Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recon Limpet

Recon Limpet

I really hope this is an exploration tool to find cool stuff on planets and not just a thing to "hack" megaships for some data and text.

We have that now. We don't need a wasted module space on something we can already do. At the very least if it is supposed to be a hacking thing it better come with a sudoku puzzle or mini game.

I mean come on!

I feel like it's going to be similar to the Research Limpet, where it has a use for some particular gameplay element involving the Thargoids and nothing else.

That would be such a waste of coding time for something that should have just been scannable.

Yay. We so need one more type of limpet module. I've just got so many empty module slots.

I hope it scales as sensibly as collector limpets.

Frontier keeps adding mechanics and modules to the game without changing the amount of slots in our ships. I think that's a mistake. Maybe some stuff should just be added to our ships automatically, like the data link scanner for example.

PS
    Or there could be just one type of limpet controller and limpet that is able to perform every action. A universal limpet. I would even fit it to my ship.

Originally Posted by Yure View Post (Source)
    That would be such a waste of coding time for something that should have just been scannable.
    If the limpet can hack nav-beacons and get me info on valuable
    convoys in the system or special transports coming up
    it'd be useful.

Just having a new limpet type for a single interactable POI
    on a megaship is just a big waste.
    Why do we need to have sepcialized limpet controllers,
    if every 2 month there is a new limpet?

Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    Frontier keeps adding mechanics and modules to the game without changing the amount of slots in our ships. I think that's a mistake. Maybe some stuff should just be added to our ships automatically, like the data link scanner for example.

PS
    Or there could be just one type of limpet controller and limpet that is able to perform every action. A universal limpet. I would even fit it to my ship.
    Absolutely, or they just could circumvent the problem,
    having limpet controllers only adding a maximum number of parallel active limpets
    and have us buy specialized limpets from the resupply store.

It is pretty unintuitive to have a specialized controller for every thing,
    especially seeing it as each limpet has to be differently equipped and
    have specialized firmware in.

The only thing limpet controllers do is steer the things!

Originally Posted by Julio Montega View Post (Source)
    If the limpet can hack nav-beacons and get me info on valuable
    convoys in the system or special transports coming up
    it'd be useful.

Just having a new limpet type for a single interactable POI
    on a megaship is just a big waste.
    Why do we need to have sepcialized limpet controllers,
    if every 2 month there is a new limpet?

Absolutely, or they just could circumvent the problem,
    having limpet controllers only adding a maximum number of parallel active limpets
    and have us buy specialized limpets from the resupply store.

It is pretty unintuitive to have a specialized controller for every thing,
    especially seeing it as each limpet has to be differently equipped and
    have specialized firmware in.

The only thing limpet controllers do is steer the things!
    I think that part of the complaints about Elite having not enough game play, content, mechanics, etc is because they always cut us off form the content. It would be awesome to have missions that combine all the different mechanics in the game but it would be impossible because nobody has such a ship...

Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    I think that part of the complaints about Elite having not enough game play, content, mechanics, etc is because they always cut us off form the content. It would be awesome to have missions that combine all the different mechanics in the game but it would be impossible because nobody has such a ship...
    Hopefully Wing missions will cover that in the future, which would work very nicely.

I read the OP as Bacon Limpet initially , which on reflection , might be an idea that would catch on.

Originally Posted by Slopey View Post (Source)
    Hopefully Wing missions will cover that in the future, which would work very nicely.
    For multiplayer, not for solo players.

I wonder if maybe there's an opportunity for a limpet controller rack. Would function a bit like an SRV bay in that it takes up one internal slot but has multiple sub-slots (2 or maybe 3), each of which can hold a limpet controller?

What is with the limpet module stuff -_-

It's such a convoluted and silly way to do things. How does the launcher define what the limpet does? Shouldn't this be dictated by the TYPE of LIMPET you have which is then launched by who-cares-what-method?

The launcher should have absolutely no bearing on what the limpet does.

We should have one "Limpet Launcher" module, and whatever task you want the limpet to do should be dictated by the type of limpet you have in your cargohold. You could load the limpet types easily through the "Functions" tab, just as we set Turreted weapons to Free-for-all, Forward Fire or Target-Only.

Why do we need all these anti-logical modules in the game?

If I have a "Hatch Breaker Limpet" then it shouldn't matter how it is launched.

Hell, grab it with your hands, roll down the window and chuck it out and it should fly off and do it's thing.

I think that there should be a module with different sizes just called a limpet controller. This limpet controller has slots, the bigger the limpet controller the more slots its has which you can then plug in the different types of sub-modules such as Recon, Collector, Decontamination, Fuel Transfer, Hatch Breaker, Prospector, Repair, Research.

So a size 1 has 1 slot

Size 3 has 2 slots

Size 5 has 3 slots

Size 7 has 4 slots

You can only have 1 limpet controller installed like a shield as they plug into your sensors/comms array and there is only one connection for them.

Or have it as Red Fox Four and have limpet controllers but have lots of different types of limpets.

Originally Posted by Red Fox Four View Post (Source)
    What is with the limpet module stuff -_-

It's such a convoluted and silly way to do things. How does the launcher define what the limpet does? Shouldn't this be dictated by the TYPE of LIMPET you have which is then launched by who-cares-what-method?

The launcher should have absolutely no bearing on what the limpet does.

We should have one "Limpet Launcher" module, and whatever task you want the limpet to do should be dictated by the type of limpet you have in your cargohold. You could load the limpet types easily through the "Functions" tab, just as we set Turreted weapons to Free-for-all, Forward Fire or Target-Only.

Why do we need all these anti-logical modules in the game?

If I have a "Hatch Breaker Limpet" then it shouldn't matter how it is launched.

Hell, grab it with your hands, roll down the window and chuck it out and it should fly off and do it's thing.
    I think they've done it that way so you can bind different limpet controllers to different firegroup buttons (e.g. when mining you can really quickly switch between firegroups and/or use primary/secondary fire buttons to launch prospectors and collectors). I think deploying different limpets would become somewhat cumbersome so the idea of having programmable limpets who's function is determined by the controller you fire it with seems like a fairly inspired bit of game design.

Originally Posted by Slopey View Post (Source)
    So play together or don't bother with the new content?
    I dislike any attempt to drive people into playing together. Great if that's what you want, but it's not for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast