Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Crime System Changes

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee

Crime System Changes

Hello Commanders!

Here’s an update on some elements of the new crime system.

We’re going to make the following changes. Note that these changes will now likely drop when the update goes live, but we will still be able to pull a large number of number levers after launch, for fine tuning the results.

1. Interstellar Factors will no longer charge a premium to clear bounties and fines. At the end of the day, we felt that the disconnect between the amount shown in the cockpit interface and the cost at using the Interstellar Factors was confusing, especially now that they are the only way to pay off bounties.

2. Interstellar Factors will not allow you to pay off fines or bounties unless your Notoriety is at zero. Notoriety will decay at the rate of one point per hour of game time. So whilst you have Notoriety, you’ll need to either store your hot ships, or fly wanted.

3. The murder bounty currently gets increased by two formulas: a fraction of your rebuy multiplied by your Notoriety, and a fraction of the victim’s rebuy multiplied by your Notoriety. We’re changing the second formula. It will become: you pay ten percent per point of Notoriety of the difference between your rebuy cost and the victim’s rebuy cost. If your rebuy cost is less than your victim’s, this will be zero. If however, you’re in a fully pimped war-conda attacking a hauler – it will be almost your entire rebuy cost added on to the bounty. It’s important to reiterate that we’ll continue to tweak this number, and others, after launch to make sure the update is as sensible as possible.

4. Around starports, any death that results from collisions will not use either of the extra penalty costs, or increase Notoriety. This is to prevent excessive ram trolling by small, expendable ships. Note that we’re still looking at ramming (and combat logging), but we’ve nothing to announce right now.

5. The rest of the crime changes are, other than some possible number tweaking, likely to remain as they are.

Good stuff here. Thanks, Sandro!

Notoriety is also tied to the ships? I thought it was tied to the commander.....

Looks good, but I would prefer it if any notoriety is gained in Open, it would only decay in Open.

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    Looks good, but I would prefer it if any notoriety is gained in Open, it would only decay in Open.
    Nice

6. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #6
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee
    Hello Commander Roybe!

Notoriety is associated with you as a Commander, and affects all ships your fly in. So although each ship maintains its own set of bounties and fines, the value of murder crimes is affected by Notoriety.

Originally Posted by Roybe View Post (Source)
    Notoriety is also tied to the ships? I thought it was tied to the commander.....
    I don't see where it says that. It says that if your notoriety isn't zero, you have to store your hot ships, or fly wanted, until it decays.

edit: A wild ninja Dev appears!

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    The trouble there is that notorious CMDRs could just leave inhabited space and go AFK for a few hours, so you'd have to also limit notoriety decreases to only happen in populated areas ontop of limiting it to Open.

I like this changes. Thank you!

"If however, you’re in a fully pimped war-conda attacking a hauler – it will be almost your entire rebuy cost added on to the bounty."

I love this.

As I think about it, I'll really have to watch it now, not to squash those mining T6's when pirating them for LTD (or the new good stuff) in my Python

Might consider going back to MK3...

Good changes I think, much easier to understand and it does leave that risk of wanted ships for a time.

Originally Posted by Maka Gucci View Post (Source)
    "If however, you’re in a fully pimped war-conda attacking a hauler – it will be almost your entire rebuy cost added on to the bounty."

I love this.
    don't most gankers fly FDL/FAS though?

Originally Posted by Maka Gucci View Post (Source)

I love this.
    "If your rebuy cost is less than your victim’s, this will be zero."

And ich love this

Just a question on notoriety: in the current proposed system, you can just dispose of notoriety by sitting AFK in a Station for a few hours. I would guess that this is not the goal of the current design. So what would you think about this idea:
    Instead of decreasing notoriety by one for every hour, you have timer on it. When the timer is up, and notoriety would decrease by one, it doesn't automatically do so. Instead you get a message, offering you a mission to redeem yourself.
    - You reject the mission -> timer start anew.
    - You accept and complete the mission -> notoriety is reduced by one, timer starts for the lower tier.
    So just as getting notoriety to 10 requires some effort, cleaning it would again require some work to be done, instead of just AFK waiting it off.

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast