Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Panic: BGS guides and help

Don't Panic: BGS guides and help

The Collected Knowledge of the BGS Community on the Background Simulation

Originally Posted by misquote
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Background Simulation is for and how it works, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
    There are many guides to the BGS and much generously shared knowledge on understanding on these forums. Existing guides and resources are listed at the bottom of this post. The BGS is subject to change - some announced and some not. This is the collected understanding of groups and indivoduals who have experimented and tested the workings of the Black Box!

Put very simply:
    • Actions of commanders (missions, trade, selling data, bounty hunting, smuggling, murder and fighing in CZs, cause positive and negative changes in influence of minor factions.
    • The BGS records these different actions as >TRANSACTIONS< and the net difference between positive and negative transactions is converted to changes in influence. Changes are higher in low population systems.
    • In addition to influence changes, player actions also result in >STATE< changes.
    • State and influence changes are updated approximately every 24 hours at what is known as the >TICK<
    • The maximum >INFLUENCE< that you can gain by completing positive actions for one faction varies with population and starting influence.

Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    Protect me from knowing what I don’t need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don’t know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen

WARNING

This is one of those Red Pill/Blue Pill moments.

After this, there is no turning back. If you stop your search for the truth here, the story ends, you carry on in the game doing whatever you want to without a care in the world. You click the links and you enter Wonderland, and we will show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all we are offering is the current best guess at the workings of the black box... Be careful what you choose, its an addiction playing the BGS. If you want to go deeper into the rabbit hole click the links above and below

Guides to the BGS and other resources

LIVE HELP (well liveish) ED-BGD Discord

other

Definitely - its an original source reference - thanks for digging it out!

Nice! I've added this to the "Manuals, Guides and other stuff for new players" section of my sticky "Best of Forum" thread. I don't think I had anything about the BGS so that's a really cool addition.

Cheers - will check them out and add if they are new

edit: and yes they are already in - but no harm in checking!

When you have time, Essential Viewing:

DNA-Decay's basic level primer on politics in Elite Dangerous:

An hour of Dav Stott giving the nuts and bolts:

Another hour with Ed and Dav tackling the big topics:

I hope we don't have to dig out all those old Michael Brookes quotes from the forum. It was great info and engagement while it lasted. Not sure how much of it is relevant today, probably all superceded by the Jan 2016 dev post.

I know that most if not all were immediately locked aways for safekeeping by us and then added to the Merc's guide if they were not already present

Just declassified this video from 3302. Enjoy.

In my opinion no. Its not got any information that isn't already in the links above - but I am open to persuasion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast