Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your intentions concerning Elite: Dangerous and VR

What are your intentions concerning Elite: Dangerous and VR

Hello Frontier,

What are you plans in continuing to develop VR in Elite: Dangerous? Please don't say it will be another useless part of the game, such as PowerPlay and CQC. x.x

I, and others, have made significant investments in VR and would love to see VR capabilities expanded.

With the Vive Knuckles on the precipice of release, some suggestions come to mind. May we have an interactive cockpit where we can actually push buttons and pull levers, and such? And a coffee maker to be able to take a good swig of Joe, virtually, wouldn't hurt, either. Also, the ability to pull up and push down our visors, just by doing the motion would be awesome.

These are little things, I know. But it's the little things that drive immersion.

And finally, can you please model just a few of the different HOTAS out there? Being stuck to one model, and being unable to properly position it just drives me bonkers sometimess.

Checking in to see if Fdev has responded. No? Wake me up next month when someone tries.

It is so difficult sometimes.

What are my intentions?

Honourable of course, we're in love.

Ed Lewis was asked about further VR enhancements (including improvements to interactions with the galaxy map) on last weeks Lave Radio. It's an excellent interview, very candid and engaging and well worth a listen but the bottom line on VR is that currently there's nothing new to announce.

http://laveradio.com/lave-radio-episode-185/

Originally Posted by amadeus1171 View Post (Source)
    Hello Frontier, What are you plans in continuing to develop VR in Elite: Dangerous? Please don't say it will be another useless part of the game, such as PowerPlay and CQC. x.x I, and others, have made significant investments in VR and would love to see VR capabilities expanded. With the Vive Knuckles on the precipice of release, some suggestions come to mind. May we have an interactive cockpit where we can actually push buttons and pull levers, and such? And a coffee maker to be able to take a good swig of Joe, virtually, wouldn't hurt, either. Also, the ability to pull up and push down our visors, just by doing the motion would be awesome. These are little things, I know. But it's the little things that drive immersion. And finally, can you please model just a few of the different HOTAS out there? Being stuck to one model, and being unable to properly position it just drives me bonkers sometimess.
    Huh? ED is already one of the best VR experiences there is, and the majority of players who have VR now play primarily or only in VR. Even if they added nothing more to it, it's still not going to be 'a useless part of the game'...

Originally Posted by mp4x View Post (Source)
    Huh? ED is already one of the best VR experiences there is, and the majority of players who have VR now play primarily or only in VR. Even if they added nothing more to it, it's still not going to be 'a useless part of the game'...
    I agree with this. As long as they don't break VR and stop supporting it, I don't really care what they do to "further" it. Moving my hands around in the cockpit, making coffee and flipping switches, doesn't get me as excited as it should for the amount of work that would require from the devs.

The beauty about VR interaction, and feedback when you interact. Don't discount the reward you'd get by simply flipping a switch to lower your landing gear. And the reward you get when you actually see your HOTAS in the cockpit! VR puts you in the game. And the more in the game you are, the greater then immersion.

And as for ED being one of the best VR experience there is, I disagree. Other AAA games have long since blown ED away when it comes to VR. DCS world allows you to flip switches, and I can't fully describe just how real that felt! I used to fly when I was younger, and having to go through the startup checklist almost made me forgot I was in VR.

And I don't want to hear the argument, "blah blah blah it's too hard." No, it's not. FD needs to figure out where the bottlenecks in their development exists and alleviate them. I suspect it's their custom game engine. I remember also creating a thread asking if our programmers suck, and everyone jumped down my throat. My larynx is still a bit scratchy to this day. But the question needed to be asked. If our programmers do not suck, then something else must suck. We should be much further along in this game than we are. And these blockades need to be identified and removed.

And as for ED being one of the best VR experience there is, I disagree. Other AAA games have long since blown ED away when it comes to VR.
    Id agree with this. Elite Dangerous was the premier title in the Oculus store for a long while, and still does jump to the top during sale events. 2017 saw the launch of some incredible releases for VR games that pushed the media forward beyond Elite.

Elite is still an incredible experience, but the VR development is certainly held back a little by the need to remain flatscreen.
    just like the Lave Radio interview mentioned and is a common theme here, A VR overhaul for the galaxy map would be most welcome.

As for stick model, it would be a great option for people. I bought an X-52 Pro since it’s what the stick was loosely modeled after and I really enjoy it. I’m surprised they didn’t make a T13000 for sure with that sponsorship.

With the hologram tech, switches and things aren’t really needed, I just find myself using the process of navigating the menus rather than button bindings to select functions adds to the immersion. Also flipping switches on the stick does feel good.

The beauty about VR interaction, and feedback when you interact. Don't discount the reward you'd get by simply flipping a switch to lower your landing gear. And the reward you get when you actually see your HOTAS in the cockpit! VR puts you in the game. And the more in the game you are, the greater then immersion.

And as for ED being one of the best VR experience there is, I disagree. Other AAA games have long since blown ED away when it comes to VR. DCS world allows you to flip switches, and I can't fully describe just how real that felt! I used to fly when I was younger, and having to go through the startup checklist almost made me forgot I was in VR.

And I don't want to hear the argument, "blah blah blah it's too hard." No, it's not. FD needs to figure out where the bottlenecks in their development exists and alleviate them. I suspect it's their custom game engine. I remember also creating a thread asking if our programmers suck, and everyone jumped down my throat. My larynx is still a bit scratchy to this day. But the question needed to be asked. If our programmers do not suck, then something else must suck. We should be much further along in this game than we are. And these blockades need to be identified and removed.
    Doubt you'll ever see any of what you mentioned in your OP - flying with motion controls sucks and is nowhere near as precise as flying with a physical device in your hand. Switching between controls (motion to physical) is a PITA and cumbersome, although I do manage with 'hostlers' on my chair for mine. You are asking FDEV to spend a massive amount of time on something that only a small portion of the VR playerbase would be interested in using due to the downside of motion controls for flight control (sure their will be some like yourself) - you have to look at the bigger picture which is that FDEV have a lot of content to deliver that is servicable to both 2D and VR players - such as amotspheric landings, space legs and the updates to the available careers in Elite. To name but a few.

Touch enabled menus and flip switches would be cool, I don't disagree at all. However having to let go your stick to then find, pick up and attach the required motion controllers to then flick a virtual switch is not cool at all.

And as for ED being one of the best VR experience there is, I disagree. Other AAA games have long since blown ED away when it comes to VR. DCS world allows you to flip switches, and I can't fully describe just how real that felt! I used to fly when I was younger, and having to go through the startup checklist almost made me forgot I was in VR...
    Any VR community online will show you that isn't true. ED is one of the constants in VR, it comes up in every VR community, repeatedly, in a positive manner (without getting into the personal pref of what should be IN the game itself etc.) DCS world is an actual simulator, and the price-per-plane is a reflection of the work that goes into each cockpit. To do the equivalent of DCS World, inside ED, would mean purchasing each ED ship for $35~$60 if you wanted to progress past the first free plane/ship(Sidewinder or Su-25 in DCS.) I'm confident ED won't be going down that $ per ship, Star-Citizen path, ever. I'm not disagreeing that more buttons to push or knobs to twirl would be neat, I'm disagreeing with your comment that ED VR will somehow be dead in the water without it. Again, any VR community is loaded with ED CMDRs who love the game just as much as those who play on the Desktop - there's no threat of the VR integration becoming CQC.

Originally Posted by mp4x View Post (Source)
    Any VR community online will show you that isn't true. ED is one of the constants in VR, it comes up in every VR community, repeatedly, in a positive manner (without getting into the personal pref of what should be IN the game itself etc.) DCS world is an actual simulator, and the price-per-plane is a reflection of the work that goes into each cockpit. To do the equivalent of DCS World, inside ED, would mean purchasing each ED ship for $35~$60 if you wanted to progress past the first free plane/ship(Sidewinder or Su-25 in DCS.) I'm confident ED won't be going down that $ per ship, Star-Citizen path, ever. I'm not disagreeing that more buttons to push or knobs to twirl would be neat, I'm disagreeing with your comment that ED VR will somehow be dead in the water without it. Again, any VR community is loaded with ED CMDRs who love the game just as much as those who play on the Desktop - there's no threat of the VR integration becoming CQC.
    I wouldn't compare to DCS. Il 2 Sturmovik BoS/BOM/Kuban for me is the best implemented VR simultor so far

I'm still hoping for a minihud, cos those circles and text around the planets is the most immersion breaking factor for me. If those circles and text looked like they were actually integrated into the hud it might be better,but they are around the actual planet. In 2D it's bearable but in VR it makes me not want to play. CTL ALT G is no good if your trying to get somewhere, you still need the control panel, as all the info is there for you.
    I used to enjoy the early version of the game when I had to look for foreground planets moving against the background stars, and wondering what it was that i was approaching.
    Now it's just Honk and BAM, "you are now approaching a bright orange circle". I'm getting depressed now typing this.

Originally Posted by Yata_PL View Post (Source)
    I wouldn't compare to DCS. Il 2 Sturmovik BoS/BOM/Kuban for me is the best implemented VR simultor so far
    You obviously have not tried DCS 2.5 yet have you. I find it way better than IL2 BOS(especially when it comes to performance)...AND DCS has helicopters which are AMAZING in VR

I agree with OP and have even posted similar requests myself.

But I understand that , as any good Ferengi would tell you, there's no profit in it.

This would have to be paid for somehow and for the moment there are not enough VR players out there .... yet! (maybe?)

I think the best tweaks would be making the handsets work for the system and galaxy maps making navigation planning easier. Some sort of minority report interaction is what I have in mind.

I still switch between 2D and VR myself, so current offering still pretty amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast