Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: Frameshift 2.0?

Originally Posted by krylite View Post (Source)
    I wouldn't mind if due to advances from research from the Thargoid war, that the FSD doubles its range for everyone. Also doubling the max 2001c speed limit.

Also what may not be realized is ED's current hyperjump already approaches a "type 3 civilization" where crossing the galaxy can be done in a few days or weeks in real time. Which is already far more advanced than many sci-fi worlds and franchises. (The space civilization Kardashev scale: https://futurism.com/the-kardashev-s...-civilization/ , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale )

I would also think that ED shouldn't be ready to incorporate another galaxy yet, until one day the current galaxy is mapped out and populated which would have to be developed in npc lore. Perhaps long after the aftermath of the current Thargoid war and then any future alien civilization discovered in the other quadrants of the galaxy. Perhaps one way to do this would be to have scouting missions of outside-bubble space by certain exploratory factions that wish to colonize new systems out of the bubble. Powerplay should also be updated where it would be feasible to expand much farther out someday, perhaps an entire section of a galactic arm similar to Star Trek's Federation borders. It makes lore sense because the ED ships have much farther effective and timely range currently than Trek ships with their practically instant hyperjumps.
    This is why i demand original v1 jump ranges. Elite shouldn't be that advanced.

Also speed limits aren't entirely arbitrary. The code that handles collision detection is very dependent on the frequency of checking (cpu speed) and potential speed of the objects being simulated. This means to make it so not just the top 1% of pc's can play, they need to set the in game velocities to a number that is safe to assume will not exceed the range given the frequency we can check for collisions. Otherwise we can potentially miss collisions.

Originally Posted by Darth Ender View Post (Source)
    Also speed limits aren't entirely arbitrary. The code that handles collision detection is very dependent on the frequency of checking (cpu speed) and potential speed of the objects being simulated. This means to make it so not just the top 1% of pc's can play, they need to set the in game velocities to a number that is safe to assume will not exceed the range given the frequency we can check for collisions. Otherwise we can potentially miss collisions.
    I remember in Frontier: Elite 2, you could escape an inescapable crash by speeding up the time compression to the fastest rate (no FSD in those days, just uncapped acceleration and "make the time go by faster now" buttons) and if you were lucky everything would be going so fast you'd pass straight through the planet in-between collision checks.

Also what may not be realized is ED's current hyperjump already approaches a "type 3 civilization" where crossing the galaxy can be done in a few days or weeks in real time. Which is already far more advanced than many sci-fi worlds and franchises. (The space civilization Kardashev scale: https://futurism.com/the-kardashev-s...-civilization/ , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale ). However, ED's human civilzation is still "type 1" on most all of its other technology other than the hyperdrive and now SC, but can still build massive stations and colonize on several star systems.
    This is thanks to the decision to make ED a multiplayer game, and so to have to keep time in sync for everyone. In previous titles -- Frontier and First Encounters -- the system was far more interesting and the galaxy much more challenging to get around. Ships could fit hyperdrives of different ratings with correspondingly different maximum ranges -- but each drive would take seven in-game days to jump its maximum range, whether that was five light-years or thirty. Jumping half its range would always take 3.5 days, and so on.

This meant that you could pull some neat manoeuvres, such as departing a system after the ship you're hunting had already left, and arriving hours or even days before it did.

But it also meant that time was a far more pressing factor. It became far more important to pay attention to how far away things were -- not just whether they were in range or not. And fuel had to be carried in the cargo hold, tonnes of it, and the fuel cost for a given jump was also affected by the amount of stuff you were carrying, including fuel.

And then when you arrived in system your ship, while capable of hilarious acceleration, couldn't go FTL. There was no supercruise. So you not only had to factor in the days you might spend in witchspace, but also consider the hours or days you'd likely spend getting from the edge of the destination system to the planet or port you were heading for. Yeah, you could speed up time, but you still had to watch the clock if you were on a schedule.

In other words, A) Frontier/First Encounters was delicious, and B) there's absolutely no way to preserve all that in a multiplayer game without everyone playing in real time, making every witch-jump a matter of leaving the game running unattended for hours or days on end. So for the sake of us being able to pirate each other, we basically end up with a galaxy it's pretty trivial to cross.

I wouldn't mind if due to advances from research from the Thargoid war, that the FSD doubles its range for everyone. Also doubling the max 2001c speed limit.

Also what may not be realized is ED's current hyperjump already approaches a "type 3 civilization" where crossing the galaxy can be done in a few days or weeks in real time. Which is already far more advanced than many sci-fi worlds and franchises. (The space civilization Kardashev scale: https://futurism.com/the-kardashev-s...-civilization/ , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale ). However, ED's human civilzation is still "type 1" on most all of its other technology other than the hyperdrive and now SC, but can still build massive stations and colonize on several star systems.

I would also think that ED shouldn't be ready to incorporate another galaxy yet, until one day the current galaxy is mapped out and populated which would have to be developed in npc lore. Perhaps long after the aftermath of the current Thargoid war and then any future alien civilization discovered in the other quadrants of the galaxy. Perhaps one way to do this would be to have scouting missions of outside-bubble space by certain exploratory factions that wish to colonize new systems out of the bubble. Powerplay should also be updated where it would be feasible to expand much farther out someday, perhaps an entire section of a galactic arm similar to Star Trek's Federation borders. It makes lore sense because the ED ships have much farther effective and timely range currently than Trek ships with their practically instant hyperjumps.
    We aren't even close to being Type 2, reread the definition and reflex it.

Originally Posted by Darty View Post (Source)
    There are star clusters that are inaccessible with current fsd technology, and other star clusters that are impossible to return from (they need you to be in a max-jump range anaconda AND to supercharge, but there are no neutron stars within the cluster to supercharge for a return trip).

The trick would be to find some way to make these systems accessible without making it easier to reach the currently reachable systems.
    What I would like is a drive that can put you in a spot in deep interstellar space. With such a drive one could reach an otherwise inaccessible star, say 200 ly out in four jumps. But it would not make it any quicker to cross the galaxy, the same number of jumps would still be needed for that.

Originally Posted by Kurama 1100 View Post (Source)
    We aren't even close to being Type 2, reread the definition and reflex it.
    I did qualify it. Re-read my post and see how I differentiated the hyperdrive from the rest of ED's tech. The ED power used by the FSD ships may not approach the type2 definition of power amount used, but the effects of the hyperdrive to jump several ly's in seconds I would think qualifies. Human civilization is practically on the colonization of the galaxy phase which is a type2 characteristic if just for the hyperdrive alone.

Originally Posted by Ceitidh View Post (Source)
    This is thanks to the decision to make ED a multiplayer game, and so to have to keep time in sync for everyone. In previous titles -- Frontier and First Encounters -- the system was far more interesting and the galaxy much more challenging to get around. Ships could fit hyperdrives of different ratings with correspondingly different maximum ranges -- but each drive would take seven in-game days to jump its maximum range, whether that was five light-years or thirty. Jumping half its range would always take 3.5 days, and so on.

This meant that you could pull some neat manoeuvres, such as departing a system after the ship you're hunting had already left, and arriving hours or even days before it did.

But it also meant that time was a far more pressing factor. It became far more important to pay attention to how far away things were -- not just whether they were in range or not. And fuel had to be carried in the cargo hold, tonnes of it, and the fuel cost for a given jump was also affected by the amount of stuff you were carrying, including fuel.

And then when you arrived in system your ship, while capable of hilarious acceleration, couldn't go FTL. There was no supercruise. So you not only had to factor in the days you might spend in witchspace, but also consider the hours or days you'd likely spend getting from the edge of the destination system to the planet or port you were heading for. Yeah, you could speed up time, but you still had to watch the clock if you were on a schedule.

In other words, A) Frontier/First Encounters was delicious, and B) there's absolutely no way to preserve all that in a multiplayer game without everyone playing in real time, making every witch-jump a matter of leaving the game running unattended for hours or days on end. So for the sake of us being able to pirate each other, we basically end up with a galaxy it's pretty trivial to cross.
    Well stated, I agree about the mmo required synchronization and I had posted before how they had to do away with the stardreamer (time speedup mode) because of it. I had played FFE and it was my favorite space game before ED where the X games were an ok substitute in between. It's interesting to see that FFE's average high speed through a system was still just about .10c ~ 30Mm/s. I am ok with ED's advances in it's propulsion and jump tech even if it was partly motivated by mmo real-time synchronization. It took me a few days to get used to SC instead of FFEs stardreamer but then I liked it alot because it is basically like Star Trek's warp drive where you can now zip by orbital bodies at warp speed. Interesting how some complain about the "long waits" in SC yet may not realize it's realistic sci-fi, and in the old Star Trek, the enterprise , Kirk and co. had to often travel for days or weeks to reach their destinations. Asimov's "Foundation" series and even Herbert's "Dune" series had instantaneous jump travel capable of immense distances but then again their worlds took place tens of thousands of years in the future, where ED's current hyperjump is close in function and galactic spanning power.

Originally Posted by Gaiseric View Post (Source)
    What I would like is a drive that can put you in a spot in deep interstellar space. With such a drive one could reach an otherwise inaccessible star, say 200 ly out in four jumps. But it would not make it any quicker to cross the galaxy, the same number of jumps would still be needed for that.
    I've said it before but here it is again. Squad Carriers will probably use the capital ship drive system. At the moment our current FSD system is limited by the size of the ships, the largest ships we can fly are the largest ships that can use the type of FSD we have. If a Squad Carrier can transport multiple ships, refuel, resupply and repair and act as a spawn point then it will certainly be larger than out current largest ships and therefore be unable to use our FSD. The capital ship drive system will certainly be able to jump further, it will probably use the same technology as Jaque did to move out to Colonia, but will probably need a group effort to supply it with fuel, and will probably take hours to get where it is going, so it will be a plus with distance but a negative with travel time.

So yes it will probably take the same amount of time to cross the galaxy, need multiple major refuelling stops along the way, but it will probably get us to places we can't reach at the moment.

That's my take on Squad Carriers anyway. I could be wrong, it's happened at least once before

I wouldn't mind a secondary jump drive we could install on our ships - as in, we have our regular FSD for getting around, but we could get a second one that allows us to jump 25,000ly in one big jump - but it would have a 1 week or 2 week cooldown - I think that would be awesome it would allow explorers the chance to get out there and explore straight off the bat, then after two weeks they could jump back, hand in, then go do some other activity.

I did qualify it. Re-read my post and see how I differentiated the hyperdrive from the rest of ED's tech. The ED power used by the FSD ships may not approach the type2 definition of power amount used, but the effects of the hyperdrive to jump several ly's in seconds I would think qualifies. Human civilization is practically on the colonization of the galaxy phase which is a type2 characteristic if just for the hyperdrive alone.
    I reckon a Type-3 civilization could be using the FSD but if you take the real parameter to qualify for a Type-3 or Type-2 civilization, energy, then we don't and our FSD is the only technological exception.

Originally Posted by CMDR Dreamstate View Post (Source)
    I wouldn't mind a secondary jump drive we could install on our ships - as in, we have our regular FSD for getting around, but we could get a second one that allows us to jump 25,000ly in one big jump - but it would have a 1 week or 2 week cooldown - I think that would be awesome it would allow explorers the chance to get out there and explore straight off the bat, then after two weeks they could jump back, hand in, then go do some other activity.
    No, IMHO. That's just another insta-jump that ruins the impression of the vastness of space.

Originally Posted by nexxo View Post (Source)
    No, IMHO. That's just another insta-jump that ruins the impression of the vastness of space.
    And no to insta-jump. We don't need "COD-style map click instant teleporting" in this game.

It's about flying spaceships- and if people don't "enjoy" flying spaceships it's likely not the game for them.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678