Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Could the future of Elite included a full Galaxy reset?

Originally Posted by Kayweg View Post (Source)
    I will make this short and blunt.
    No drama, no gripe, no salt, just the fact:
    I would stop playing and uninstall.
    Shorter: This!

Even if FD reset everything, there would be a new exploit discovered within a week or two. If no exploits could be found (which would be very surprising) then the reviews would be massively negative about "the grind", the game would get Steam review bombed. The forums and reddit would be a massive whinefest. Eventually the gaming press would pick up on it as well.

Those who want quick credits will always find ways. Look at GTA5, which does its best to keep currency gain low and focus players where they want them to focus with their 2x $$$ events. Gets people buying shark cards and keeps people playing and interested. And yet, there is one guy (well, at least one) who every week puts out videos of how to get the most cash out of GTA5 and has a clan setup where hey help each other gain more cash.

Then we can also look at an example from my own experience, where on our game server we considered a reset as well to make changes to balance the economy. A lot of people said if we did it they would quit playing. Many others said they wouldn't quit but would be very upset, and a minority said they would be ok with it. After reviewing the feedback we decided it was not a good idea, and trust me, as a dev i'm usually not one to pay much attention to what players say - bunch of useless ingrates

Basically, resets after launch are a bad idea and in the long run don't actually solve anything. Give it a few weeks or months, and people will be back where they were, but perhaps less of them and many annoyed at having to get all their stuff back.

Do you remember the business about the possibility of a reset between gamma and launch? Oh boy, the forums were on fire over that, and that was expected. Some people wiped their accounts before launch expecting a reset anyway... must admit, that gave me a chuckle when they didn't. And remember, that was about a pre-launch reset, which is totally normal.

There will, of course, be a "full reset" of the Elite universe... when Elite V comes out. Which will presumably be several years after ED (Elite IV) is finally closed down, whenever that happens.

Originally Posted by Powderpanic View Post (Source)
    I think most can agree that the ability to make a billion + credits in an incredibly short amount of time is a little game breaking.

Sadly this is pretty common place now and with all the credit exploits in the past, I would suggest a vast majority of players have more credits than they know what to do with.

Clearly from the reactions to any posts that ask for persistent things for groups to spend their near unlimited resources on. Bases and such aren't going to happen. There is a glimmer of hope with Fleet Carriers I guess but I expect it will be tailored so that anyone can have one, because otherwise solo and private is going to rage.

Where am I going with this?

Simple, early game launch before everyone worked out the bounty hunting exploit, was the best game play this game has had.
    Everything felt very real and hard fought. Even with the early bugs, the game just seemed to work better.

Moving from a sidewinder to a Cobra was a real deal! Let alone finally managing to A rate the thing.

I remember having buying an Asp and then spending the next month making money with my Cobra to fit it out.
    Owning a Python at that point, let alone a Conda seemed a life time away. And that was awesome!

Pirating in my Asp for months and then having enough to move to a badly spec'd Clipper was a huge achievement.

Now you have people in A Rated Conda's after a week of doing very little "work" .

Most old missions paid badly ( except assignation missions which paid 200k and you couldn't stack them), so early credits were made from trade, pirating rares and bounty hunting in res sites. Even the rewards from an extended exploration gave a recent relative rewards. Mining sucked!
    It was much harder and that was a good thing!

So giving that FDEV say they are going to go back and fix the core game play ( hopefully including RNGineers ).
    Which I hope will include the credit exploits.
    It is going to leave a game full of the have and have nots.
    New players will hopefully have to work and learn how to make ends meet like the lucky early gamer's did, the others will be rolling around in Gold Plated Cutters with 100+ rebuys.

Open already is a no go area until you are engineered.

Would a full reset on the new improved version of ED be an option?

I know it wouldn't be popular with some rich players but it would have to be a good thing for the game, right?

Maybe leave discovery's by explorers.

TLDR Credits these days are mostly worthless. A full reset for fix that issue.
    This subject rears its head every now and again.

No.

Originally Posted by DeVaStAtOr View Post (Source)
    This subject rears its head every now and again.
    It's the 'plopping' sound as said head is extracted from its 'storage' place that gives it away!

6. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #51
    Would a full reset on the new improved version of ED be an option?
    No.

Could the future of Elite included a full Galaxy reset?
    No.

If commanders want to reset/clear their save, they can very well do that. We've no plans at last check on an enforced game-wide reset.

Originally Posted by Sapyx View Post (Source)
    There will, of course, be a "full reset" of the Elite universe... when Elite V comes out. Which will presumably be several years after ED (Elite IV) is finally closed down, whenever that happens.
    What would you say if I said I believe that in this case (new game, v5) they would keep the galaxy from ED with all discoveries intact. There would be no reason not to, there are enough things to discover that every single player could tag something if they wanted to, even if everyone in the entire world played 10 hours a day for 50 years.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    No.

No.

If commanders want to reset/clear their save, they can very well do that. We've no plans at last check on an enforced game-wide reset.
    /thread

No.

No.
    Why? It will be quite funny

Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius View Post (Source)
    While it wouldn't bother me, I fail to see the humour in it.

11. This is the last staff post in this thread. #56
    Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius View Post (Source)
    Funny for some, wouldn't be as funny for me and others on the receiving end of it.

But you're more than happy to try to enforce as much 'no non-consensual pvp' mechanics onto players who bought the game on the premise of player on player combat/piracy as you can, right?

Originally Posted by Goose4291 View Post (Source)
    But you're more than happy to try to enforce as much 'no non-consensual pvp' mechanics onto players who bought the game on the premise of player on player combat/piracy as you can, right?
    I think others in this thread also mentioned MMO

Obvious troll thread is now even more obvious.

Originally Posted by GreyAreaUK View Post (Source)
    Obvious troll thread is now even more obvious.
    you expected anything else?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast