the day and idly flicking through the latest edition of a new magazine entitled "The Galactic Geologist". In the background the audiocast system was quietly playing the latest Pixel Bandits chat show.

"Anything enteresting Mr B?"

The man had been paying far too much attention to an advert for "Basc Snake Gin" and quickly turned the page.

"Errr, yeah ... some interesting stuff about use of glide mode for terrain searching"

He was just about to take another sip when something from the background audiocast caught his attention.

"Hey Jak, rewind that a bit would you!"

https://soundcloud.com/pixelbandits/...s-podcast-s2-8
    [fast forward to 1hr 32m]

"Nice one Mr B! You must be feeling pretty pleased with yourself"

Bump allowed himself a small smile.

"It was fun Jak, really appreciate your encouragement."

"Think you'll do another?"

"We'll see Jak, we'll see."

THE END (until next time)

Attention race fans!

The thread for the next race (which start this Saturday) is taking shape over here ..

Buckyball-Racing-Club-Presents-The-Medevac-Memorial-Challenge-(27JAN-04FEB)

P.S I just came across a twitchstream from BubbleMapGaming of someone taking a shot at "The Last Gasp" race ..

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/218488673

Don't know if you're here under another name but I just wanted to say thanks for having a go and for streaming it and ... oh my god - that ending!!! (the sound cut out - maybe copyright reasons - what happened? did you forget docking permission?).

I think my favourite quote of the stream was "it's harder than it looks".

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112