Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Megaship Interactions

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #16
    Lead Games Designer
    Frontier Developments
    Frontier Employee
    Hi folks,

Thanks for testing the megaship interactions in the beta and giving us your feedback.

One thing we have forgotten to pass on is that the interactions are slightly different at damaged and operational ships.
    Cargo bays on wrecked ships will not give a crime as the systems are damaged. Data terminals and comms arrays still give crimes.
    I'll pop some locations into the original post for some damaged ships for you guys to look at as well.
    *edit* - Just to confirm something else, you can open the cargo bays more than once to get more of the cargo out of the ship (up until the bay is empty)

At the moment the cargo that the ships are carrying is based on the type of ship - Survey ship carries machinery, metals or minerals, tankers carry chemicals or some food types ans so on. We can look at this and see if we can put some higher yield rewards in place. Obviously we won't make all the ship full of low temp diamonds, but i'm sure there is a middle ground to make it profitable to raid one of these ships.

The ship log uplink should be scannable and give a flight plan for the ship so that you know where to find it again when it moves. If this is not working please put in a bug report.

We are going to review the interactions during the beta and balance where we think is appropriate, so please do keep the feedback coming so that we can get a clear picture of the areas that need balancing.

Thanks again for your help testing these locations.

Steve K

Originally Posted by Steve Kirby View Post (Source)
    One thing we have forgotten to pass on is that the interactions are slightly different at damaged and operational ships.
    Cargo bays on wrecked ships will not give a crime as the systems are damaged. Data terminals and comms arrays still give crimes.
    I'll pop some locations into the original post for some damaged ships for you guys to look at as well.
    So if we want to smuggle cargo we need to find a "salvage" ship and never go near an operational one, and if we want to hack we're going to automatically get a bounty? That seems a bit weighted.

I believe the intent is that an "active" megaship will require a full wing to handle the security ships. A wrecked megaship should be doable solo, with the bounty (which is pretty small, I only got 200 CR from hacking a data terminal) being pretty easy to ignore entirely or pay off in a neighbouring system.

Originally Posted by Tobasco da Gama View Post (Source)
    I believe the intent is that an "active" megaship will require a full wing to handle the security ships. A wrecked megaship should be doable solo, with the bounty (which is pretty small, I only got 200 CR from hacking a data terminal) being pretty easy to ignore entirely or pay off in a neighbouring system.
    You can pay it off, for like 2 million.

If a 200 CR bounty requires a 2 million CR payoff, then that's an entirely unrelated bug.

Originally Posted by Steve Kirby View Post (Source)
    Hi folks,

Thanks for testing the megaship interactions in the beta and giving us your feedback.

*edit* - Just to confirm something else, you can open the cargo bays more than once to get more of the cargo out of the ship (up until the bay is empty)

At the moment the cargo that the ships are carrying is based on the type of ship - Survey ship carries machinery, metals or minerals, tankers carry chemicals or some food types ans so on. We can look at this and see if we can put some higher yield rewards in place. Obviously we won't make all the ship full of low temp diamonds, but i'm sure there is a middle ground to make it profitable to raid one of these ships.

The ship log uplink should be scannable and give a flight plan for the ship so that you know where to find it again when it moves. If this is not working please put in a bug report.

We are going to review the interactions during the beta and balance where we think is appropriate, so please do keep the feedback coming so that we can get a clear picture of the areas that need balancing.

Thanks again for your help testing these locations.

Steve K
    Thanks for the reply!

Did i understand you correct there:
    - scan megaship cargo bay -> use limpet-> bay cleared into space -> filled with new items?
    - the ship log uplink allows for knowledge of a flight path, but we have no other ingame means for attaining info on megaships?

No need to fill the holds of all megaships with super special stuff,
    they are better liked immersive and consistent to the class

But what about allowing some "wrecked" megaships to be ferrying rare goods
    like artwork, jewelry and such?
    Dreaming of a treasure ship to rob
    I'll be testing next week as the patch is put out to fix the engineering issue.

was going in order.. the 3rd and 4th listed - I did not see any megaships.
    Samson-class Bulk Cargo Ship ZAE-013 Mokosh
    Hogan-class Bulk Cargo Ship DAL-658 Keiadir

I had a go at this and found that the security response was excessively high for a little petty hacking and theft from an agricultural ship. Within seconds a wing of three anacondas and support vessels jumped in and started shooting me, as the megaship had a fired at me too. Rewards were paltry. I didn't have time to scoop up even one canister of algae, fish, animal meat. This game mechanic has good potential but needs a lot of tweaking. A 300cr bounty and they came at me like I was the galaxy's most notorious criminal mastermind. Of course, I know I was stealing but hey... Please take another look.

Iíve expected megaship interactions to be implemented as a part of some scenarios like unlocking tech broker items but I forgot that this game is ED

So I used the Data link on the hackable comms array. However it is telling me that the recon limpets are not the right ones to use. Says, invalid limpet target... What am I doing wrong here?

The thing you use the recon limpet on is a subtarget of the hackable coms array.

right, I see the sub-target tab in the panel but it was telling me invalid limpet target... I'm on the way back to try it again now... I thought I would see what would happen if I went crazy shooting everything and stealing from the cargo bays (that one worked)... I went to hit my shield cell bank and then a heat sink. However, instead of the heat sink I hit silent running... Ooops... bawhahahaha On the plus side, I got to see the prison/detention ship!

Installing the beta now and I think this is the first thing I'm going to try out. But just a few preliminary comments to throw out there.

We've got wing missions now. And we've got interactive megaships (with TIGHT security it sounds like). Is there any chance we will see missions that involve interacting with megaships? It only seems natural and would be a really great way to reveal locations of megaships to players as well as a really cool mission type. It was even mentioned in the live stream that these were designed with cooperative play in mind. We have missions now that send us to surface bases to take out power plants, goliaths, skimmers, or interface with a particular data point to get mission info. How much of a stretch would it be to have that same gameplay with megaships? Wing mission or not, it would be a big incentive for players to go there.

Oh also I agree that we should have the ability to stealth raid these things. If there was like some data point that delayed reporting the crime so you would have a time limit to get your goods and get out, that would be really cool. OR (this is probably less of an easy thing to implement) maybe there could be some system where you get a fake authorization code from a mission giver which would allow you to interact with a megaship without being detected as a criminal. I just don't think it should be an instant call to the police every time you touch a megaship. Give us some tricks!

Anywho, excited to try it out.

Okay, perhaps it was an instance thing... I went back and was able to hack to comms array however, after doing both sides of it with the recon limpet I have no idea what I got from it or if I got anything at all. Nothing showed up on the info panel telling me...

Secondly, I went ahead and hacked the cargo bay... I went ahead and did it twice and collected everything while sitting there taking hits popping SCB's in my corvette... Ummmm what?!?! lol... Below is the info for that little incursion:

1. I "stole" roughly just shy of 100,000 credits worth of junk like silver and the like.

2. My repair, restock, refuel bill was roughly 35,000 credits.

3. I got a bounty of 2,400 credits. I did not shoot anything so this bounty is from hacking the cargo bay and comms array.

4. Bounty pay off cost me 13,850,000 credits... Yes you read that right...

In short, not even close to worth it unless you simply want to play pirate and see how long you can last...

Don't get me wrong... The new interactions of the mega ships and everything going on around them is wicked cool! However, you will not be making a great living doing it... lol... On the flip side of that, there are a lot of bad guys to shoot around them or at least at the ship I was at there was...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast