Thread: My Take on Elite Dangerous

My Take on Elite Dangerous

so ive had elite dangerous now for the better part of two years. ive logged 810 total hours on the xbox one and for the few months i have gone from just creeping on the reddit and forums to starting to take part in this massive and beautiful galaxy that i find myself in. ive noticed that you dont have to look far to see a lot of players vent there opinions about this game and while some are very constructive and hopeful others are not, so in light of this i wanted to give my opinion on this game because it is a good one. from the very first second i tried to play this game i can still remember trying for hours to get through the basic tutorials and how impossible it was to get through the docking one. i remember getting my first sidewinder and just being so displeased with its stylings and how it look like a door jamb with pegs, but it was my little door jamb and i was happy with it. now i for one expected just another open world rpg to make me into the space hero who saves the galaxy..... but i was so wrong. my first time taking off in that thing was terrible i accidentally turned off flight assist and bounced off the surface of the with my canopy and proceded to panic and dragged myself into the surface station just to explode and die. i did this at least 5 more times before i even got off the surface of the world, i put my nose to 90 degrees from the surface and hit super cruise. from then on i was hooked. the entire world i was just on became so tiny as it shrunk away from the side of my cockpit, the light got dark when i turned away from the sun to head to the nearest station, the stars in the background got so much brighter and i could see the entirety of the galaxy in front of me... i was in absolute awe. finally a game that didnt make me into a demigod who can survive rockets to the face with near instant regenerative abilities. finally a game that just made me be just another guy trying to survive in the vastness of the void, and survive i did. i worked for hours on end to become a rear admiral in the federal navy. i made a home in nanomam where i cared about whether or not criminals were present. finally a game that made me decide who i wanted to be instead of being told i was the "chosen one". Finally a game where i could just be me. all the while basking in the glory that is our universe. i sit here now in LHS 215 in my corvette a new recruit in a player faction looking back at the time i have invested into this commander, and i am proud to say that this game with all its flaws and issues has allowed me to be the person i choose to be. so thank you to everyone at frontier and everyone who support this game from the kickstarter to now. you have allowed this antisocial man to find a game that is helping him break out of his shell

Originally Posted by SHARPSHOOTER544 View Post (Source)
    So ive had elite dangerous now for the better part of two years. ive logged 810 total hours on the xbox one and for the few months i have gone from just creeping on the reddit and forums to starting to take part in this massive and beautiful galaxy that i find myself in. ive noticed that you dont have to look far to see a lot of players vent there opinions about this game and while some are very constructive and hopeful others are not, so in light of this i wanted to give my opinion on this game because it is a good one.

From the very first second i tried to play this game i can still remember trying for hours to get through the basic tutorials and how impossible it was to get through the docking one. i remember getting my first sidewinder and just being so displeased with its stylings and how it look like a door jamb with pegs, but it was my little door jamb and i was happy with it. now i for one expected just another open world rpg to make me into the space hero who saves the galaxy..... but i was so wrong.

My first time taking off in that thing was terrible i accidentally turned off flight assist and bounced off the surface of the with my canopy and proceded to panic and dragged myself into the surface station just to explode and die. i did this at least 5 more times before i even got off the surface of the world, i put my nose to 90 degrees from the surface and hit super cruise. from then on i was hooked. the entire world i was just on became so tiny as it shrunk away from the side of my cockpit, the light got dark when i turned away from the sun to head to the nearest station, the stars in the background got so much brighter and i could see the entirety of the galaxy in front of me... i was in absolute awe. finally a game that didnt make me into a demigod who can survive rockets to the face with near instant regenerative abilities. finally a game that just made me be just another guy trying to survive in the vastness of the void, and survive i did.

I worked for hours on end to become a rear admiral in the federal navy. i made a home in nanomam where i cared about whether or not criminals were present. finally a game that made me decide who i wanted to be instead of being told i was the "chosen one". Finally a game where i could just be me. all the while basking in the glory that is our universe. i sit here now in LHS 215 in my corvette a new recruit in a player faction looking back at the time i have invested into this commander, and i am proud to say that this game with all its flaws and issues has allowed me to be the person i choose to be. so thank you to everyone at frontier and everyone who support this game from the kickstarter to now.

You have allowed this antisocial man to find a game that is helping him break out of his shell
    Stick with us and we can teach ye how to actually write something thats easier to read than a solid block of text too...might even have cookies ^

I read the reformatted version.

This game is class, although, after the grind to get the Corvette I've been left burned out. That grind is manky.
    I rattled through that grind to get a ship I thought would be a good goid killer but now I have it I have to engineer it. I cant be bothered anymore. The grind is a morale killer and I would not be surprised if many a player has just said enough after doing it and shelved the game.

The mission system needs alot of investment and IMO putting in the time and effort to rebuild it should be priority.
    And get rid of the grind.

Good one ( look like a door jamb with pegs )

Originally Posted by GODofDUTY83 View Post (Source)
    I read the reformatted version.

This game is class, although, after the grind to get the Corvette I've been left burned out. That grind is manky.
    I rattled through that grind to get a ship I thought would be a good goid killer but now I have it I have to engineer it. I cant be bothered anymore. The grind is a morale killer and I would not be surprised if many a player has just said enough after doing it and shelved the game.

The mission system needs alot of investment and IMO putting in the time and effort to rebuild it should be priority.
    And get rid of the grind.
    Us explorers grind too, we merely grind different things like distance. I can assure ye, I see loading screeens in my sleep and suffer tinitus in my ears every time Im in traffic lights...'4....3....2....1...engage' Lights are green so go sorta routine. Getting back to colonia is just the halway point...Im bubble bound so grind, grind and grind some more

I can feel the burnout starting already...encroaching on my mind like shadowy fingers reaching out to what I use to stay motivated. Might find that when I do eventually get back to the bubble, Im burnt out and need a break. Time will tell the tale ^

Op don't say you like this game, jeez . Wait for the flood of why you should hate it and how flawed everything is.

Me though, I'm in the same boat as you really. I do enjoy elite, I've invested alot of time and effort into this game, across 3 accounts (PC and 2 xbox account's).

It helped me with some hard times and changes in my life. I admit it's not for everyone and yes there are some issues but after all it is just a game and it can't please everyone.

I've often sat and pondered about my early days on elite (nearly 3 years). It's a healthy thing to do. Then look at us now, sat in big ships we could only dream of when we first saw or even knew how to obtain them.

I joined Canonn a few years back (I try to keep up with them ) and have friends and family that are part of other player groups. Yea you get guilds and what not in other mmo's but for me elite has a uniqueness about it for the way player groups work.

Hope to see you in the black some time o7

Originally Posted by verminstar View Post (Source)
    Us explorers grind too, we merely grind different things like distance. I can assure ye, I see loading screeens in my sleep and suffer tinitus in my ears every time Im in traffic lights...'4....3....2....1...engage' Lights are green so go sorta routine. Getting back to colonia is just the halway point...Im bubble bound so grind, grind and grind some more

I can feel the burnout starting already...encroaching on my mind like shadowy fingers reaching out to what I use to stay motivated. Might find that when I do eventually get back to the bubble, Im burnt out and need a break. Time will tell the tale ^
    I suppose your right.
    The grind is unavoidable.
    I turned my countdown off when I took a trip 6kly out. It aint been reactivated since. Listening to that on route to Colonia, rather you than me.

I found a nice little trick when I was on that trip.
    Set 'select next target in route' as a bind. Once you have plotted a route and activated fsd to high wake hit that bind. The big target circle dissapears and you get to see the jump tunnel activate without the on screen hud element.

I could not agree more!

I too still love the game, and I've got (according to the XBone dash timer thingy) 3869hrs in game

To the OP, glad to hear you're enjoying the game. Also brilliant to read some positives. If you're enjoying the game then keep on keeping on. Those of us who know it's something special also know why

If you break this into paragraphs it would be much more reader friendly.

Walls of text are often overlooked. I like the game a lot op after my OMG wth is flying panics left.

Well, that post's a good 'don't judge a book by its cover' case study: I see a block of text with absolutely no formatting whatsoever and an apparent disregard for grammar, but the content was endearingly lucid. Despite the lowercase edifice, I still rep'd.

Any particular reason, OP, that you didn't once hit the return key or use caps? It's a simple courtesy to everyone else to format text. If someone doesn't appear to care about the presentation of their point, why should anyone care to listen? And if there is a good reason for the edifice, there's no harm in just pointing out why at the top of a post to provide context.

I've no idea how many hours I've logged, but I'm probably about a year or two away from getting anywhere near owning a Corvette; I barely ever focus on ranking, and I have my own RP to progress - as well as exploration itch to scratch - so that takes priority.

But yeah, whilst the Elite community has a veritable boatload, it seems, of constantly negative whiners (most on PC, perhaps?), Elite can do little wrong for me. I mean, I really don't like the exploitative, overcharged, and lazy microtransactions (and no, as Jim Sterling points out, 'It's just cosmetic!' is not a valid defence), and I'm sure everyone could find elements within the game they'd like to change, but on Xbox there is absolutely no competition whatsoever, and even across the platforms there is nothing quite like it.

I played Frontier, terribly, as a kid, and could barely do more than take off, land, dock, jump, and die... With no internet to help out, and no one I knew playing it, I treated it more like a precious thing to covet - something to be awed by, but not play. And so Elite Dangerous (to be fair, valid complaints can start with its name, as it is incredibly daft... ) felt strangely nostalgic; it was the experience I always imagined, but on a grander scale and with current technology. The XB1 is an underpowered machine, but Elite can still look absolutely stunning on it, in terms of its art design, lighting, scope and scale. Some genuinely great sound design really helps, too.

And given I actually do 'blaze my own trail' with an RP, the lack of narrative progression hasn't really bothered me. Elite is not the game to play for linear narrative, plot development, or characters, at least not handed to you on a platter by the devs. The updates will make some things better (aka do things I like), and make other things worse (aka do things I don't like), and I just roll with the punches - it's always going to have ups and downs, and that's part of the, er, fun. If you accept the perks of iterative game design, then you must accept the downsides as well.

I won't always be playing the game, and I don't understand how some can seem to without prolonged breaks for other games. But I'll certainly be here for the full run - from my first lift off inside a station, to the day FDev's universe galaxy blinks out of existence when the servers go dark.

...and I will continue to hemorrhage money in their general direction for microtransactions. Because I am a gullible idiot, and Fashion Souls has no genre boundaries. ; -)