Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: StatusDisplay - status.json display and surface navigation assistant.

  1. #1

    StatusDisplay - status.json display and surface navigation assistant.

    With the inclusion of status.json in the player journal data offered by the game in 3.0, I've started to develop an application to display that data and, given that positional information is included when in proximity to a landable body, allow the player to set destination latitude / longitude and calculate the range and bearing to that destination. Following success with status.json, attention has now moved to reading information from the Journal.

    Current progress:

    1) Display of time and raw flags; position, destination, info panel (a reduced combination of position and destination) and limited Journal information. All overlay elements can be toggled but one must remain.
    2) MFD display - squares at the edge and elements in the centre are shaded according to the state of the assigned flag. Journal information, position, destination and/or info panel can also be displayed.
    3) "Tiny" overlay display - alternate overlay for destination and relevant information.

    Current game screen overlay, i.e. 1):

    Current MFD displays:

    Current "Tiny" Destination information display:






    When in focus, the overlay is opaque and is changed to a user defined opacity on loss of focus. The colour, saturation and luminosity used on the overlay can also be modified. All button / checkbox / combobox controls have been moved to an options dialog (accessed by right clicking on the overlay window) which also incorporates the overlay window font size setting, input of body radius (needed to calculate speed-over-ground and range to target) and destination position and also checkboxes to display each MFD window (unchecked by default at this time) and buttons to open the MFD button setting dialog for each MFD. Windows are set to be always on top, so will be visible when on the same screen as the game while playing.

    Each MFD display element (20 off, one next to each edge button and 20 in the center) is able to be changed individually. The border settings for the MFD window can be individually defined - example shows 0% for both - reduces the size of the image within the window (and expands buttons to the edges) to suit individual display requirements. Horizontal and vertical text alignment can be specified for each group of display elements, i.e. top row, bottom row, left column, right column and centre block.

    New in 0.0.1.8, optional second MFD control set for use when in SRV.
    New in 0.0.1.9, ability to load current game bindings directly from Custom.3.0.binds file for each MFD separately.
    New in 0.0.2.0, ability to select one, both or neither of DEST / POSN to display in the centre of each MFD - now slightly reduced in height to leave one row of centre buttons visible when both DEST and POSN selected.
    New in 0.0.2.1, refresh rate can now be selected by user; some active MFD display elements now "pulse"; displayed time should now correct to GMT.
    New in 0.0.2.2, very limited Journal information.
    New in 0.0.2.3, a bit more Journal information and a fuel gauge.
    New in 0.0.2.4, optional Info panel in Overlay and/or MFD.
    New in 0.0.2.5, concatenation of consecutive journal entries of the same type for fuel scooping; discovery scans and ship passive scans.

    Link to Discord server with release and direct comms: https://discord.gg/x8ZeQJC

    Direct link to 7z file containing Beta 0.0.2.5 executable: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...180520-2206.7z


    Many more defined buttons still to be added - please suggest inclusions (i.e. omissions) below.

    N.B. for options, please right click on overlay window (any StatusDisplay window really - just that the overlay window is the only one displayed by default). Any window can be moved by click-and-drag in the window area (other than controls).

  2. #2
    Hi Robert,

    this is going to be a great puzzle, to rearrange my gadgets to be able to make your display work in my cockpit!

    This means many exciting DIY-hours

    Best regards!

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    With the inclusion of status.json in the player journal data offered by the game in 3.0, I've started to develop an application to display that data and, given that positional information is included when in proximity to a landable body, allow the player to set destination latitude / longitude and calculate the range and bearing to that destination.

    It's early days yet - I'll be expanding it to display the flags that are also published in status.json - both in a window and also in graphical form suitable for display on a screen behind an MFD (I use a pair of Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs as additional controllers).

    Current progress:

    1) Display of time and raw flags; position (if available, i.e. in proximity of a landable body) and destination (if set and if positional data is available).
    2) Beginnings of MFD display template - to be filled with decoded flag information, i.e. landing gear up/down, etc.

    Current game screen overlay, i.e. 1):
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...46/unknown.png

    Current MFD display template:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...95/unknown.png

    When in focus, window 1 is opaque and changes to 60% opacity on loss of focus. Also on loss of focus, the buttons (not yet final) "disappear" by resizing the window. Window is set to be always on top, so will be visible when on the same screen as the game while playing.

    It's my first Windows GUI application - so everything's a learning experience....
    If you can get this working in a window I can pin inside my Rift, you will officially become "My hero". Lazy explorers (like me) need this ASAP!

  4. #4
    Some progress made with the MFD display windows (not the font or text size though) - independently resizable and they refresh every second. The diameter of the body can now be entered which allows speed over ground and range to destination to be expressed as a speed and distance rather than Arc°/hr and Arc°.

    Next on the list:

    1) font / text size;
    2) customisable "button" (i.e square next to MFD button) assignment;
    3) save / load window positions / sizes and button assignments;
    4) something to put in the middle square.

  5. #5
    This is an awesome idea!

    Any chance you could trigger the LEDs on the MFDs to indicate Hardpoints, Cargo Scoop, or Landing Gear deployed? Mass Locked?

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by AndreZero View Post (Source)
    This is an awesome idea!

    Any chance you could trigger the LEDs on the MFDs to indicate Hardpoints, Cargo Scoop, or Landing Gear deployed? Mass Locked?
    I'm not interfacing with the MFDs - just putting images on the screen behind them.

    The square next to each button changes colour - and, later, may possibly flash, depending on severity - when each flag is set.

  7. #7
    I guess I'm asking if it is possible for your application to do that as a future enhancement. I assume the data you would need are in the status.json?

  8. #8
    The data is certainly in status.json - however I'm not sure that the button backlights are individually addressable to permit single buttons lights to be changed.

  9. #9
    Hi,

    I've made some experiments with the TARGET software in the past, the button backlights can't be controlled separately, only the two small LEDs on the upper left/right. Together, that is four, so gears/scoop/hardpoints/lights (or whatever) status could be displayed with some additional plugin stuff... It was just a pain to follow the on/off statuses with VA and TARGET (however not impossible).

    Best regards!

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Brigetiol1 View Post (Source)
    Hi,

    I've made some experiments with the TARGET software in the past, the button backlights can't be controlled separately, only the two small LEDs on the upper left/right. Together, that is four, so gears/scoop/hardpoints/lights (or whatever) status could be displayed with some additional plugin stuff... It was just a pain to follow the on/off statuses with VA and TARGET (however not impossible).

    Best regards!
    That's pretty much my understanding. You can adjust the backlighting on a per-MFD level but not per button. I was thinking about those 4 LEDs as status lights.
    I've got a proof of concept library/utility that sets the LEDs at https://github.com/AndreMessier/ThrustmasterMFDLights Just need to figure out how to link those to the statuses. I could probably get gear, hardpoints, and cargo scoop from VA but masslock would need to come from elsewhere.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by AndreZero View Post (Source)
    That's pretty much my understanding. You can adjust the backlighting on a per-MFD level but not per button. I was thinking about those 4 LEDs as status lights.
    I've got a proof of concept library/utility that sets the LEDs at https://github.com/AndreMessier/ThrustmasterMFDLights Just need to figure out how to link those to the statuses. I could probably get gear, hardpoints, and cargo scoop from VA but masslock would need to come from elsewhere.
    Gear, hardpoints, scoop and masslock are all in status.json - in the Flags field.

  12. #12
    From the previous "to-do-list":
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    1) font / text size;
    2) customisable "button" (i.e square next to MFD button) assignment;
    3) save / load window positions / sizes and button assignments;
    4) something to put in the middle square.
    Item 1 is pretty much complete - with the added bonus that the main overlay window is now resizable (via a settings dialog).

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    From the previous "to-do-list":

    Item 1 is pretty much complete - with the added bonus that the main overlay window is now resizable (via a settings dialog).
    Items 2 pretty much complete and 4 started (the position and destination data from the overlay window is now in the middle of MFD0 as well (likely to be optional).

    .... just settings savings to go for first release.

  14. #14
    Great stuff, looking forward to trying this.

  15. #15
    Saving of window state (i.e. displayed or not and, in the case of the overlay, which elements are visible and for the MFDs, the size of the window (overlay window size is dictated by fontheight whereas MFD window size is user specified)) and position complete. Settings will auto-load if desired.

    Saving of MFD "button" assignment next.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast