Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 15181920

Thread: Maps and visualizations

Yeah, I made a few attempts to align the regional boundaries, and I centered it more visually at first. But then some of the corners didn't line up with the arm gaps the same way they did in screenshots of the in-game codex map. Some of that might also be due to scaling the whole overlay too, but it's hard to tell.

The good news is that now that I've created the "path" in Photoshop, I can scale and move it around as needed before re-rasterizing.

I didn't see if the journals will record region names as people travel. I hope it does, so that EDSM can build up some region data.

Originally Posted by Orvidius View Post (Source)
    Yeah, I made a few attempts to align the regional boundaries, and I centered it more visually at first. But then some of the corners didn't line up with the arm gaps the same way they did in screenshots of the in-game codex map. Some of that might also be due to scaling the whole overlay too, but it's hard to tell.

The good news is that now that I've created the "path" in Photoshop, I can scale and move it around as needed before re-rasterizing.

I didn't see if the journals will record region names as people travel. I hope it does, so that EDSM can build up some region data.
    It does, but not very usefully. At least in my journal files from the beta, the region name is only emitted when you create a Codex entry by scanning a new type of object. So EDSM could harvest region names from the journals, but each player could only contribute one system per type of object (104 in total, I think?). We might need something similar to the current triangulation interface, allowing players to manually tag systems with the region they are in. Of course, once we have good boundaries, EDSM can do that automatically from the coordinates. Then perhaps it could do something similar to how it puts systems needing more trilateral distances on the front page -- proactively ask commanders to check stars calculated to be close to a region border to verify which region they are in.

Originally Posted by Straha Yeagar View Post (Source)
    The Starfleet logo has been up there for a while now, but that second is for sure new.
    Indeed, it has been there for two years...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...27#post4624727

The Nyuthai Ripple was about a kylie out from where it should have on EDDiscovery at the time, but that was my target back then.

Originally Posted by SpocksOddSocks View Post (Source)
    Indeed, it has been there for two years...
    Yeah, I had a total brain-fart on that one. I had seen it before, but for some reason it looked different and didn't ring a bell when I saw it again in my own maps.

I've tweaked the positioning of the region boundaries and labels, but I know it's still not quite right. I'll have to make more adjustments later when we can start getting some positioning info in-game on where the region corners are.

I've also added the region-overlaid heatmap as a downloadable image.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 15181920