Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Rescue Operation in HIP 17692

Coolest thing i did today, by coincidence i went to Pleiades sector hr-w d1-57 to check in cleaver prospect station for a new ship. Just a bit outside there was a "green ship"of sorts kinda like the tankers and stuff you see everywhere around the maia systems. So i checked it out and there was a Thargoid attacking the ship (the ship was still intact but covered in a green cloud', so i went in and checked for escape pods. To cut this short, i managed to recuperate an occupied escape pod from under the nose of that big Thargoid and save the entity inside. At least i like to think i did . Best feeling ever.

Originally Posted by TheLawful View Post (Source)
    Well, I can't come up with a complete build right now (as I'm at work), but my Python is basically a stock build (well, mine is A-rated and engineered, but that doesn't make any difference here). I run a size 5 and a size 3 limpet controller and 3 Ram Tah-engineered heat sinks that have 3 instead of 2 charges, but you can also fit 4 stock ones. Heat sinks are the key element in any rescue collection mission from burning stations, as you will constantly fire them and the more you have, the longer you can stay inside. Plus, the more limpets you run, the faster you collect. All the rest of my optional slots are filled with Economy passenger cabins plus 2 cargo racks that allow for 96t cargo which is more than sufficient. Usually, I take 30-35 limpets with me and found that to be optimal. And that's just it. The Python is rather well-suited for going into burning starports, for it's rather nimble, can turn on a dime, is easy to land (not needed for collecting pods, no DC landing here btw) and can leave the station hassle-free, so you can reliably stay until your last heatsink, but you can use other ships as well, ofc. 64t cargo space are about the minimum to be effective IMHO, initially I had 32t but then ran out of cargo space quite soon or could not take enough limpets. Note I also do passenger rescues quite a lot, for these, you would optimize for passenger capacity and require only 2-3 heatsink charges. For the CG, I simply replaced one of the size 6 cabins with a cargo rack.
    Ah, I hadn't thought about Engineering the HS modules. Not a bad idea ...

For the CG, I would recommend going to Obsidian Orbital, for it's much closer to the sun than Reed's Rest and rather spacy, plus there's no red haze inside and the debris is limited. Furthermore, Sirius is in lockdown state, so the Merope rescue ship has no outfitting.
    Yup, that's where I was. I got a handful or so but it'll need some repeat runs to get better at it.

Oh, and an important detail is the Chromed paintjob ofc, I'm sure it reflects the heat much more efficiently
    I'm sure it's very helpful.

Originally Posted by Alderius View Post (Source)
    I'm using my miltipurpose Anaconda for SAR operations at Reeds Rest, all utility points are heat sinks, size 7 cargo bay, 3 x 3A limpet controllers for 6 limpets, the rest economy cabins. I cruise into the middle of the station and launch all of the collectors and let them grab everything, I can easily get all of the salvage before the loiter timeout and then land, pick up passengers. Off to the rescue ship, complete passenger missions, sell salvage I don't need to the SAR contact, re equip and repeat. I didn't check (only had time for one round), but I probably have 20t or so of CG salvage in the one go, plus the passeneger missions added up to about $1M. Hope to fill up with CG salvage tonight before handing it in. My only worry is getting hyperdicted, it happened on my way to Merope last night, if I get caught with 100t + of pods etc in my non combat Annie it could get pretty ugly.......
    Hmm, maybe I ought to go grab my 'Conda for this then. It's just been sitting, mostly neglected, since I picked up my Cutter. I've been planning on doing SAR for the rank anyhow and having more room for cabins sounds like a great idea.

Oh, and an important detail is the Chromed paintjob ofc, I'm sure it reflects the heat much more efficiently
    It's got to be at least as helpful as my Tactical Ice.

I hit top 10% with only 51 T, gotta raise those Tiers!

I had 5 last night and that put me in the top 50%. I grabbed my 'Conda and engineered 4 HSs to 3 charges each. That let me drop off another 13 for a total of 18. Now I'm in the Top 25%. I'll keep making runs, this si kind of a fun change.

Edit to add: For anyone doing this that's new like me, disable every single module you don't need including your FSD before requesting to dock with the burning station. That'll give you a solid chunk of extra heat capacity. It takes a little longer to warp out after but that's a small price to pay for an extra buffer.

Originally Posted by blastard View Post (Source)
    Lol - I tried that with a quick 'snatch' job. The Thargoid showed me to the rebuy screen in 15 seconds and I lost all my cargo of pods and bb's -
    Should have run really......
    B
    I think snatching from Thargoids should be approached in the same way as mining is, that is with nothing valuable in your holds.

I am doing this side of the CGs in my fast Orca which has, touch wood (taps self on head), out run all trouble so far.

Originally Posted by Nilt View Post (Source)
    For anyone doing this that's new like me, disable every single module you don't need including your FSD before requesting to dock with the burning station. That'll give you a solid chunk of extra heat capacity. It takes a little longer to warp out after but that's a small price to pay for an extra buffer.
    Excellent tip, I will look into doing that.

Tier 2.8/3
    Global Progress 23,553 Tonnes (Looks like 25,000 for tier 3)
    Contributors 1,630

72 Tonnes is in Top 10%

Originally Posted by aRJay View Post (Source)
    Looks like 25,000 for tier 3
    Not quite. It's at 27k and change. I'm guessing 30,000 maybe? Could be 35,000 ... difficult to tell when it gets this close. The early tiers are pretty compressed.

Originally Posted by aRJay View Post (Source)
    (Looks like 25,000 for tier 3)
    Currently 26,968T total, just a hairline away from Tier 3. Maybe closer to 28K? Approx 140T so far for me. Food break, then back to the grind.

EDIT: Looks to be Tier 3 = 30k, that hairline is gone but the T3 level hasn't highlighted yet, @ 28.5k total

Originally Posted by ChipStar65 View Post (Source)
    Currently 26,968T total, just a hairline away from Tier 3. Maybe closer to 28K? Approx 140T so far for me. Food break, then back to the grind.

EDIT: Looks to be Tier 3 = 30k, that hairline is gone but the T3 level hasn't highlighted yet, @ 29.5k total
    Odd, I'm showing 28,805 total at the moment. I just broke the top 10 CMDRs, though, with 242 tons for those who want to know roughly where that is.

My bad, typo, total at that last report was 28.5, corrected.

I may hit top ten if I don't sleep lol. Just laid in the gear to run 4 limpets at once, it's not quadrupling my collection rate but it is speeding it up.

Tier 3! Whoo!

Edited to add this for a reply rather than another post:

Originally Posted by ChipStar65 View Post (Source)
    My bad, typo, total at that last report was 28.5, corrected.
    I thought I was having an odd issue for a moment there.

I may hit top ten if I don't sleep lol. Just laid in the gear to run 4 limpets at once, it's not quadrupling my collection rate but it is speeding it up.
    Yeah, I have 4 on my 'Conda, 2 5As and 2 3As. I tinkered with just using 2 but there was definitely a slowdown. I could do the CG faster if I weren't also hauling passengers to the rescue ship but that's so quick it just makes sense to do. I'm doing this mostly for rank anyhow art the moment. I need the darned 'Vette to complete my set!

I put on (2) 3D Collector Controllers as they can run 2 limpets each, makes Fire Groups a lot simpler. Just doing the odd collection job for Obsidian Orbital Rescue Ship has paid for them twice over

BTW, what rank-ups does SAR give? This is my first CG doing that.

It's ok guys, you can stop collecting people now, I've finished the CG for us...

But seriously, has anyone else hit this bug? I can only hand in 80-120 odd pieces of S&R salvage before the game stops me handing in any more. I leave the S&R contact, come back and it just doesn't let me hand in any more. Only way around it is to go to the galaxy/system map and back, or some other function that "leaves" the station interface. I have a video of it and am about to submit a bug report, but it's, well, bizzare. Even the button at the bottom changes from "Hand in" to "Hand in and complete goal"... some unfinished gameplay?

Anyways, kicking goals so far...

2 a.m. here, 1.14 mil on last haul (124T), 279T total for -- ta-daaaa -- bottom of Top 10! Prolly only last a few hours though, have to recover it in the mornin' I suppose. Fly smart, Commanders, over and out.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast