Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS4 Controller Speaker

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    I would definitely want this to be optional. I personally prefer my very nice "home theater" speakers over the tiny, tinny DS4 speaker. IIRC, the original reason for that speaker in the DS4 was for player voice comms.
    in my experience having dialog prompts, warnings and such from a different audio source/speaker then 'main' audio can help make it easier to notice.

I would definitely want this to be optional. I personally prefer my very nice "home theater" speakers over the tiny, tinny DS4 speaker. IIRC, the original reason for that speaker in the DS4 was for player voice comms.
    Generally the controllers' speaker is used for secondary audio, like in game comms, phone calls, audio logs, specific warnings chimes etc, which was likely always its' main intention.

Normally when someone wants to speak to other players they use a headset or even the single bud headphone and mic which came with the system (even as cheap as it looks and feels, it does work, though Bluetooth headsets/earpieces are generally better), though for when you don't want to connect a mic and wear a earbud/headset (or just don't feel like talking, but still want to hear other people talk) most multiplayer games, such as Battlefield games, Rainbow Six etc, play player audio though the main speakers.

For example, the PS4 version of GTAV, as mentioned, plays phone calls through the controller speaker by default, but it still plays all other sounds, including player audio if a mic isn't connected and in vehicle radio through the main speakers - really the speaker is normally used for more incidental/atmospheric sounds, in most games, rather than any other types of audio present .

(Also off topic, but in reference to your signature - Tea in Elite's time, sells for more than aluminium and explosives, probably because it can only but grown on Earth for some reason and has to be shipped all over the Galaxy... .)

I've added this to the new list of on going PS4 feature requests https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post5157963

From my understanding though I don't utilize it, except for the ear phone where as I use ear buds, one must plug in their hotas if they use one first and foremost, and then start the game, making it the main controler, once done, one can then plug in the DS4 and use ONLY the finger pad and the earphone jack. Moving any of the buttons or joysticks, cause the hotas issues and one will have to reasigned any various buttons they reconfigured for the hotas.

Perhaps the prevalent nature of stereo headset users in modern gaming, has caused Frontier to not bother, as in their opinion, it wouldn't be widely used?

Nobody I know on Xbox uses their TV speakers. All of them are running a stereo headset.

I imagine the numbers are similar on PS4.

Originally Posted by Alonya Ruslana View Post (Source)
    Perhaps the prevalent nature of stereo headset users in modern gaming, has caused Frontier to not bother, as in their opinion, it wouldn't be widely used?
    I can tell you don't own a PS4 .

When I am playing on my own and just chilling using the surround system is the best way to enjoy Elite Dangerous. I do when wanting to chat and stuff use headphones.

What its all about is adding atmosphere and believe me, the games that support it do it very well so I don't think it would be wasted at all.

GTAV has been quoted as a great example for the cell phone calls and such or when being wanted with the added blue and red flashing light bar and cop radio chatter, GTA also uses the lightbar very well. FDev while they use the lightbar with the PS4 they have not done much with it rather than using green and amber / red warning.

Originally Posted by stormyuk View Post (Source)
    I can tell you don't own a PS4
    Hey now, careful with the stereotyping I often use headphones with my PS4, which is even easier than it was on PS3 since we can plug our headphones into the DS4 itself.

I really like the sound of this idea.
    Could work for the srv radar chirping as well.

Originally Posted by Speedcuffs View Post (Source)
    That would be actually pretty awesome.

Originally Posted by Speedcuffs View Post (Source)
    Great idea. Also the planet sounds in the system map. The ship computer's voice. Galnet audio. It would be great if we could assign different audio sources to either the main speaker or the DS4 in the game's audio menu.

Its a fantastic idea, as people have said before, ship voice and srv radar through the speaker would be immense.
    I use a flight stick on ED but i remember jumping out my skin on occasion due to noises from the psc playing other games*

*Ie: before i got ED

Amplifying the scanner chirp when facing a target would be a great help, especially for anyone who bounces around amateurishly like me or has to play when kids are asleep with the sound quite low. Nice idea!

+1 to the idea
    That would be so great

Have to agree with Duck here. I also play through my home theater system and some very nice BOS head phones. But The control speaker does hold a certain appeal from time to time. Id like to hear Galnet through it...

This was a feature on a space combat game called Strike Suit Zero, and it was more annoying than anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12