Page 63 of 174 FirstFirst ... 5359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Mode switching for missions and Smeaton Orbital [200mill/hour]

Originally Posted by optiplex View Post (Source)
    You hit the nail on the head there, i would like an answer for that from our resident nerfers as well
    Personally I just want a robust economy which promotes verisimilitude (which is not the same as 100% accurate). Personally I do not care how much anyone else earns but I want to try as hard as I can to earn as much money as I can but the game to make it HARD for me to do so. Alas this is a problem with forced MP games all in the same pot. IF I was configuring the game I would have it on fairly hard economy, very strict crime and punishment, but with zero PvP and all coop between PF member's.

I assume others want different.

ED with never be exactly what I want but I reserve the right to continue to ask for the economy we were sold by DB etc in Dev diaries

Originally Posted by Will Flanagan View Post (Source)
    Hello commanders,

As some of you are aware, Passenger Bulk missions are currently generating extremely high credit rewards that we feel are excessive of what we would consider reasonable and balanced.

After a detailed investigation, we can confirm that this is due to an element in our mission generation algorithm that rewards credits based on the distance of the destination system from the star.

Due to this, we will be disabling (until further notice) the aforementioned element of Passenger Bulk missions to reduce the amount of credits offered as a reward. Commanders will still be able to select and complete Passenger Bulk missions, but will see less excessive credit rewards.

In the meantime, we will be reviewing the Passenger Bulk missions and correct the previously mentioned element – hopefully in time for you to test in the Beyond Chapter One beta.

Thanks to all the players who reported the issue.

Ok now i will be serious

Problems

1. economy class is way more profitable than other types of passengers

2. missions to system nearby are bad design. Yes i understand that some passengers want to go somwhere further but most of the time they are problematic , criminals , druga ddicts, they don't like scans etc and still pay not enough for all the troubles.

3. missions that spawn constantly to system X are bad design , you go to one system and soon enough you know where everyone is going

4. lack of any storage and ability to pick a cargo/passengers after set amount of time . I need to take them now or contract is lost .

Solutions

1. Do i have to explain this?

2. & 3. & 4. I come to system and see passengers that want to go to Oracle , for example 20 security workers they pay 1 mil each and destination is 300 ly away. I was already planing to go to Pleiades so i might go there earlier but i am not in my travel ship , station don't offer cabins . So i accept contract and have 30 minutes to pick them up , i go take my ship, pack my gear take them and go make money do my usual stuff in Pleiades and pack some refugees from there on my way back .

What does it change? No more sheidless 200 passengers behemoths not jumping more than 10 ly , i could just check mission/passenger boards maybe someone wants to go somwhere near where i go . In current system i either go and do passenger mission or don't give a **** about those .

Why ability to pick cargo after some time ? I could simply accept cargo mission , passenger mission , data delivery mission and something else , prepare ship and just go , if i fail to pick cargo in set amount of time i lose reputation i pay fine , and free whiping . System is useful, intuitive and i might just check mission board/passenger board for cargo while i prepare my 250 ly trip to an engineer . In current state why bother if i already know that i am not finding anything

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    Good day to you sir. I represent the association of forum whingers and busybodies. We would like to make this offering of salt as compensation for your troubles.

http://www.greekboston.com/wp-conten...essolonghi.png

Far too sensible.
    This must of been planned for some time.
    We just got a big delivery here too.

http://fox6now.com/2018/01/17/port-m...-from-ontario/

Originally Posted by Ian Doncaster View Post (Source)
    As pointed out repeatedly in this thread, while Smeaton required mode switching,
    This is objectively false.
    This is me going to Smeaton last night.

I don't board flip.
    I *can't* board flip right now in fact, as I'm on PS4 and my PS+ is currently lapsed.

So is it the board flipping that's the problem with people or is it the payout?
    Because they are different things, and one doesn't need to do the former to receive the latter.
    Based on many peoples' posts it's often diminished returns to sit and board flip.
    After all, the missions have timers.

Could refactor the reward bonus from distance by using a table with thresholds for the distance that apply a factor to the reward once reached instead of using a single function that calculates the rewards in an ever escalating manner.

For example you place a threshold every digit (i.e. 100, 1000, 10000, ..., 1000000), checks which threshold it reaches, picks the distance factor assigned to the threshold and then multiplies it with the base reward. Like this you have full control over how far rewards can escalate and even apply a penalty for short distances.

Originally Posted by zantar View Post (Source)
    This must of been planned for some time.
    We just got a big delivery here too.

http://fox6now.com/2018/01/17/port-m...-from-ontario/
    I heard FD were moving headquarters, but didn't know it was to Ontario!

Hello commanders,

As some of you are aware, Passenger Bulk missions are currently generating extremely high credit rewards that we feel are excessive of what we would consider reasonable and balanced.

After a detailed investigation, we can confirm that this is due to an element in our mission generation algorithm that rewards credits based on the distance of the destination system from the star.

Due to this, we will be disabling (until further notice) the aforementioned element of Passenger Bulk missions to reduce the amount of credits offered as a reward. Commanders will still be able to select and complete Passenger Bulk missions, but will see less excessive credit rewards.

In the meantime, we will be reviewing the Passenger Bulk missions and correct the previously mentioned element hopefully in time for you to test in the Beyond Chapter One beta.

Of course it is.... That was never really in question. In fact, it was already nerfed once before.

Credit cows will remain, because of the variety of the bubble (and galaxy as a whole). Being ferried 1.8M Ls should be rewarded, for the time put in. And if any fix is just to put a limit on the top end, you run the risk of nerfing passenger missions across the board, for shorter distances.

What is even the problem here? Excessive? What is excessive? 200M/cr per run in a conda too much? 100M? 50M?

Credit inflation has got to a point where Smeaton missions become the way to tap cash to play the game the way you want to. What is it with people saying that board hopping is bad, that Smeaton is an exploit. Really? I don't understand the problem....

Oooooh you might say, people will skip content, might miss the fun of the small ship. But don't forget the game has a lot more content. When I started the game, there was a lot less to do, no engineering, etc. What is the problem if people "catch up" through these credit cows?

And they've always been there. Another one will pop up...

Originally Posted by Bob Lighthouse View Post (Source)
    This is objectively false.
    This is me going to Smeaton last night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUNmpEtVoAAnFxY.jpg:large

I don't board flip.
    I *can't* board flip right now in fact, as I'm on PS4 and my PS+ is currently lapsed.

So is it the board flipping that's the problem with people or is it the payout?
    Because they are different things, and one deoesn't need to do the former to receive the latter.
    Based on many peoples' posts it's often diminished returns to sit and board flip.
    After all, the missions have timers.
    That was last night, try it now after the fix.

Funny stuff

You all go ahead and keep arguing

I've got passengers waiting to get to their destination

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    I heard FD were moving headquarters, but didn't know it was to Ontario!
    Branch office?

Originally Posted by frostypaw View Post (Source)
    About time - how many billions were earnt using this? Will they be taken back so next time such an issue arises CMDRs have a motivation to report rather than hammer the hell out of it for as long as possible until you act?
    This was reported day 1. They pushed a fix. The fix didn't go far enough and has persisted in this stated for nearly 4 months.

But this isn't the 1st time FDev have failed to appropriately balance income.

Rares were hopelessly unbalanced when they were introduced, Seeking luxuries were broken as all hell, Robigo, Sothis, Ceos and now long distance passenger missions all took far too long to be resolved. No credit balances were ever rolled back and I doubt they'll be rolled back now either.

Originally Posted by Bryan K View Post (Source)
    His response was perfectly reasonable
    This one?

Just out of curiosity when will you be happy with how other people play Elite? Do you have a figure on how much credits we can have or earn per day?
    Yeah. That's totally mature. Now he's bleating on about a "crusade" when that was pretty much my first post in this thread - what possible response is there but to laugh? It's hilarious.

---

Originally Posted by mojonaut View Post (Source)
    Said the 'Haves' to the 'Have nots'........... which is all this boils down to in the end.
    I'm not a "have" - maybe try again?

Originally Posted by zantar View Post (Source)
    That was last night, try it now after the fix.

That misses my point entirely.
    Smeaton never *required* any board flipping at all.
    I made a lot of Cr without ever doing so, and my hold was always pretty full.

Originally Posted by Loskene View Post (Source)
    If mode switching is such a problem (and it seems to show up as a core component of every moneymaking activity of the week so far) why do they not just unify the mission board results between modes? I've never got why exactly the station offers you 3 different mission board sets depending on whether you're playing with others or not.
    Crazy talk, that involves coding effort and planning.

Hello commanders,

In the meantime, we will be reviewing the Passenger Bulk missions and correct the previously mentioned element hopefully in time for you to test in the Beyond Chapter One beta.

Really nice how you can address that but can't do anything about mission timers that take 30 mins off the posted time on the board as soon as you take one.

"Sorry guys, we designed it that way, but didn't know what we were doing... we didn't really mean to do that."

So it goes

Great work