Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Thread: StatusDisplay - status.json display and surface navigation assistant.

I finally got to set up my cockpit with the StatusDisplay app, it looks pretty cool with real data going to it behind the MFDs. I ran into a weird thing though, probably a small bug.

When I open the app, starting from scratch, and clicked on the MFD0 set button I got a totally green window. I couldn't get anything to show on the screen until I lucked on setting the X Border setting to something other than 0%, then I ended up with vertical lines on my green window. Setting the Y Border to 1% then created the rest of the on-screen graphics and everything was normal after that. I could then set the X and Y borders to 0% again with no issues.

I tried starting from default on my work laptop and it seems 0.0.3.7 shows the same issue.

Sadly, I need to rework the MFD attachment design, the industrial tape I bought was misrepresented by the seller as being suitable for attaching glass to smartphones and tablets. If it was it should have been strong enough to attach the MFDs to the LCD screen. Checking 3M's site I found it was more suitable for attaching nameplates or bonding foam.

I took a long look at 3M's recommendations and they make a double-sided tape for attaching control panels to an LCD screen. That would be 3M VHB 4941 tape.

Thanks again for a bug report. If you could post the contents of the INI file here, it'd be appreciated.

ETA: Tried it here and it does the same.

Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Thanks again for a bug report. If you could post the contents of the INI file here, it'd be appreciated.

ETA: Tried it here and it does the same.
    Yeah, I noticed that if I save the config with the blank screen and then load the .ini, the screen is populated properly.

Originally Posted by Brian of Ardagh View Post (Source)
    Yeah, I noticed that if I save the config with the blank screen and then load the .ini, the screen is populated properly.
    Indeed.

Bug found and exterminated for next Beta release.

Thanks again.

There is a question. How can I transfer settings between computers?

Just copy the INI file to the other PC.

Beta 0.0.3.8 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...180816-1827.7z

Change log:

1) Slight tweak to overlay width to better accommodate journal / comms panels.
    2) Fix to NPC name being displayed incorrectly on receipt of message.
    3) Bugfix to initial settings - fixes initially "blank" MFD displays.

To do list:

As 0.0.3.7 (some progress made on "orienteering").

More progress made - "orienteering" has now been renamed "Navigation".

There will be a json file, either co-located with the journals / status.json or with the executable itself, called "navigation.json".

This file will contain a list of json entries plus header and footer. Each entry can contain the location of a POI or a route. Each route can be either a point-to-point track or a circuit that will require one or more laps to complete. Example below (format not yet final):

Code:
    { "timestamp":"2018-08-17T06:30:00Z", "event":"NavigationHeader" }
    { "timestamp":"2018-08-16T08:00:00Z", "event":"Route", "Name":"Test Route #1", "Creator":"Robert Maynard", "Type":"Test 1", "Class":"Test 2", "Body":"Test Body", "BodyID":0, "Radius":-1.0, "Waypoint":[ { "Name":"P0", "Latitude":0, "Longitude":0, "Proximity":-1.0, "Altitude":-1.0, "Time":-1 }, { "Name":"P1", "Latitude":0, "Longitude":1, "Proximity":-1.0, "Altitude":-1.0, "Time":-1 }, { "Name":"P2", "Latitude":0, "Longitude":2, "Proximity":-1.0, "Altitude":-1.0, "Time":-1 }, { "Name":"P3", "Latitude":0, "Longitude":3, "Proximity":-1.0, "Altitude":-1.0, "Time":-1 } ] }
    { "timestamp":"2018-08-17T06:35:00Z", "event":"POI", "Name":"Dav's Hope", "Creator":"Frontier", "Type":"Material Source", "Class":"N/A", "Body":"Hyades Sector DR-V C2-23 A 5", "BodyID":0, "Waypoint":[ { "Name":"Dav's Hope", "Latitude":44.8180, "Longitude":-31.3893 } ] }
    { "timestamp":"2018-08-17T06:30:00Z", "event":"NavigationFooter" }

After further deliberation, I've decided to attempt to expand the scope slightly and increase possible waypoint types to include docking at specific stations / planetary bases. This may take a bit longer....

In this way, routes need not be limited to a single landable body and could be, for example, a trip round the rare producing stations.

I've started creating my test route - based on a circuit of Dav's Hope, collecting data / materials. The image below is collated from the StatusDisplay recording (i.e. all journal and status.json lines in the order that they are published by the game) of eight laps:

"Gold" points are where collection occurred; grey points are on the circuit; yellow points are suggested intermediate waypoints between collection points. With careful setting of proximity criteria (for determining whether a waypoint has been reached), this should provide a reasonable basis for the test route.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789