Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Fastest ship in the galaxy

  1. #1

    Fastest ship in the galaxy

    Racers have long known that the Imperial Eagle can boost over 900m/s with appropriate engineering but on paper the Viper Mk III, with its higher base speed (320 vs 300), could cruise faster. The two ships have the same base boost speed (400) and with its lower mass the Imperial Eagle can reach its potential much more easily. Short of being outrageously lucky under the 2.x engineering system you couldn't build a Viper light enough to attain its top speed.

    With the changes to engineering in 3.0 we can choose our experimental effects and finally push the Viper's mass low enough to reach its theoretical maximum 745m/s boosting to 932ms/.

    To do it we need, of course, Enhanced Performance Thrusters with fully maxed grade 5 Dirty Drive Tuning and the Drag Drives experimental effect for a maximal multiplier of 2.3296.



    In order to hit that multiplier we need to get to ship's fully laden mass below the minimal mass of 61.25T.

    Lightweight mods for sensors and life support will help.





    A 2D power plant with the Overcharged Power Plant mod is juicy enough even with a grade 1 modification to power the ship. Higher grades are overkill and only increase the negative effects for no benefit. With the Stripped Down experimental effect the power plant is as light as we can fit.



    There is finally a use for the Faster FSD Boot Sequence mod. It's the only frame shift drive mod that doesn't have a mass penalty, making it the perfect platform for the Stripped Down experimental effect which can push our drive's mass as low as it will go.



    Although the Viper's cruise speed is its strength, there's no point being able to boost to 932m/s and not doing it. A 3D power distributor with the Engine Focused mod - which now goes up to grade 5 - can get close to perma boost and is light thanks once more to the Stripped Down experimental effect.



    Vroom!

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    Racers have long known that the Imperial Eagle can boost over 900m/s with appropriate engineering but on paper the Viper Mk III, with its higher base speed (320 vs 300), could cruise faster. The two ships have the same base boost speed (400) and with its lower mass the Imperial Eagle can reach its potential much more easily. Short of being outrageously lucky under the 2.x engineering system you couldn't build a Viper light enough to attain its top speed.

    With the changes to engineering in 3.0 we can choose our experimental effects and finally push the Viper's mass low enough to reach its theoretical maximum 745m/s boosting to 932ms/.

    To do it we need, of course, Enhanced Performance Thrusters with fully maxed grade 5 Dirty Drive Tuning and the Drag Drives experimental effect for a maximal multiplier of 2.3296.

    http://elite.furrycat.net/images/shi.../thrusters.jpg

    In order to hit that multiplier we need to get to ship's fully laden mass below the minimal mass of 61.25T.

    Lightweight mods for sensors and life support will help.

    http://elite.furrycat.net/images/shi...dy/sensors.jpg

    http://elite.furrycat.net/images/shi...ifesupport.jpg

    A 2D power plant with the Overcharged Power Plant mod is juicy enough even with a grade 1 modification to power the ship. Higher grades are overkill and only increase the negative effects for no benefit. With the Stripped Down experimental effect the power plant is as light as we can fit.

    http://elite.furrycat.net/images/shi...powerplant.jpg

    There is finally a use for the Faster FSD Boot Sequence mod. It's the only frame shift drive mod that doesn't have a mass penalty, making it the perfect platform for the Stripped Down experimental effect which can push our drive's mass as low as it will go.

    http://elite.furrycat.net/images/ships/speedy/fsd.jpg

    Although the Viper's cruise speed is its strength, there's no point being able to boost to 932m/s and not doing it. A 3D power distributor with the Engine Focused mod - which now goes up to grade 5 - can get close to perma boost and is light thanks once more to the Stripped Down experimental effect.

    http://elite.furrycat.net/images/shi...istributor.jpg

    Vroom!
    I had theorized the Viper MkIII would be the onlt ship capable of rivaling with the Ieagle in speed but now I got to see a real one, well done.

    BTW, I'd reccomend an ED shipyard or Coriolis post with its stats to get a better picture of it.

  3. #3
    Nice, now if only a combat fit wouldn't weigh it down as much...

    Anyone remember the Viper losing its high boost (think it was 500 to 400 m/s) because it was too fast?

  4. #4
    I wonder if 932 is the upper limit for boost speed?
    My iEagle hits the same max boost as your viper:


  5. #5
    They both have the same boost speed of 400 and can fit the same thrusters. Hence they are able to reach the same modified boost.

    There's nothing magic about 932. All ships follow the formula and have their speed limited by the artificial (and hidden) base speed and base boost speed stats of the hull.

    If Frontier introduced a new ship with a higher base boost it could go faster subject to fitting within the mass profile of the thrusters.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    They both have the same boost speed of 400 and can fit the same thrusters. Hence they are able to reach the same modified boost.

    There's nothing magic about 932. All ships follow the formula and have their speed limited by the artificial (and hidden) base speed and base boost speed stats of the hull.

    If Frontier introduced a new ship with a higher base boost it could go faster subject to fitting within the mass profile of the thrusters.
    Fantastic info... also bookmarked that link you supplied to your other post... Thanks! (+rep)

  7. #7

  8. #8
    I was building the Kfir as a military or secure transport craft using those size 3 slots for cargo racks because then it matches the cargo capacity of a Hauler and Adder, but now.....

  9. #9
    I'm a bit puzzled. Now that Engineers has changed, you can basically use the OP as a blueprint and re-create the layout. However, I've done exactly those mods and am 2 tons heavier! I note that there's a 'modification' icon next to the lightweight alloys in the screencaps but no details. What was the mod on those? If it's a lightweight mod, I thought lightweight alloys were supposed to effectively wheigh zero anyway?

    Yours confusedly, a fellow ultra-fast Viper mod type guy

  10. #10
    Is there limits per a ship how fast they can go?

    I got my racing icourier to 885 and I cant get it to go any further.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Duckfather View Post (Source)
    I'm a bit puzzled. Now that Engineers has changed, you can basically use the OP as a blueprint and re-create the layout. However, I've done exactly those mods and am 2 tons heavier! I note that there's a 'modification' icon next to the lightweight alloys in the screencaps but no details. What was the mod on those? If it's a lightweight mod, I thought lightweight alloys were supposed to effectively wheigh zero anyway?

    Yours confusedly, a fellow ultra-fast Viper mod type guy
    The Viper has a class 2 fuel tank, so 4T of fuel. Drop this down to a class 1 and get those precious 2T back.

  12. #12
    Just saw this and I'm likely going to try to replicate some of it.

    One thing I wondered about, though: what if you go with a 3A distributor instead of 3D? Could you get true perma-boost that way, at some fractional cost to top speed?

    I'm probably going to try it and see.

  13. #13
    I'm glad to see people trying to go fast in live. It was a lot easier for me to spam Iron in beta to get this build.

    Originally Posted by Duckfather View Post (Source)
    I note that there's a 'modification' icon next to the lightweight alloys in the screencaps but no details
    Heavy Duty gives you extra hull hitpoints which helps if you crash race into an obstacle. The mass penalty doesn't apply because, as you noted, the lightweight alloys have no mass in the first place.

    Sadly kinetic resistance applies to weapons labelled with kinetic damage, eg multicannon, and does not offer additional protection from crashing racing into things.



    Originally Posted by Gun Star View Post (Source)
    Is there limits per a ship how fast they can go?
    Yes. Each ship has a base speed which is modified by the "multiplier" on the thrusters. Since thrusters can only be engineered to a capped multiplier, each ship has an individual cap.

    Assuming fully engineered 2.3296 multiplier on class 3 enhanced thrusters, a Courier with base speed 280 and base boost speed 380 could reach 652.2880 and boost to 885.2480.

    So you are at the cap.

    Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    what if you go with a 3A distributor instead of 3D? Could you get true perma-boost that way
    Yes 3A will perma-boost but even with Stripped Down it will put you above minimal mass and lose you some top speed.

  14. #14
    It is thanks to people like you that's this forum remains one of the best source of E.D. informations...

    Many thanks!

  15. #15
    Wow! Mind truly blown. Awesome work. Proves I have absolutely no idea about engineering at all. Twice as fast as a stock Cobra! So very cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast