Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Planetary Colours

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1

Planetary Colours

Planet Colours

• Please travel to landable, rocky, high-metal content and metal-rich planets.
    • Once on a planet, keep an eye on:
      • The colour of the dust kicked up by your ship or SRV.
      • The colour of rocks around settlements, decals around settlements, and the colour of any tracks left in the terrain.

If these are drastically different to the colour of the planet, please let us know!

The new colours should also be accurately reflected on the galaxy map.

As far as SRV tracks go, I think having them of slightly different colour isn't bad. Quite the opposite. There's a layer of dust on the surface and beneath it could as well be something different. so as long as the dust matches the original surface, the tracks can be whatever colour they want. It even looks cooler than everything being the same colour.

I think whatever layer we are driving on, is not so paper thin that I should be kicking up a different surface with my SRV's tires.

Originally Posted by tgrosh View Post (Source)
    I think whatever layer we are driving on, is not so paper thin that I should be kicking up a different surface with my SRV's tires.
    There is less than an inch of dust on the moon. and it took over 20.000 years to accumulate, according to the research. I think it's safe to say that a SRV tire would dig into the actual soil. (that wouldn't have the same colour as the dust, as dust is mainly a meteorite strike fallout.)

Diferent colour its not a bad thing

Well, I'm not sure. Landed on Lister planet (Wyrd A 4) and the textures of the surfacewhen reminds me south Moravian wineyards... Click for full resolution

Do you have terrain work aall the way up? This looks like a distant LOD problem.
    It's a thing taht needs fixing, nonetheless, but it's not what I'm seeing.

Not noticed dust colours but I did notice that surface colour doesnít seem to match what is shown in the system map.

Also, surface brightness seems too dark. Itís noticable as you fly towards a world and it changes from being a large dot to actually rendering the surface, the overall brightness suddenly drops. This is similar to how things used to be a while ago, but 2.2/2.3 has had a near perfect transition with no change in brightness.

When you actually get to the surface, I think some worlds appear too dark given the available lighting.

System map data does not match planet visuals anymore.

I am liking the changes so far, and there is a fascinating contrast on track trails in certain areas - not minding it at all.

So far so good, just need that system data updated.

I've found a planet which is tidally locked and described as a rocky world. But the cool thing is that at the pole there is a clearly coloured and icy icecap

Some more photos here

I can't land on planets as the game says I'm not an Horizons player, even though I am

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Do you have terrain work aall the way up? This looks like a distant LOD problem.
    It's a thing taht needs fixing, nonetheless, but it's not what I'm seeing.
    Originally I had Quality HIGH, but nothing changed even after changing to ULTRA (Checked that all TERRAIN options are ULTRA).

Originally Posted by ilicz View Post (Source)
    Originally I had Quality HIGH, but nothing changed even after changing to ULTRA (Checked that all TERRAIN options are ULTRA).
    http://ilicz.cz/elite/details_ULTRA.jpg
    The important bit is that "Terrain work" slider. It governs how far ahead are the HD textures loaded. Try pushing it to the max, even if you have to lower the terrain overal quality.

Originally Posted by Flak View Post (Source)
    I can't land on planets as the game says I'm not an Horizons player, even though I am
    There are two betas in the launcher - base game and Horizons. If you loaded just the base game, you won't be able to land on planets.

Originally Posted by Flak View Post (Source)
    Sure you haven't launched the non Horizons Beta by mistake?

[EDIT] Ninja'd

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast