Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: SLI in Elite Dangerous working (with or without Oculus VR)?

  1. #1

    SLI in Elite Dangerous working (with or without Oculus VR)?

    So...anyone know if SLI actually works in Elite. I have to 1070tis in SLI and one of the cards is completely idle when I play Elite. I tried it in VR with Oculus and Desktop mode (non VR). Both modes do not seem to use the second card at all. In the Nvidia Control Panel, I have SLI configuration set to "Maximize 3D performance". That is suppose to mean it is in SLI right?

    I have googled about this, but could not find anything meaningful. I did find a thread where someone could not get SLI to work in non VR mode when they had Oculus home installed. Is this some known issue?

    If anyone has any info, it would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by Ameer214 View Post (Source)
    So...anyone know if SLI actually works in Elite. I have to 1070tis in SLI and one of the cards is completely idle when I play Elite. I tried it in VR with Oculus and Desktop mode (non VR). Both modes do not seem to use the second card at all. In the Nvidia Control Panel, I have SLI configuration set to "Maximize 3D performance". That is suppose to mean it is in SLI right?

    I have googled about this, but could not find anything meaningful. I did find a thread where someone could not get SLI to work in non VR mode when they had Oculus home installed. Is this some known issue?

    If anyone has any info, it would be much appreciated.
    Unfortunately SLI/Crossfire is not supported. Sad but true.

    Edit: My own experience with dual cards (AMD 290's) was that the game actually ran worse when Crossfire was enabled in VR.

  3. #3
    What!?!...say it ain't so. Didn't SLI use to work? I could swear it was working for me when I had two 460tis

  4. #4
    SLI works fine for me. Running with the SLI indicator on, using 2x GTX 1070. Both cards are active, one with PhysX and one doing everything else. I'm not running VR, and only running one (large) screen.

    S

  5. #5
    Haven't used SLI, but there have been other threads in this sub-forum that have categorically stated that ED does not support SLI i.e. only uses one card. Meh..don't know.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Sysmon View Post (Source)
    SLI works fine for me. Running with the SLI indicator on, using 2x GTX 1070. Both cards are active, one with PhysX and one doing everything else. I'm not running VR, and only running one (large) screen.

    S
    If SLI was supported, surely the load on both cards would be the same?

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Dooguk View Post (Source)
    If SLI was supported, surely the load on both cards would be the same?
    I think if PhysX is disabled, the load on both cards would be the same if SLI is enabled, as PhysX would be handled by the CPU. With one card dedicated to PhysX, the cards will run different roles and the PhysX cards may be mostly active when doing certain tasks such as creating effects.

    I see both cards working, although the PhysX card works less and more occasionally. I switch them round from time to time...

    S

  8. #8
    Elite doesn't use physx and does it's calculations on cpu regardless.

    SLI is not supported. I do however believe Nvidia has been getting better at silently disabling it for the titles doesn't support it in vr. About a year ago this didn't happen properly for most and the end result was worse performance than with just one card.

    The fact of reality remains.

    Elite and most major vr titles still does not support SLI or Crossfire.
    PERIOD.

    Eventually this may change for mainstream vr titles that use Unity and the Unreal engine.
    But developers with their own engine like FD or SMS (project cars) this is likely not going to happen.

  9. #9
    Sorry to differ, but outside of VR SLI is (or was) definitely supported and certainly worked during Horizons on my 2 x 780GTX's up to Nov 2017. Using the green overlay SLI indicator, you could see a pretty good performance spread across both cards and I was getting (in supercruise) 200+ FPS which dropped to 90-110 (resolution = 4800x1200 triple screen). This was on a 4790K rig with 32GB of 2600Mhz RAM and no other devices using the PCI-e lanes, which also helps

    In VR is a different matter possibly (even though I had it forced on in the NVidia control panel). I got my Rift in Oct/Nov 2016, but I would say its inconclusive whether SLI was working in VR, as the SLI overlay indicator wasn't or couldn't be displayed. However, I ran the 2x780GTX rig with acceptable performance, with the only downside being that planet geometry and shading got messed up occasionally. So I can only conclude that either SLI was working, or the Rift's GPU requirements are not as severe as Oculus and others make it out to be.

    All that said, I wouldn't recommend anyone getting an SLI rig currently, as support is "spotty" and/or amiguous, at best. Let's just hope that the GPU makers put on their man pants and take some risk with the crypto-miners being around for a bit and ramp up production and/or release the new generations they have been sitting on.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Mr Teatime View Post (Source)
    Sorry to differ, but outside of VR SLI is (or was) definitely supported and certainly worked during Horizons on my 2 x 780GTX's up to Nov 2017. Using the green overlay SLI indicator, you could see a pretty good performance spread across both cards and I was getting (in supercruise) 200+ FPS which dropped to 90-110 (resolution = 4800x1200 triple screen). This was on a 4790K rig with 32GB of 2600Mhz RAM and no other devices using the PCI-e lanes, which also helps

    In VR is a different matter possibly (even though I had it forced on in the NVidia control panel). I got my Rift in Oct/Nov 2016, but I would say its inconclusive whether SLI was working in VR, as the SLI overlay indicator wasn't or couldn't be displayed. However, I ran the 2x780GTX rig with acceptable performance, with the only downside being that planet geometry and shading got messed up occasionally. So I can only conclude that either SLI was working, or the Rift's GPU requirements are not as severe as Oculus and others make it out to be.

    All that said, I wouldn't recommend anyone getting an SLI rig currently, as support is "spotty" and/or amiguous, at best. Let's just hope that the GPU makers put on their man pants and take some risk with the crypto-miners being around for a bit and ramp up production and/or release the new generations they have been sitting on.
    Yes, SLI is perfectly supported, in 2d.

    But this is the VR dedicated section of the forum.


    It is a fixed defined point of reference for every topic of this entire section of the board.

    If you want to talk regular SLI support you are in the wrong place.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post (Source)
    Yes, SLI is perfectly supported, in 2d.

    But this is the VR dedicated section of the forum.


    It is a fixed defined point of reference for every topic of this entire section of the board.

    If you want to talk regular SLI support you are in the wrong place.
    Isn't that a bit of an extreme interpretation of the forum rules, given the OP asked about both scenarios? I guess the mods could create two duplicate threads in two different sections and then I could answer the OP's original questions in each, but that would also break the forum rules on duplicate posts and require both posts and answers to be merged into one thread in the VR section, whereupon they would have to be further duplicated to answer them all again ad infinitum, causing a Forum overload and the end of days

    I vote we call this phenomenon TorTorden's Paradox of Absolutes

  12. #12
    I use 2 AMD R7 360's in a total AMD self built machine with no problems in Crossfire mode. - Tried Rx 460's but the game does not support them yet.
    So they are still inbox waiting for the Beyond updates to include those as well.

  13. #13
    Haven't you learned - it's Tor's way or the highway.

    Anyway, I believe the OP was asking if Oculus Home somehow disables SLI even when running the game in 2D (so it is somewhat VR related). I used SLI with two 970'w w/o any problems up until I got the Rift, when I bought a 1080. I clearly got higher FPS with two 970's, compared to when I only had one installed. I never tried SLI with VR because it was stated that it was not supported.

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by IPFreely View Post (Source)
    I use 2 AMD R7 360's in a total AMD self built machine with no problems in Crossfire mode. - Tried Rx 460's but the game does not support them yet.
    So they are still inbox waiting for the Beyond updates to include those as well.
    Are you saying you ran Crossfire in VR with no problems?