Page 55 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 825 of 2596

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Mode switching for missions and Smeaton Orbital [200mill/hour]

  1. #811
    Originally Posted by Kubicide View Post (Source)
    Yeah and I'd take this first part a step further and ask even if the systems are flipping quicker what's the net effect? Ego's get hurt in those player groups that 'own' a system maybe? What else? Trivial IMO.




    The bigger surprise here is that lack of response by FDev. Once upon a time, cash-grabs like this would be shut down in days (anyone remember rare's being clamped down ASAP - how about the 'seeking luxury' trade ships - and they were generating much less income per hour).


    Once upon a time, severely imbalanced and/or over-powered things would be shut down within days. Nowadays, FDev do not react at all or react months later. What message does that send to the community? It could be "we don't care that much anymore about Elite because we're busy utilizing our resources on other projects". Or it could mean something else. But we do not know. No 'tin-foil hat' or doom'n'gloom thought at all. Simple facts. FDev no longer invest the time and attention into this game like they once did. Fact.




    So until FDev decides to react - or not - rack up the credits everyone! Don't complain. Simply be happy for the easy 'money'.
    There's more people working on ED than ever so it takes longer to shut these down.

  2. #812
    Originally Posted by jasonbirder View Post (Source)
    I understand your point about the 3/hour...but if you factor in time taken to find a crash site or installation etc...then that cr/hr would come way down....potentially to zero if you're not successful in your search...
    You could use that reasoning with anything in this game though. Obviously that estimate is based on you knowing where to go.

  3. #813
    A couple of points from my perspective....

    1) FDev expect players to use external tools (forum, sound analysers, excel, api's etc) to play their game and have said as much on several occasions. Looking up the location of something on a website is considered normal game play and I doubt any of the mysteries would have been solved without this. This is also how it works in the real world. 'Someone finds something and tells other people who go look.'

    2) It is possible to make ~100mil/hr doing the Smeaton run without board flipping. I personally tried this to see if it was possible as I'm not big on exploiting the game mechanics. If you travel around the adjacent systems for an hour "picking up passengers" then you can usually find sufficient travellers without needing to exploit the boards. This makes it a legitimate (if boring) method of making credits based on the rules of the passenger system (+distance = credit increase).

  4. #814
    Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    The problem is for me (and i am biased because that kind of gameplay does nothing for me) that kind of gameplay flies in the face of the kind of game I felt ED was ptiched as being. what insurance company in the universe would happily fork out new ships willy nilly just taking 4-5% insurance excess from their clients.

    to some who play the game, questions like "why would insurance companies put up with this" or "why would the number of passengers prepared to pay may 100s of times more than the value of the actual ship they are travelling in, in totally safe space be never ending" is a non issue, because its a space pew pew game... who cares.
    Because no thought was put into the design of the game at the beginning. It's ridiculous that you have to Engineer mods that are "unique" and yet your insurance company has an unlimited supply of them. That you can telepresence in an instant across the galaxy but somehow, prices between you and the next system are impossible.

    ED uses way too many "reasons" and we are left with a nonsensical universe to work with. AI that can out lightyear jump you when you have an Asp and they have a viper. emergency Life support systems that give the same amount of air and yet can weigh 100 tons difference. AI that magically spawn in front of you... I mean the list is almost endless where minimal effort has been put in and you're left with "reasons" - no great game ever suffered from "reasons".

  5. #815
    Most of the big "trade" payouts can be identified using the galaxy map and searching system states....orbital distances etc...the thargoid sites were simple planetary searches...which is just legwork...

  6. #816
    45 m/h is what you can get in post nerf Rhea

    About Upsilon Aquarii it is true that while you get Allied with those factions you don't get many missions and it is very hard to get sometimes full "big 3" ship of passangers before timer on issions start to get very short , but as i said before just get Python and go to nearby LTT (some numbers ) with 2 outposts in it ~1800 ls from star .

    Only cordial status required , if you are Elite in trading it takes 15 minutes (sometimes 20 if you are not lucky) to get full Python of passengers and get 120-140 mil out of it

  7. #817
    Originally Posted by Obsidian Ant View Post (Source)
    This is easily the best post in this thread!

    As you say, 40 hours is a very long time - even by MMO standards that is a big time investment in a single activity. I agree that in terms of "end-game" this feels just about right.

    It's nice to see someone posting facts based upon information they have gathered, as opposed to just theorycrafting and posting their feelings and "concerns".

    EDIT: That said you will probably earn at a slightly higher rate once you have all those factions allied.
    I think that The discussion was more about the ethics of logging in and out of the game to refresh the boards rather than appropriate credit/hour activity. Is mode switching to accelerate refresh good for the game as a whole? Is it an exploitable game design that should be fixed? Can it even be fixed? Did the devs indend mode switching to be a way of increasing earnings or is it just something players discovered? Can it impact BGS or other player activity? There were some pretty good examples of how a flood of lone wolf commanders could certainly create bgs abberations. I could see how a player group would be frustrated if they were working a system that became the new mode switch cash cow...

  8. #818
    I think "the ethics of board switching" simply reduces to the same question though...how many cr/hr do you want to make....
    If an insane level of cr/hr is where you feel the reward should be pitched...then switching the game off, restarting, switching off, restarting, switching off, restarting...is a genuine FDev intended game mechanic...I think the internal logic is...logging out to desktop and logging back in (in the absence of spacelegs) accurately represents negotiating with different patrons....
    If you feel that a lower level of credits per hour then obviously a quick CTRL ALT DEL mid session...DOESN'T feel like an intended in game activity...
    So board flipping is moot...it's about cr/hr...as no doubt if there were some other "gamey" mechanism for increasing payouts (pressing Right Up Down Left Left Up on the arrow keys for example) would be all the rage too!

  9. #819
    Originally Posted by CMDR Dreamstate View Post (Source)
    I would just like to add that the OP is over-reacting at 200/mil per hour.

    I've spent the past 5 days doing these economy missions - 8 hours average per day - so to sum it up:

    Time spent: 40 hours

    Credits earned: 1,950,000,000cr

    Average hourly earnings: 1,950,000,000 / 40 = 48,750,000cr p/h

    In that time, I've only managed to get 3 factions Allied, 2 Friendly, and 1 Cordial.

    Most of the time I still have some cabin space left because of time restraints, some of the time I get scanned and my missions fail (despite silent running / heat sinks), or time runs out and the mission reward is deducted by the passengers, and I have to put up with regular interdictions.

    All in all, the credits per hour feels right for an end-game player like myself:

    Combat: 47% Dangerous
    Trade: Elite
    Exploration: Elite


    Yes, board hopping between Open/Solo/Private did or did not help - sometimes it's all down to RNG. I regularly found that I had no missions to accept for between 30-45 minutes despite board hopping. If I was lucky, both Open and Solo filled the majority of my cabins. A vast amount of systems fill the boards far more easily than the ones going to the other system to travel for ages.

    These feel balanced for end-game and for my ranks, on a personal level. This allows me to buy all the low-mid range ships I haven't had the chance to try yet and will allow me to fully deck out a high-end ship - and afford rebuys.

    I do not see a problem with these missions at all, and 40 hours is a considerable amount of time playing the game (doing nothing = boring). It isn't fantastic, it's a grind, but it is worth my time.

    Ship used: Anaconda (all economy cabins except 1x 4 slot cargo rack for mission hand-ins to throw away reward cargo).
    I have to agree - what I actually found wasn't close to 200 mill per hour.

    I'm going on two years of playing once or twice a week, and very close to being Elite in both Trade and Exploration, but my best run was 25 million. Most other runs around 10-15 mill per hour.

    Now I was not allied with the local factions, and I didn't hop to all the stations in the local area to grab missions, so that could have made the difference.

    But, after a few fours I found I didn't enjoy the 10 minutes of work then 40 minutes of nothing... it just feels more productive to grind 7mill per 25 minutes running between Ceos and Sothis Mining when I'm exercising on the treadmill.

    I do have to agree with others who state that Elite ranked players making 50 mill an hour is not excessive, especially when their ships cost ten times that.

    End Game players (Elite) should be able to buy another well outfitted End Game ship every ten or so hours of gameplay imho.

  10. #820
    Originally Posted by Greylock View Post (Source)
    I have to agree - what I actually found wasn't close to 200 mill per hour.

    I'm going on two years of playing once or twice a week, and very close to being Elite in both Trade and Exploration, but my best run was 25 million. Most other runs around 10-15 mill per hour.

    Now I was not allied with the local factions, and I didn't hop to all the stations in the local area to grab missions, so that could have made the difference.

    But, after a few fours I found I didn't enjoy the 10 minutes of work then 40 minutes of nothing... it just feels more productive to grind 7mill per 25 minutes running between Ceos and Sothis Mining when I'm exercising on the treadmill.

    I do have to agree with others who state that Elite ranked players making 50 mill an hour is not excessive, especially when their ships cost ten times that.

    End Game players (Elite) should be able to buy another well outfitted End Game ship every ten or so hours of gameplay imho.
    I wouldn't say this requires a player to be in the "end game" but it depends how you define end game.

    You can make 100mil/hr without using the "big 3" ships. A beluga with the minimum spec required could do this run and cost less than 100mil to buy which you will then make that back on the first run. To me "end game" is having billions and buying three cutters because you like having them in different colours.

    I do however agree that it is boring, at least for me. I did this to tick the box (I try to do everything at least once for the experience) and whilst I was working on something else out of the game.

    It is also pretty safe if you are reasonable at avoiding the one or two interdictions that come with the missions.
    I actually left the room for 20mins on one trip once I was in cruise and I had two vipers in chase. They simply can't interdict until you back off the throttle at the far end.

  11. #821
    Originally Posted by Rennard View Post (Source)
    I wouldn't say this requires a player to be in the "end game" but it depends how you define end game.

    You can make 100mil/hr without using the "big 3" ships. A beluga with the minimum spec required could do this run and cost less than 100mil to buy which you will then make that back on the first run. To me "end game" is having billions and buying three cutters because you like having them in different colours.

    I do however agree that it is boring, at least for me. I did this to tick the box (I try to do everything at least once for the experience) and whilst I was working on something else out of the game.

    It is also pretty safe if you are reasonable at avoiding the one or two interdictions that come with the missions.
    I actually left the room for 20mins on one trip once I was in cruise and I had two vipers in chase. They simply can't interdict until you back off the throttle at the far end.
    I get the impression that the (reward per passenger / time) is in-line with other long-range, but shorter, passenger missions. Almost as if there is an algorithm. (Probably non-linear, with further being disproportionately better.).
    Agree that this one is super-boring. Except the interdictions - which I also submit.
    Many of the comments here seem to be based on the payout at the end. 200 million is an edge case, I suspect. I got half that.

  12. #822
    Originally Posted by Red Fox Four View Post (Source)
    I questioned these money-printing runs when it became clear that doing these runs completely devalues all other forms of earning money in the game.

    When you can earn around 3 million PER MINUTE from these Smeaton runs you really have to ask yourself what is the point of shooting an asteroid for an hour when in the same hour you can make a profit that is several magnitudes larger?
    If you're playing the game with the sole intention of earning credits. then you're missing out on all the other things the game has to offer.

    If you're in a rush to get a titan ship and a billion credits this system is the fast way to that goal but... once you have a billion credits and a few titan ships, what do you do then?

    Get involved in a player faction, make some in game friends, help with BGS, do some exploring, blow up some ships, do some pirating.

    There's lots to do, earning credits is a means to an end, not a goal in and of itself.

    Personally, if I'm in a combat zone, I'm not there for credits/hour; I'm there for the influence effect it has to the minor factions. (or collecting engineering materials/data)

  13. #823
    So I have realised that the only real issue I have with this topic is that the proceeds contribute to your ranking. Elite just doesn't mean anything anymore.

  14. #824
    Is it just me or is it damn hard to stack passengers going to Smeaton Orbital? They seem to be pretty rare even switching modes.

  15. #825
    Originally Posted by Coccolino View Post (Source)
    Is it just me or is it damn hard to stack passengers going to Smeaton Orbital? They seem to be pretty rare even switching modes.
    They have always been rare, with Neutral there are basically none, Cordial and Friendly few, Allied some. Hence the need for board flipping to fill the passenger cabins of anything larger than an ASP.

    When I was doing it I could often flip boards 3-4 times and see 1-2 total and that was with 2 Allied and everyone else Friendly.