Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ironman / Permadeath

Ironman / Permadeath

So my twin-brother Cmdr WotnoChad and I have created new xbox accounts using alternative Email addresses and are now having a blast ( not literally, as I fly a Hauler ! only one small hardpoint ! ) in Open Play ( at the moment, might go back ta Mobius).

On my main / original account I have been playing in the Mobius Console Private Group more and more recently, when last Friday Cmdr Wotno' mentioned Ironman Mode.

So after a bit of faffing about I ended up using using my Gmail email ( we have all got one havent we ? if we wanna use YT and suchlike ), then
    created a new Cmdr 'TrevSim' ( feel free to add me,..... and 'Wotnox' (my twin) .

So anyway having only one small ! hardpoint ! and taking my current career of Salvage and Small Goods Haulier ( once a smuggler allways a smuggler ) into consideration .....I am thinking that judicious use of a Small Missile launcher followed by expedient use of 'Brave Sir Robin' tictacs will be the the preferred course of action instead of my usual 'Whatever, bring in on' attitude that I used to find myself adopting whilst piloting my old Python on my main acc'.

Just wanted ta say I am finding this permadeath/ironman thing > blinkin' great fun and a challenge ta boot.
    Those 'really' early game ships are not given the respect they deserve ( welldone FDev ) I jumped past the Hauler and the Adder and had a nagging feeling that I had missed out on something.

@ Uni/Alonya > might even end up piloting a Cobra Mk3..!

Care to tell us your story/experience ( if you have ever , or are trying it ) ?

ps We will probably use this if or when are ships explode

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...-in-their-game!

Glad you like the ejection table!

This is awesome.. brave sir robin no shame!!!!

Please, keep us updated with your progress to Elite with 0Cr in rebuy!

ive been debating doing this until next update - i've kind of lost the urge to play at the minute knowing all the updates that are coming - this may freshen it up for a while

Used to play the ironman thing, even wiped the save 5 times...but it got boring because I love big ships which take big resources. Type 9, type 10 and soon a cutter...the conda just doesnt do it fer me, never did and never will cos I dont like the shape or the cockpit. Grinding up to get the cutter...has cost me a few rebuys so far but thats ok...credits arent an issue and I use a clipper so its only a 5m rebuy which is small change.

I stopped playing ironman some time ago because I simply couldnt role play my mind around smelly presence or dying in the srv...and because I love using slf, it wasnt something Im prepared to give up, so I stopped playing ironman full stop instead. Other factors went into it, but thats the fundamental reason why I stopped...likes of the idiot crew member flying a T9 face first into a mountain while trying to follow me, thats another cool reason as it cost me so much hull HP, I just suicided back to jacques.

That was a knee jerk temper lost reaction...that was the first time I ever suicided back to somewhere and the last time I wiped my save. In total, I have over 3k hours over two accounts...Im here long enough to know what I like and dont like and playing ironman just put some things out of reach, and those are the things Im enjoying right now so...no more ironman mode ^

Originally Posted by verminstar View Post (Source)
    Used to play the ironman thing, even wiped the save 5 times...but it got boring because I love big ships which take big resources. Type 9, type 10 and soon a cutter...the conda just doesnt do it fer me, never did and never will cos I dont like the shape or the cockpit. Grinding up to get the cutter...has cost me a few rebuys so far but thats ok...credits arent an issue and I use a clipper so its only a 5m rebuy which is small change.

I stopped playing ironman some time ago because I simply couldnt role play my mind around smelly presence or dying in the srv...and because I love using slf, it wasnt something Im prepared to give up, so I stopped playing ironman full stop instead. Other factors went into it, but thats the fundamental reason why I stopped...likes of the idiot crew member flying a T9 face first into a mountain while trying to follow me, thats another cool reason as it cost me so much hull HP, I just suicided back to jacques.

That was a knee jerk temper lost reaction...that was the first time I ever suicided back to somewhere and the last time I wiped my save. In total, I have over 3k hours over two accounts...Im here long enough to know what I like and dont like and playing ironman just put some things out of reach, and those are the things Im enjoying right now so...no more ironman mode ^
    That's why I created the pilot ejection table and designed it to be flexible. Not everyone's idea of ironman is the same.

Originally Posted by mossfoot View Post (Source)
    That's why I created the pilot ejection table and designed it to be flexible. Not everyone's idea of ironman is the same.
    Flexible and ironman are two words that dont fit easily into the same sentence easily. Fer me, ironman is simple...one life, ye die ye wipe the save...thats how simple and non flexible it is to me, but as ye say everyone has a different notion as to what it really means ^

Flexible and ironman are two words that dont fit easily into the same sentence easily. Fer me, ironman is simple...one life, ye die ye wipe the save...thats how simple and non flexible it is to me, but as ye say everyone has a different notion as to what it really means ^
    Well, yeah, but think of it this way - you're supposed to be able to eject (all previous versions of the game allowed it if you bought the pod). The question before was whether you remembered to eject before your ship blew up (or if you got too cocky and thought you could pull your out of the fire in time). Now you just hear the words "eject" as you explode (and are assumed to always survive).

You're saying that no matter what, no matter how prepared you are for the possibility, when you ship blows up, you die? Even if you're right outside a station and low on fuel? You can't just get out and walk in your spacesuit? Surely there are exceptions to your rule?

There's ironman and then there's just plain masochism.

To me, ideally, an ironman mode still allows for the possibility of ejection and rescue, scaled based on circumstances. Not all ship deaths are created equal. You alone against a swarm of Thargoids = low possibility of survival. You flying with a wing against a lone pirate = high possibility of survival. Running out of fuel in populated system = high possibility of survival. Running out of fuel ten thousand light years from the bubble = low possibility of survival. Crashing into a Neutron Star? DEAD.

Originally Posted by mossfoot View Post (Source)
    Well, yeah, but think of it this way - you're supposed to be able to eject (all previous versions of the game allowed it if you bought the pod). The question before was whether you remembered to eject before your ship blew up (or if you got too cocky and thought you could pull your out of the fire in time). Now you just hear the words "eject" as you explode (and are assumed to always survive).

You're saying that no matter what, no matter how prepared you are for the possibility, when you ship blows up, you die? Even if you're right outside a station and low on fuel? You can't just get out and walk in your spacesuit? Surely there are exceptions to your rule?

There's ironman and then there's just plain masochism.

To me, ideally, an ironman mode still allows for the possibility of ejection and rescue, scaled based on circumstances. Not all ship deaths are created equal. You alone against a swarm of Thargoids = low possibility of survival. You flying with a wing against a lone pirate = high possibility of survival. Running out of fuel in populated system = high possibility of survival. Running out of fuel ten thousand light years from the bubble = low possibility of survival. Crashing into a Neutron Star? DEAD.
    Ive only ever died once to a neutron, but I was absolutely rubbered that night and did it all wrong so me own fault...I took that one fer the team and tried to blame my greed with the wee...oh look squirrel, after it...

Pods are what eve had and as an explorer maybe 30klys out...how exactly does one explain waking up 30klys away in less than 30 seconds in the exact same ship ye died in? I remember those arguments on deranged discussion a year or so back...I lost count how many times said Janeway did it so why not here?

I love role play...so funny at times. But theres a limit to how many excuses ye can think of to make it credible...life is cheap and thankfully...unless yer an idiot who flies a cutter into a neutron not knowing what to do and not having a rebuy...this might not end well. But bottom line is that death is relatively cheap too f3er which one is eternally thankful.

I played that game...made pioneer in a sidewinder only and still wiped it after getting ganked on the return journey. I got nothing left to prove and like I said, I love big ships and I love empire ships...getting them on one life would be a long solo game...a challenge. But liking expensive rank locked shiny and having a laugh by intensionally playing with neutrons and white dwarves, just to see how far ye can push them and occasionally visiting rebuy on ironman mode...the two just aint compatible.

If yer taste is fer small ships, then yer in luck however because that means ironman will be lots of fun ^

I used to play Ironman on a few multiplayer flight sims early on...Red Baron II comes to mind. If you played on the War Server, you didn't have a choice...pilot dies...new character and have to apply to join your squadron/ flight as a newbie...also couldn't use paint schemes/planes from your old character either. I had a few hairy moments in that game.

It never appealed in E-D because of FDevs attraction to handwavium and making rules, dodgy telepresence and lore up as they go along to appease the vocal minority and make compulsory use of poorly thought out game design choices, kinda spoiled it for me.

Pods are what eve had and as an explorer maybe 30klys out...how exactly does one explain waking up 30klys away in less than 30 seconds in the exact same ship ye died in? I remember those arguments on deranged discussion a year or so back...I lost count how many times said Janeway did it so why not here?
    The short and simple answer there is: "game time cannot equal real time." You make allowances that let your brain sleep at night. No, you can't instantly teleport across the galaxy back to the bubble and into a new ship in 30 seconds. But you can't wait for a real-time rescue, either. And you also can't try to use explanations like "clones" (rolls eyes) because that's not the kind of universe the game is playing in (if it was, the assassination of the Emperor back in the first year of the game wouldn't have meant anything).

In short, when you're playing the game, things that happen need to balance out game time with verisimilitude. When you're reading the game (books, news articles, etc...) things need to follow its own consistent SF logic, which can be represented in-game as well as possible, but should not ever be mistaken for being one and the same. Nobody in an Elite novel will ever teleport back to a new ship in 30 seconds, nor will mass cloning of pilots ever be a thing (cloning is clearly shown to be very very rare). And nobody in the game should ever have to wait an hour in an escape pod to get rescued.

Looking forward to 'flying tonight' ( no Carry On pun intended ) might end up buying a Adder just to have a more adaptable ship, though I am finding the Haulers limitations a challenge ( if only the blinkin thing wouldnt overheat so quick when in Silent Running.

Last night....

Cmdr TrevSim of the wholly respectable good ship White Midget

Sitting here in my old paint-worn Hauler, looking at the price of A rated life support systems, jeesh 'owmuch ! time ta
    fire up the Mission Board tab... 'Hmmm Wada we 'av 'ere ?' takes a few minutes to scan up and down various 'job' offers.

Feds.. Nope, Imps.... Nope, Edmundos Mahon's outfit... maybe in the future... Something with a bit of danger attached....
    Ah whats this.. The Gold Mafia would love for a competitors luck to run out in a neighbouring system, Could do with some Data Link hacking practice.

Anyone else want me to deliver to System LP' whatever its called... another scan of the MB...nope allrighty then.
    Slips off Landing pad whilst simultaniously Thusting Forward and Upwards and Retracting landing gear, smiles to self thinking that my investment of the improved TM Hotas controls really enhance ones piloting experience, most of the operating system was running on a ol' Microsoft Xbox One with the HUD holograms viewd via a even older 1080p system.

Would have liked to had my Wingmate Cmdr Wotnox with me for this job, over a mil' Cr's to be made if it can be completed, witch to be honest I think is a long shot. Hmm over 15mins is gonna be spent in Super Cruise, knew it would be something like that .
    Being Mostly Harmless and picking up a Dangerous ranked mission you would of thought I'd of known better !

Hey Ho nothing ventured nothing to be gained methinks.

Jumps to system LP' whateva. Wheres that Nav beacon ? there she is, drops into normal space... two beacons ! lucky me first time.. scanned her just as the local sys' security notice my presence,this system is a medium security level.
    Time to jump back up to super cruise and settle down to do some more research regarding whos operating in the local space, also time to catch up on the bigger picture via Galnet, I got side tracked watching YT vids about that silly blue hairded Imp lady.. something about her having been kidnapped by some dude calling himself 'Overlord' sumink or other, pretentious prat methinks.
    Anyways coming up to the second star 500'000 lys out and its respective orbiting planets including my mission objective.

Throttle down to the 'blue' at aprox 7 seconds away.... lets see wada we hav' a little potato shaped airless icy moon ,0.04 gravity looks fun.
    Orbital flyby of the mission objective settlement general area, glides down to a deep dark canyon with interesting red coloured walls that are a stark contrast to the washed out turquoise of the rock strewn upper surface , yup this canyon should keep me out sight so's as I can approach undetected.
    The canyon runs out at approx' 13 klicks distance from the settlement. What was that place called, nope its gone, we'll call it Barkoff Prospect, seems ta ring a bell.
    Any ways time for a sneaky peak... vertical thrust until I can get a eyeball on Barkoff Prospect, luck is with me today as there is a slight depression in the gently undulating upper landscape.

I land the 'Midget' as soon as I turn her about-face, in readiness of a quick 'Board ship' situation that I anticipate some time in the very near future.

Its good to get outta the Haulers pilot seat with its rather restrictive view field and into the little Scarab.... whats that contrail up in the starlit sky ?
    A dangerous ranked' Mk 4 Viper.. Oh Frag ! Calm down ... Calm down sez I to I. Slows down and stops to observes the Vipers flight patrol pattern.
    Yup he is doing lazy circles of Barkoff Prospect at about 5 klicks altitude.
    Waits for awhile hoping to see him head away on a patrol further afield, doesn't happen.
    Slowly driving towards Barkoff, 3 klick away and keeping a close eye on the dark star filled sky and that darn Viper who doesn't seem to be interested in me or might not have spotted me, I am thinking its more likely to be the latter but am hoping for the former seeing as we are on the dark side of the planet away from the ruddy glare of the large brown dwarf star.

As I approach Barkoff I spot two smallish laser defence turrets, my HUD indicates the location of the Data Panel is slap bang in the middle of the settlements three or so buildings. Time to reacquaint myself with my own turrets controls, hav' ta say I am still getting to grips ( pun intended ) with operating the SRV's turret with the Hotas upgrade, I digress...

Still no 'trespass warning'... whistling a merry tune ta myself.... nothing ta see here Mr Dangerous Viper pilot, just wondered if anyone here knows of a rich Mesosiderite field in these 'ere parts.... ooh whats this... a Data panel... maybe it contains local geographic info that'l help
    a lonely old poor prospector. Applies Hand brake after orientating the SRV to face the direction of exit and then turns on turret control and view.

Alarms go off with a audible and veritable visual fanfare don't they ?
    Gets away from Barkoff' avoiding laser turrets with Mr Dangerous in hot pursuit of me. SRV's shields hold out for about 3 klicks of manic driving trying avoid Mr D', keeping a eye on the HUD's distance from Barkoff.. Dammit shields have collapsed even with fifty percent of SRV's power supply being diverted to 'em.
    Panic induced three hundred and sixty degree spin out whilst trying to 'recall ship' whilst under heavy fire results in Mr D in his Viper scoring a couple of good for him bad for me on me.
    Hull now at seventy five percent !! Where is she ? where is she ? there she is ! Midget you beauty.... veers towards her trying to anticipate her touch down location.
    What on Mars ! she's heading towards Barkoff .
    Midget settles down in what looks like a ol' Terran Music Festival complete with laser light show, not funny not funny. Hurtling back towards Barkoff Frag-me Backwards Festival now. Finger hovering over the handbrake button on the left-hand throttle stick, scoots underneath the protective hull of the good ship 'White midget'.. Blinkin right I wanna board. All goes quiet for a few seconds as the SRV is hoisted up.

Brain now working in overtime, thanks to the cybernetic enhancements I had implanted back in Asellus Primus System running through the sequence of events that I will have to perform to get outta 'ere!
    Wondering what is going on outside, maybe MR D has been ordered to hold fire by the person in charge of Barkoffs security in fear of damage to the settlements buildings, wonders what is being manufacture here..explosives maybe...no time for thoughts, action is needed immediately.

After that things got a bit hazy suffice to say 'I wish I had installed that A Rated Life support system upgrade !

Thanks to mossfoot and No3kins for the Pilot Ejection Table I am sitting in the cockpit of a Sidey Back in Asellus Primus

PS Thanks also to all of ya at Frontier for all the great time I've had, more time than I would like to admit.

start is the best experience for any game.

but of course that's not really ironman if you keep your main account with all your permits, credits, ranks and whatever similar silly and meaningless time sink locks safe.

i've been tempted to clear save often ... but given these braindead mechanics and my interest in the game vaning with time ... not really sure. for now i'll keep my save, it's very handy for 'playing my way' (checking in every 3 months or so).

Tis real ironman I've just created a new gammertag and Elite Dangerous Account with a alternative Gmail address.

ps. this is the Console Section, ergo please dont be so negative @znort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast