Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Last Gasp (06.01.3304 - 14.01.3304)

Originally Posted by Onane View Post (Source)
    Good work <Light & Aken!!! not only flying skills but data base crunching too.
    Oh you can't imagine the database crunching. And neither can I.

Just enabled the Powerplay bubbles view in the galmap, eyeballed the places farthest from LHS 142, searched for viable system in these zones, added some bookmarks and hoped for the best. But I also ate lots of candied ginger in the process, so there was indeed some actual crunching involved.

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    A couple of patches ago. Don't worry, the Asp & Anaconda are still better for long distance travel since they can mount a much bigger fuel scoop than the DBX... at some point quick refuels matter more than a couple extra LY of jump range.
    Cheers.
    I've had a couple of runs with the DBX now and scooping is just painful. Luckily its not that important for this race (or at least my route).

My biggest problem is not knowing where any of the small pads are!!

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)

Just enabled the Powerplay bubbles view in the galmap, eyeballed the places farthest from LHS 142, searched for viable system in these zones, added some bookmarks and hoped for the best. But I also ate lots of candied ginger in the process, so there was indeed some actual crunching involved.
    I can't believe it! you must have a spy camera planted in my PC. Glad to see the 'rock up and race' spirit is alive and kicking. I think i got very lucky as my second eyeball revealed my route which has x systems with the farthest station being a whopping 43Ls from its entry star.

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)

Uh... *looks at his pretty spreadsheet and pages covered with equations and scribbles*

Oh yeah, no, totally, I was just doing these for... fun... seat of the pants is the best. Yeah, that's the buckyball spirit.

Speaking of which, my pants are cold and feel devoid of air...

I'll take one DNF to go please, and send my last regards to the Cosa Nostra pizza company.

This does mean of course that you could simply take off, turn around and fly straight back in again to achieve a score of 750ly but no self respecting Buckyballer would ever do such a thing ... would they?
    Ha! What self-respect?!

Speaking of which, I'm late as usual, but it's time for:

The Last Gasp - A Buckyball Playlist

"Tell me how I'm sposed to breath with no aaaair aaair... no air no air"

Berlin - Take My Breath Away

Runnin' Out Of Air - Love and Theft

Jordin Sparks, Chris Brown - No Air (Official Video) ft. Chris Brown

Deep Purple - Don't Hold Yor Breath (Purpendicular 13 Bonus Track)

Nicole Scherzinger - Don't Hold Your Breath

Tarja Turunen - "Until My Last Breath"

Queen - You Take My Breath Away

New Kids On The Block - Take My Breath Away

Evanescence-My Last Breath

Creed - One Last Breath

Bret Michaels - The Last Breath

Fefe Dobson - Can't Breathe

Faith Hill - "Breathe" (Official Video)

Q-Tip - Breathe And Stop

Andrej Komatović - Running Out of Oxygen

SUBNAUTICA RAP by JT Music - "Don't Hold Your Breath"

Impaled- The Last Gasp

Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post (Source)
    I think i got very lucky as my second eyeball revealed my route which has x systems with the farthest station being a whopping 43Ls from its entry star.
    It's not luck then, just that your eyeball game is stronger than mine!

Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post (Source)
    I can't believe it! you must have a spy camera planted in my PC. Glad to see the 'rock up and race' spirit is alive and kicking. I think i got very lucky as my second eyeball revealed my route which has x systems with the farthest station being a whopping 43Ls from its entry star.
    This all sounds spookily familiar

Be interesting to find out what everyones routes turn out to be.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Uh... *looks at his pretty spreadsheet and pages covered with equations and scribbles*

Oh yeah, no, totally, I was just doing these for... fun... seat of the pants is the best. Yeah, that's the buckyball spirit.

Speaking of which, my pants are cold and feel devoid of air...

I'll take one DNF to go please, and send my last regards to the Cosa Nostra pizza company.

Ha! What self-respect?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzv...ZL&amp;index=2

Berlin - Take My Breath Away

Runnin' Out Of Air - Love and Theft

Jordin Sparks, Chris Brown - No Air (Official Video) ft. Chris Brown

Nicole Scherzinger - Don't Hold Your Breath

Tarja Turunen - "Until My Last Breath"

Queen - You Take My Breath Away

New Kids On The Block - Take My Breath Away

Evanescence-My Last Breath

Creed - One Last Breath

Bret Michaels - The Last Breath

Fefe Dobson - Can't Breathe

Faith Hill - "Breathe" (Official Video)

Q-Tip - Breathe And Stop

Andrej Komatović - Running Out of Oxygen

SUBNAUTICA RAP by JT Music - "Don't Hold Your Breath"

Impaled- The Last Gasp
    You forgot the victory song for a successful run!

Originally Posted by mrdragonraaar View Post (Source)
    This all sounds spookily familiar

Be interesting to find out what everyones routes turn out to be.
    I haven't done a rigorous check but I've definitely been seeing quite a few of the same system names cropping up again and again so at least some of you are flying roughly the same route (what are the odds when you've got the entire civilized galaxy to choose from ... quite high it turns out).

I've had a few more submissions today but I'm short on spare time. Hopefully get at least one update later on. Looks like there's at least one Hauler time in there so thankfully I should be spared the embarassment of having to drop my own time into 2nd place purely to knock Stinja's zero station run off the podium.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Looks like there's at least one Hauler time in there so thankfully I should be spared the embarassment of having to drop my own time into 2nd place purely to knock Stinja's zero station run off the podium.
    oi! That's a legit run, according to the rules, and you were disqualified from entering i'm going to write to the Daily Mail about this travesty of a competition!

Had a go at a regulation run, in the newly christened "Baller Hauler", but it didn't go well... I don't think I'm cut out for this racing milarky.

Assuming I can hold my breath long enough, there'll be at least two Hauler times... All you people in your fancy Diamondbacks. Disgusting.

CMDR: Alot
    Class: Unlimited
    Ship: Hauler, Explodes on Contact

Edit: Well I messed up a bunch of times and still got to the SC drop at Vo before having to turn the life support back on... So, let's try that again.
    Edit: Obscured two jumps in a row. Thanks, orbital mechanics.

Whoops, knew I forgot something...

If I only had 25 minutes left to live I would put on some boxing gloves and go find Bucky; might as well go out with a bang.

OK ladies, gentlemen and others, it's the day #8 scoreboard update.

So, first of all in Unlimited class we have an improved run from MrDragonRaaar who's ditched the Asp in favour of one of these 'ere new fangled DBX things and jumped into 3rd place with a magnificent score of 1454.34ly (16 seconds left on the clock). Bravo sir!

Then we have a new Unlimited class time from Cmdr Stinja who, thanks to the 40ly bonus resulting from his 1m20s of remaining O2, overtakes Cmdr Azzie Elbub with a final score of 1314.24. Congratulations (see? - where would you be without that new rule eh? Last ... that's where!)

Then we have the Hauler class.

You know what, here's a tip for future Buckyball Race hosts ... do NOT give your racers any potential loopholes (even if they're really only intended as a joke), because they WILL take them.

sigh

So, our new Hauler entry turned out to be from Cmdr Bruski who's been spending his time trying trying to do the zero station run (you know, the one I jokingly mentioned as an example of the lowest theoretical qualifying distance, the one no self respecting Buckyballer would ever actually do!!) and do it faster than Cmdr Stinja. Well Bra-frickin'-Vo(dock) sir, you've managed to go nowhere with 24m42s of O2 remaining and have therefore jumped ahead of Cmdr Stinja.

Oh, and one more for the FAQ ..

Q) Does one have to turn off the life support before exiting the station?
    A) Yes
    Q) But it seemed impossible to do a 750 point attempt without triggering it later?
    A) Yes, it is impossible to actually get a 750 point run without flying anywhere ... so sue me!

All I can say is thank god for Cmdr Turec Alner. I don't think we've seen this plucky new commander around here before (certainly don't recall anyone else wearing a massive false beard with comedy glasses and plastic nose attachment). Anyway, Cmdr Alner has managed to complete a proper Hauler run covering 838.26ly with 54s left on the clock for a final score of 865.26 and has thereby saved the honour of the Hauler class podium (although he asked me to pass on his apologies to Penny Umbra whom he feels has been somewhat robbed of her rightful 2nd place position and will gladly concede the silver medal if these times are still standing at the end of the race).

The only other thing to announce at this stage is a red "Very Last Gasp" trophy for commander Bruski. Although I'm not 100% positive that he didn't make it back to Vo in the 0:00 seconds remaining, short of an improbable rescue by the Heart Of Gold, it seemed highly likely.

Fly Fast commanders!

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzv...ZL&amp;index=2

Well, at least you put in a bit Deep Purple, otherwise I'd have to complain about Millenials.

But how could you miss:

- Pink Floyd: Breathe

- Jean-Michel Jarre: Oxygene

Ya know what, this is fun... I think Ms Umbra has named her ship well - in for a penny, in for a pound.

CMDR Alot
    Regulation Hauler
    Foregone Peterson

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)

You know what, here's a tip for future Buckyball Race hosts ... do NOT give your racers any potential loopholes (even if they're really only intended as a joke), because they WILL take them.

sigh
    no point properly submitting my silly time seeing as Bruski has pipped it by 1second! i'll get concentrating on a Hauler route. now where did i leave my set square, string, protractor and .... nah dash that. Strap in and boost!

Well, I have something that might possibly work as a route, so here goes...

Cmdr Samwell Drakhyr
    Regulation Hauler
    Shirley Knot

If I only had 25 minutes left to live, I would... have done something seriously wrong.
    If I only had 25 minutes left to live, I would... make it seem a lot longer with the aid of MOTRONA EXPERIENCE JELLY.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast